Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autoweek test drive of the Model 3 Performance

They say the RWD has 271hp, AWD has 346hp, and PAWD has 450hp. Which all seems lower than what the EPA filing suggest.

Yeah, they say 335kW (449/ 450 hp) for P, but that is the AWD number per the EPA report.
Of course, the total power may not be the combined max of the two motors, but RWD is also not matching:
RWD at 211 kW is 283 hp
P at 358 kw is 480 hp
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and Performance versions get official EPA ratings

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
We finally retested the Model 3, and a different dyno. This was done on a DynoJet 424xLC2 AWD chassis dyno. We Ran the car 4 times, after a few calibration runs, and we’re fighting wheel spin pretty heavily. Finally got it to hook well by dropping pressures and using some track bite on the rollers. Final results: 310whp, 325ft/lbs of torque. There’s a few horse left on the table due to tire spin, but we are happy with the results.

...310whp, 325ft/lbs of torque...
That is pretty close to the car API reported numbers:

upload_2018-8-7_17-42-15.png

I assume the car was on a recent firmware release. I think it is getting really hard to argue that Tesla nerfed the cars' lower end torque in a recent update.

That is pretty close to the car API reported numbers:

View attachment 323860

I assume the car was on a recent firmware release. I think it is getting really hard to argue that Tesla nerfed the cars' lower end torque in a recent update.
The car is on a recent firmware, and I have heard reports of the torque being nerfed. I have nothing to back this up, other than heresay and butt dynos, so it’s not like we can verify it and do anything about it.

Sasha Anis at MountainPassPerformance did an SoC dyno test on the axle...

View attachment 327730

...no nerf. Numbers are an almost perfect match to the original API data.
What I don't understand from the screenshot above is how e.g. 5627 rpm yields 70.7 km/h ground speed. This implies a tire diameter of 23.6" and circumference of 74.1", yet the RWD 3 has an actual tire diameter of 26.3" and circumference of 82.7" (235/45R18 Tires).

Calcs:
5627 rpm / 9 final drive ratio = 625.2 hub rpm / 60 sec/min * 82.7 in / 12 in/ft = 71.8 ft/s * 3600 sec/h / 3280.84 feet/km = 78.8 kph, not 70.7 kph. Solving for the necessary tire diameter to make this calculation work, we would have 26.3" * (70.7/78.8) = 23.6".

I could have done something wrong, and maybe I just don't understand the dyno result, but it makes me wonder whether the tire diameter was entered incorrectly.

Last edited:
...no nerf. Numbers are an almost perfect match to the original API data.

I believe when Sasha does the dyno runs he disengages the speed sensor on the front wheel to disable traction control. So the motor may not have been detuned, but that doesn't mean that they haven't changed the traction control algorithm that could inhibit the full torque from being laid down at launch.

Has anyone tried to do a 0-60 run with the traction disabled?

I believe when Sasha does the dyno runs he disengages the speed sensor on the front wheel to disable traction control. So the motor may not have been detuned, but that doesn't mean that they haven't changed the traction control algorithm that could inhibit the full torque from being laid down at launch.

Has anyone tried to do a 0-60 run with the traction disabled?

All speed sensors were connected. We are using our Traction/Stability control defeat device, which also lets you retain ABS. There was no interference from the traction control system.

I will let Sasha field the question on the dyno ratio.

-Jesse

Reactions: GregRF
All speed sensors were connected. We are using our Traction/Stability control defeat device, which also lets you retain ABS. There was no interference from the traction control system.

I will let Sasha field the question on the dyno ratio.

-Jesse

Very interesting! Any 0-60 runs with and without the traction control defeat device?