Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excercising Massachusetts - Right to Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that hasn't heard of this, I believe we're the first state to pass something like this (back in 2012/2013):

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2012/Chapter241

The basic premise is, ever since OBD and CANbus, auto manufacturers have kept many of the new electronics and software bits private/proprietary. And while I understand the need to protect intellectual property, it's really annoying to have to go to so much effort to figure these complicated software bits out without a reference of some sort - especially on a car as advanced as the Model S.

Related to this - I discovered (at TMC Connect 2015) that besides myself, a few other people were having issues getting into the Tesla site:

https://service.teslamotors.com/

I'm looing for a few other Massachusetts residents who are willing to join in to having a lawyer push this a bit (not my lawyer, but one of the other business contacts I met). If you're interested - please post a reply here, or PM me.

thx! Rob

Thanks for the replies - however:
1) Yes, I know about that site, and I actually posted the link right in my first entry! ;-) Problem is - if you try to sign up, it's broken, and I've tried unsuccessfully (for a couple weeks now) to get Tesla to fix it/respond for help (as their web site indicates).
2) More than one person I talked to at the TMC Connect event last weekend has run into... resistance? (From Tesla) When trying to exercise these rights. Case in point - getting the Windows laptop software Tesla Service uses to connect to the CANbus to do diagnostics.
3) Most of the threads you'll find here in the forums are people complaining that the "Service manual" is NOT available ;-)

So - based on my lack-of-success to obtain any of this information so far, it appears to be time to lawyer/government up! ;-)

Using a lawyer to complain about a web site being down seems like a terrific use of your money.

People on here have successfully created accounts & received the information. It costs around the same as BMW ($3000/year for Tesla vs $2500/year for BMW).

3) Most of the threads you'll find here in the forums are people complaining that the "Service manual" is NOT available

Yip, and the service manual will continue to be not available for most people unless they move to MA.

The lawyer is for the ("proprietary") software bit - AFAIK, it's extremely hard to get diagnostic software from *ANY* manufacturer (having tried for BMW, Honda, and Subaru).

And yes - I did see a few posts about getting in and browsing the material (July/2013) - so the (web site) error I'm seeing I will probably be able to get them fix without a lawyer... I'm more disappointed that they are - unresponsive? But this has been a pattern with Tesla Motors on a number of fronts.

I completely understand Tesla trying to limit distribution of this info, and wanting to service all cars itself, until this technology and company is much more established. If something goes wrong, the scare headline will say "Tesla", not the name of the independent shop or owner who did the repair. Like it or not, if we want Tesla to succeed in making EVs a mainstream technology I think we need to cut them some slack on this.

I completely understand Tesla trying to limit distribution of this info, and wanting to service all cars itself, until this technology and company is much more established. If something goes wrong, the scare headline will say "Tesla", not the name of the independent shop or owner who did the repair. Like it or not, if we want Tesla to succeed in making EVs a mainstream technology I think we need to cut them some slack on this.
The problem is, we just assume Tesla is "doing the right thing", and that it's a CYA tactic, not a desire to keep all the service revenue for themselves.

I'd love to see an official company statement, reiterating Elon's sentiment that "service should not be a profit center" and explaining that they are concerned that, in these early days, most mechanics don't understand how to safely work on HV DC systems, but that they have plans to start offering such training and will make the service manuals and diagnostics open to anyone who signs a liability waiver.

Until there's a statement like that, it's hard not to wonder if they have some nefarious ulterior motives.