Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ex-Tesla and NASA Engineers Make a Light Bulb That’s Smarter Than You

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly I want lights that will turn off when not needed.

That is exactly how I feel about televisions. As long as I can turn it off, it is plenty advanced enough. :smile:

Sometimes I think I would prefer to join the Amish. No electricity. Gas lights and appliances.

But no way would I give up my iPad and the internet.

Gas lights have drawbacks, but they have their own nostalgic appeal that can't be matched by light bulbs that are smarter than you. It would be ideal to have gas lights at a rustic cabin, and these new networked LED bulbs in your main home.

GSP

Last edited:
That is exactly how I feel about televisions. As long as I can turn it off, it is plenty advanced enough. :smile:

Sometimes I think I would prefer to join the Amish. No electricity. Gas lights and appliances.

But no way would I give up my iPad and the internet.

GSP

Haha. All you need are 3G/4G enabled devices and you could! :)

Hey so I'm in the EU but can't really let the thought of getting these installed in my house go... Can someone in the know (Nigel? Bonnie?) please inform me if the "MR 16 fixtures" that are coming (possible to preoreder) are going to be the 12V ones (GU 5.3) or the high voltage ones (GU 10)???

If Stack are planning to make bulbs for the 12V variety I would see no problem plugging them in here in Europe, right?

Multifaceted reflector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey so I'm in the EU but can't really let the thought of getting these installed in my house go... Can someone in the know (Nigel? Bonnie?) please inform me if the "MR 16 fixtures" that are coming (possible to preoreder) are going to be the 12V ones (GU 5.3) or the high voltage ones (GU 10)???

If Stack are planning to make bulbs for the 12V variety I would see no problem plugging them in here in Europe, right?

Multifaceted reflector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll forward your post to them.

Re Europe availability: It's not yet fully determined when bulbs will be ready for this market, but they are definitely targeting this geo. Stack is looking at making everything as compatible as possible with all markets, EU included, which includes the MR16s -- but the details are not yet ready for prime time. Things like distribution and service need to be in place also for a new market, so that customer experience meets Stack's expectations. (And yes, Johan, I know you'd be fine just getting a set early and dealing with customer support on another continent, but it will happen soon enough!)

Keep in mind that Nest is just ramping up in the EU and they've been around for a bit, have been part of Google for about a year, and are very well-capitalized. If Stack tries to chase every opportunity, they'll not do anything well. One step at a time. EU bulbs will be available, details TBD.

Well,,,,, I rule that TEG and Audobonb are a tie!

Each of you PM me your snail Mail address and I will send you a connector protector as promised!!

Got it! Thank you, Lloyd. Since it looks as though it will function just as advertised, then I shall keep my promise and not create another limerick.

For this situation, anyway......:tongue:

Awesome, it's a good move. 2015 is going to get interesting in terms of smart home technology, presumably Apple will get Home Kit going, then there's Google/Nest...I'm still running SmartThings, and (at my day job) we're integrating all kinds of car & home automation/intelligence technology, but the company that finally cracks the UX layer that can talk to multiple platforms, and present a good UX to both novice and experienced users will be the victor.

Pete, (im)patiently waiting for his Stack bulbs.....!

Reviewed entire website and articles/vids. Looks like a great product, might have to go and trial a starter set. I have older version (nondigital) dimmer wall switches which are inadequate for regular dimmable LEDs. ?Not sure if I'd have to swap those dimmers for new digital ones, or maybe just standard light switch because these bulbs have built-in dimming ability.

Reviewed entire website and articles/vids. Looks like a great product, might have to go and trial a starter set. I have older version (nondigital) dimmer wall switches which are inadequate for regular dimmable LEDs. ?Not sure if I'd have to swap those dimmers for new digital ones, or maybe just standard light switch because these bulbs have built-in dimming ability.

You don't need dimmers - the lights will dim automatically based on time of day or ambient light, according to a preset schedule you set up, or on demand through the app.

You don't need dimmers - the lights will dim automatically based on time of day or ambient light, according to a preset schedule you set up, or on demand through the app.

yes, I understand that, but thought you could set min/max lighting ranges via initial setup programming, and also have ability to override via local (wall switch) or remote (app/pc away from home) if needed. My existing wall dimmer switches are not compatible w/ a regular (non alba) dimmable LED because my existing wall dimmer switches are not digitally calibrated. I understand I don't need wall switches to be dimmers for alba , but if I currently placed a dimmable (non alba) LED, my choice would be OFF or ON MAX, rather than various lighting (power) levels, because an LED will not accept those middle settings. Even though that LED could accept calibrated power, the wall dimmer cannot provide the small increments needed (but this doesn't matter to a standard incandescent). I'm assuming alba (being LED) would also not accept anything buy full ON power supply, but uncertain if leaving my current non digitally calibrated older wall dimmers on highest setting would be acceptable to this product

My understanding is that the new bulbs have internal dimming functionality, so the (effectively) on/off switches you have, @rjcbox, are exactly what's expected. Dimming occurs on a per-light basis, so that lights near a window will be putting out less light than those further back in the room. That level of gradation has to be controlled on a per-light basis, not per-circuit.

Yep, per light. Each bulb has sensors for light, movement, and things like temperature (which is why Nest, of course) is now working with them.

Besides the fact that they have more features than competitors, the cool thing about the Stack product is that even if you never ever use the app to set things up, the bulbs will still adjust to the amount of light coming in the room and change from cool daylight (blue) to warm evening (yellow) light as the day goes on. You don't have to do a thing. Some bulbs require controlling through the app - in this case, the app just allows you to fine tune things, but everything works normally if you never do a thing. Only better.

I was lucky enough to spend time at a local bbq restaurant where the bulbs were installed. I asked the owner how hard the system had been to set up. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind and said, 'Ma'am, I've been screwing in light bulbs all my life.'

Okay then!

I asked the owner how hard the system had been to set up. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind and said, 'Ma'am, I've been screwing in light bulbs all my life!

Is this a family-friendly forum?

Okay, didn't think so. Or, How I Learned to Turn a Phrase And Get Banned.........

Sooooo.........How many contortionists does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Yep, per light. Each bulb has sensors for light, movement, and things like temperature (which is why Nest, of course) is now working with them.

Besides the fact that they have more features than competitors, the cool thing about the Stack product is that even if you never ever use the app to set things up, the bulbs will still adjust to the amount of light coming in the room and change from cool daylight (blue) to warm evening (yellow) light as the day goes on. You don't have to do a thing. Some bulbs require controlling through the app - in this case, the app just allows you to fine tune things, but everything works normally if you never do a thing. Only better.

I was lucky enough to spend time at a local bbq restaurant where the bulbs were installed. I asked the owner how hard the system had been to set up. He looked at me like I'd lost my mind and said, 'Ma'am, I've been screwing in light bulbs all my life.'

Okay then!

looks nice, I personally don't like 2700K lighting, I'd rather it range from 3300K to 4200K. Looks like the app would let me set my prefered min max color temps. I suppose I'd allow for 3000K for late night after midnight gaming sessions but most of the time I'd rather have less yellow.

looks nice, I personally don't like 2700K lighting, I'd rather it range from 3300K to 4200K. Looks like the app would let me set my prefered min max color temps. I suppose I'd allow for 3000K for late night after midnight gaming sessions but most of the time I'd rather have less yellow.

Yes, you can easily override the default and set up the parameters you want. By room or by bulb.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a family-friendly forum?

Yes. :)