Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how those other installers knew, meaning, who puts in larger stuff for nothing
What other installers? You keep talking about other installers, but the only mention I see in this thread is from a Tesla install. It is completely plausible for a number of reasons that Tesla began instructing its own crews to install the 8-gauge wiring and 40A breakers before they informed third parties. That this was happening seemed to come as news to everybody, including those working in the industry.

Reactions: jhn_ and Electrph
What other installers? You keep talking about other installers, but the only mention I see in this thread is from a Tesla install. It is completely plausible for a number of reasons that Tesla began instructing its own crews to install the 8-gauge wiring and 40A breakers before they informed third parties. That this was happening seemed to come as news to everybody, including those working in the industry.
that is one of many possibilities

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
If the spec does become 7.5, this would have meant folks would have gotten fewer PW's via sgip I believe?

Lol you know they are just quoting you from the thread about the price increase. You’re just selectively caring about this because it affects you.

For my large scale SGIP, I punched in the same kWh but the higher 7.5 kW per battery capacity into their calculator on the SGIP application website. The calculated rebate increases.

This is because in the old calculation a Tesla Powerwall 2 is a 2.64 hour battery. (13.2/5)

But SGIP steps down the rebate for hours after 2.0. So if you take a hypothetical 13.2/7.5 you’ll get a sub 2-hour system.

So the rebate with the hypothetical v2.1 with 7.5kW capacity remains entirely at the highest possible level under the large scale SGIP.

Your resiliency SGIP is 100% funded for applicable batteries while the large scale is only $0.25 on the first two hours and it decreases the longer the duration. I didn’t make these rules, and I don’t get the logic behind it.

Anyway I hope I can opt out of this “upgrade.” It’s more hassle than it’s worth. I had a tough enough time getting Sunrun to put the correct size conductors instead of under-sizing. Oversized conductors means going through a company that employs people like @Vines... which I regret not going with in the first place.

Here’s another article about this 50% capacity increase.

They messed it up again where the author thinks capacity is energy capacity instead of power capacity. The article literally makes you think the battery will last longer, when the small leakage from Elon would imply the battery duration would actually decrease since that 13.2 kWh isn’t changing. Talk about fake news, amirite?

Last edited:

They messed it up again where the author thinks capacity is energy capacity instead of power capacity. The article literally makes you think the battery will last longer, when the small leakage from Elon would imply the battery duration would actually decrease since that 13.2 kWh isn’t changing. Talk about fake news, amirite?
I am just amazed at how you can never believe what you read. And in the case, they have no idea what they are talking about. Was interesting to see comments on weight decrease and capacity decrease, I must have missed those. But, when the increase in power output, yep, the battery could actually power things shorted, not longer. Oh well maybe we will get some real facts next week.

Is interesting that all the documentation I got for my 2.1 PW's seem to be for the 2.0 version. Date on back says 2017. Cannot find anything on the web for the 2.1 version. Interesting.

We will see. My line diagram from Tesla was done in October '20 and is #10 and 30. I've emailed my Tesla contact and will see if they can respond by Wednesday for what to expect.
let us know what happens. I hope to get real info from Tesla support next week. I have been waiting for the PW3 which I assume would be larger capacity. Luckily for me, more output power is not a deal breaker, but, if one were to change down the road, again, have at least the wiring ready!!!

Maybe electrek changed headline later..
Now it says power capacity

Electrek is not a trustworthy source of information. It's clear that they do no due diligence or fact checking on what they publish. I think they literally throw stuff up and ask for comments then adjust if lots of people complain. They often have little understanding about the things they publish like not knowing the difference between energy capacity vs power capacity. They also incorrectly touted bidirectional charging hardware already in M3 not too long ago.

Just got a chance to pop the sides off my PWs and check, my three installed December 2020 are 2.1. So as someone stated above, these have been “in the wild” awhile. I don’t think enough facts exist to say this hardware rev will have anything to do with any future changes or not.

Its now Monday morning. I have seen nothing from Tesla. I just talked to tesla powerwall support this morning. Her comments is they have no idea what is
going on but the information is supposed to be released on the website this week.
If you are waiting for Tesla to keep to Elon’s optimistic schedule on anything, you’ll be waiting awhile.

Also for just about any large company, the front line support people you can call are the last to know of any changes.

Reactions: Electrph
If you are waiting for Tesla to keep to Elon’s optimistic schedule on anything, you’ll be waiting awhile.

Also for just about any large company, the front line support people you can call are the last to know of any changes.
True, just another data point.

If I were getting a PW now, I sure would tell me installer I want the latest stuff just announced, with 8 gauge wire and 40 amp breaker.

True, just another data point.

If I were getting a PW now, I sure would tell me installer I want the latest stuff just announced, with 8 gauge wire and 40 amp breaker.

IMO, the 8 gauge is fine; but I'm 99% sure Contra Costa would deny the 40 amp breaker on the permit or inspection unless you could produce a spec sheet saying you needed the larger breaker. They've seen so many Powerwall 2's at this point with 30A, their inspectors would be kind of confused if a 40A showed up on the generation panel or TEG2 internal panelboard. At the current 5kW peak "capacity", you should put in a 30A breaker and nothing else.

So, I think the safest best is to get #8 conductors but keep the 30 Amp breakers for the PWs in the initial build. Plus you size all your sub panels, disconnects (yay), and other aspects to be able to handle the possibility of the Powerwalls exporting at 7.5 kW. And then if/when the firmware upgrade becomes available... you pull new permits and get 40A breakers put in when you authorize Tesla to update the "capacity" of your Powerwalls.

I'm not sure how the inspectors and permitting process are in your neck of the woods, but Contra Costa has "Garth" who is notorious for being a hard ass on code compliance. I guess Garth isn't as bad as the lady down there in Palo Alto. Anyway, Contra Costa has a relatively easy e-permitting tool would make something rather inexpensive to update the 30A to 40A if you sized in anticipation of it.