Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow on SeekingAlpha: "Tesla caught lying about performance again!"
Tesla caught 'lying' again. Model 3 has 293.5 kW based on that dyno test. Makes a change from ICE vehicles which struggle to meet claimed power.
Tesla has likely decided that it will put that motor in its M3, MS, MX, Semi and Roadster and use software to adjust power output. It might have heavier duty cooling for Semi and performance applications so motor can sustain high power for longer.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Was the graph/ video removed? I don't actually see the test or results....

When I modeled the 3 (taking into account gearing, aero, rolling resistance, mass, and expected PMAC characteristics) I anticipated that it would have about 330lb-ft torque flat from 0 to about 35mph (around .6G) where power limits from the pack come into play and it's constant power (about 305hp) from there to close to 100mph then both HP and torque start dropping... With no tweaking, this model closely matched MotorTrend's test data for 0-30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and 1/4 mile as well as the passing acceleration times.
upload_2018-2-23_9-7-26.png
upload_2018-2-23_9-13-15.png

When I modeled the 3 (taking into account gearing, aero, rolling resistance, mass, and expected PMAC characteristics) I anticipated that it would have about 330lb-ft torque flat from 0 to about 35mph (around .6G) where power limits from the pack come into play and it's constant power (about 305hp) from there to close to 100mph then both HP and torque start dropping... With no tweaking, this model closely matched MotorTrend's test data for 0-30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and 1/4 mile as well as the passing acceleration times.
View attachment 282387
I guess the video was removed. I'm not sure why, but maybe a moderator can chime in.

View attachment 282387View attachment 282388

I noticed they've linked to the video in a news item featuring this they put on the front-page, and this thread is the Comments for it there. Maybe they drop the videos when they do that? Here's where there's a pic of the curve screenshot:

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

First glance says they measured it as continuing up from your model, with a higher, and thus shorter, plateau.

Think I got this right.

doesn't seem right, more HP than torque and same power as my P85D, I'll go dyno a Model 3 this afternoon to see, same dyno I put my P85, P85D and P100D on.....

Not sure what you mean. HP is torque * RPM / 5252 (US units), so depending where peak torque is at relative to 5,252 RPM the HP number will be higher or lower than the torque number.

There is also area under the curve to consider. The graph has a near gas-style spike to it.

Low end is dominated by current limit (torque), high end by voltage limit (Back EMF due to RPM). If the two regions meet where the weakest part (pack, inverter, or motor) is not limiting power, then the HP graph has a point. So no flat spot means one or more parts can handle more power, but SW is limiting the current.

Power curve with flat section: current limit (fixed I, increasing V, increasing P): power limit (decreasing I, increasing V, fixed P): voltage limit (decreasing I, fixed V(from inverter, motor back EMF increasing), decreasing P).
Power curve with pointy middle: current limit : voltage limit

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and Cloxxki

View attachment 282387View attachment 282388
This is a great match. Shows exactly what is going on. Physics FTW!
What are the 3 owners seeing for peak KW (viewed on the screen or through the API)? KW's are directly convertible to horsepower. This should be more accurate than a dyno, and much easier. You'll get more power with a warmer battery and a high SoC.
Exactly. What does the kW display say at full throttle at 68mph?

Last edited:
The Model 3 does not display power output. It just has an unlabeled colored bar.
It has a Wh/mi readout, you can use the speedo mi/h to work backwards from that to W. If I understand that feature correctly you'd need to get to the speed you want to check, reset the Wh/mi reading, and then keep it running stable at that speed until that gave a relatively stable number.

It has a Wh/mi readout, you can use the speedo mi/h to work backwards from that to W. If I understand that feature correctly you'd need to get to the speed you want to check, reset the Wh/mi reading, and then keep it running stable at that speed until that gave a relatively stable number.

Yes, but you'd need to stay at that speed at full power for long enough for the computer to update the Wh/mi display and do it long enough for the results to be statistically meaningful (at least a half mile?). I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that.

Yes, but you'd need to stay at that speed at full power for long enough for the computer to update the Wh/mi display and do it long enough for the results to be statistically meaningful (preferably for an entire mile). I'm not sure how you'd accomplish that.
I don't know exactly what the refresh time is on that read-out but agree in that my WAG is a minimum of a minute at the target speed to feel confident.

EDIT: Typically with digital instrumentation, once the numbers stop changing or they're just floating back and forth over a fixed median, you're dialed in to as much accuracy as you're going to get.

Last edited: