Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using this calculator which does not take into account wind or rolling resistance I get 137kW/184hp for a 1741kg/3837lb 0-96.9km/h(60mph) in 4.6 seconds.
That calculation assumes infinite torque at 0rpm. A more accurate model of a Tesla is flat torque up to 40mph and then flat horsepower from 40mph - 60mph. If you do that then you'll get numbers closely matching the published data for the Model 3. Like this:
When I modeled the 3 (taking into account gearing, aero, rolling resistance, mass, and expected PMAC characteristics) I anticipated that it would have about 330lb-ft torque flat from 0 to about 35mph (around .6G) where power limits from the pack come into play and it's constant power (about 305hp) from there to close to 100mph then both HP and torque start dropping... With no tweaking, this model closely matched MotorTrend's test data for 0-30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and 1/4 mile as well as the passing acceleration times.
View attachment 282387View attachment 282388

Last edited:
Does the side shimmy of the car matter? It did change its position a little during the run.
Movement like that seems to be inadequate strapping. When we strapped ours, we went over the control arms and tied to the dyno, itself, to pull the car down onto the rollers, and then tied the car front to back to prevent forward movement. If the car spins on the dyno, it throws all the numbers out by a lot.

Does the side shimmy of the car matter? It did change its position a little during the run.
I run 6 straps. Two straight, then 2 in a X pattern for the back. Then 2 straight ones on the front.
You take it up to 45'ish at 1/2 throttle, then slow it down and stop.
Now you retighten the straps starting with the back.
It usually stays put after that.

Walking on the rollers can be dangerous to bystanders or other cars and equipment in the shop. And that one photo angle from the back? Scary. While not common, sometimes tires will spit debris, or a piece of tread, or even fail. You don't want to be anywhere near that when it happens.

Someone mentioned how loud it is. Hell yeah. Wait until you hear something with some oats. 1000+ hp pulls are 'exciting' yet brief. Like a controlled explosion.

So it seems the current battery revision is capable of delivering 370kW of power (500hp), and inside word is, Tesla is throttling these cars a significant amount. We will be retesting the car on different dynos very soon.

Attachments

• received_10155397081634677.jpeg
    received_10155397081634677.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 98
So it seems the current battery revision is capable of delivering 370kW of power (500hp), and inside word is, Tesla is throttling these cars a significant amount. We will be retesting the car on different dynos very soon.

370KW makes sense for the AWD model, though Tesla will likely throttle that as otherwise it will be quite a bit faster than the Model S AWD models given the same power but 800lb less. We might see very few hardware differences in the motors and inverters between Model 3 AWD and P versions.

Probably more like $70K+ for the performance version of the 3.
It could end up more than that. Or less. I see no reason to doubt it'll have LR, AWD, PUP, and air suspension as a forced bundle. That's roughly 35K+9K+4K+5K+$2K = $55K. With old xxD -> PxxD pricing, the Performance M3 price could easily come in at $65K (before paint, AP, FSB).

Mind you the performance bump from the 85D to the $10K more P85D is, I'm lead to understand, was something but not really a blow-you-away affair.

However if Tesla decides that the Model 3 is going to be more like the mind-melting jump that the 100D -> P100D is, then they'll almost certainly price accordingly and push the price up well over $70K.

I guess the question is where they think there's a hole in their product like to slot it in at? *shrug*