Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations: 2014 Model S P110+ SuperSport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get confirmation, from a Tesla representative, that those 700hp will actually be sent to the wheels at any point in time? Tesla doesn't even mention hp figures in its blog announcement. Isn't 691 bhp the maximum power output of the two motors, independently of what the battery can deliver (which some say is capped to 400-500 hp for the 85 kWh version)? The 0-60 time, which is the only thing we can rely on, is more a function of the 50% increased peak torque that the blog does confirm.

Yea, funny you should mention that.......
It is really going to hurt if I have to shell out $50K for a 600 hp MS. Living in Florida, I can not imagine any need or AWD unless they kept the current motor in the rear and added another 175 hp up front.

WRT performance of AWD alone, there are some really crazy things you can do with torque steer and the like using AWD but nothing that I would get too terribly excited about in a 4600lb car.

After seeing the announcement last night, are you still "not terribly excited" about the P85D? Are you tempted to upgrade?

Not all that excited about torque steer and the like. Am reasonably excited about a (sub?) three second 0-60. Watching the autopilot demo threw me over the edge. I've just got to play with that although it smells like a typical bait and switch Tesla style; that is, hype the end result but drag the process out over a period of time. For example, I am amazed by the fact that there is a SuperCharger infrastructure but seem to remember having my expectations set that there would be significantly more functionality by now. What I have to keep in mind is the importance of (1) how hard the task is, (2) Tesla is the only one even trying and (3) they are delivering. They may not be delivering according to their over optimistic time line typical of engineering types but they are delivering.

and yes, I ordered one.

Why do you want that? More weight and expense for more range. Does the 85 KWh battery not satisfy your driving needs?

Yes the 85 KWh battery would be ok but in Italy the SC network is still not fully implemented so for me the 110 KWh battery would be better. Why you say that the 110 KWh battery would add weight? We don't know what kind of technology would be implemented in the 110 KWh battery. Maybe that it would have more or less the same weight of the 85 KWh battery. Otherwise it wouldn't have sense to have a 110 KWh battery on the Model S (X) IMO.

Why do you want that? More weight and expense for more range. Does the 85 KWh battery not satisfy your driving needs?

When the mass/size of a 100 or 110 KWh pack is the same or less than that of my current 85 KWh pack -- that is, when it fits in the Model S/X without increasing mass/dimensions -- I would be very interested, yes. Our road trips have always been about four hours driving per segment, with 30-40 minutes of break/pitstop/food between them. Skipping every other Supercharger on a road trip would allow us to travel precisely that way, but the P85 doesn't have that kind of range.

In Florida, at 75 mph on the Turnpike toward Orlando (for example), 80F with A/C on full, with the family and weekend bags in the car, my energy use is between 1.3x and 1.4x rated: 390-420 Wh/mile. So my realistic road-trip range is no more than 170 miles (265 / 1.4 - 20 = 169), assuming a 20-mile reserve. To travel 250 miles at 420 Wh/mile, and arrive with a 20-mile reserve, you need 113.4 KWh. So yes, a 110 KWh would be great from my point of view.

Is the 85 enough for the car to be totally useful, and for us to be able to go (nearly) anywhere without range anxiety? Yes for me. But would I like more range, and would I be happy to pay for it? Also yes. The only thing is that the car is already pretty heavy, and the pack takes up a bunch of room, so I understand and accept that the 100/110 packs I would want are likely to be available in a year or few, but probably not this year.

Hope that within the end of this year we will get the 110 KWh battery. :cool:

I'm hoping they will announce it as an option for Model X, with a Model S version coming shortly after. Although, I think I read somewhere that Tesla weren't planning on having a larger battery option until around 2019. :crying:

Up here in central Canada, the spaces between communities are vast (at least several hundred kilometers). Take that, add a decent buffer to account for elevation, wind, temperature, and the possibility of adverse road conditions...and 110kWh would definitely make my travels less stressful. The 85kWh is proving barely sufficient in that regard. As it stands, I cannot travel at all in winter right now.

As has been discussed above, it should be possible to produce a 110kWh pack with a mass very close to that of the 85kWh one, given the year-on-rear refinements to Li-Ion technology. It's generally accepted that the energy density per unit mass increases about 8% per year. Therefore, it would take about 3.5 years to account for the increase in pack capacity. The Model X release would be an excellent excuse to justify the R&D costs on the higher-density cells.

Besides range, the other benefit to having a larger pack is the potential for increased output. Perhaps we will see a mid-2-second 0-60 on the P110D?