Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a good experience! Got a flat due to a screw on my front right tire (20") - ironically near the supercharger at the factory. Since I was able to fill up air and the tire wasn't losing pressure fast (about 3-5 psi in about 12 hours) I took it to Wheelworks for repair. There was no sidewall damage but apparently all of the 20" Model X tires are not repairable even if there is no sidewall damage. Apparently there is an acoustic pad inside the tire and if you get a nail on your tire this pad gets damaged or not possible to repair because of the acoustic pad.

To add insult to the injury of having to replace the tire for a simple nail, these tires aren't available freely and the spare tire program that is available on S is not available on X, I had to tow the car to the service center and pay $ 550 for a new tire.

The fun of being an early adopter!

Not a good experience! Got a flat due to a screw on my front right tire (20") - ironically near the supercharger at the factory. Since I was able to fill up air and the tire wasn't losing pressure fast (about 3-5 psi in about 12 hours) I took it to Wheelworks for repair. There was no sidewall damage but apparently all of the 20" Model X tires are not repairable even if there is no sidewall damage. Apparently there is an acoustic pad inside the tire and if you get a nail on your tire this pad gets damaged or not possible to repair because of the acoustic pad.

To add insult to the injury of having to replace the tire for a simple nail, these tires aren't available freely and the spare tire program that is available on S is not available on X, I had to tow the car to the service center and pay $ 550 for a new tire.

The fun of being an early adopter!

$550! I paid 450. You are correct in that they are special. I had Tesla tow my car to the service center which is free and they changed the wheel for me. If you screen some of the posts regarding tires, one guy took the foam pad out of the damaged tire and placed it in a new tire. I don't know if that voids the warranty or not. I now drive like a granny avoiding potholes so I don't have to deal with tire issues. I just have to deal with the wind noise and cheap AF sunshade.

• Funny
Reactions: Softwizard
The tire continental repair instructions are here. You could have gotten it fixed.

Pages 9 througth 14 are English.
http://www.continental.hu/www/downl...mes/extended-mobility/repair_instructions.pdf

wfAmHio.png

ByO6k1Q.png

Last edited:
That sucks. Figured that Wheel Works being so close to the factory would know what Tesla is doing and train their guys.

In my other EVs, Fiat 500e and BMW i3, I carry a plug kit. They both have tiny air compressors on board so in any case I were to get a nail or screw that looked plugable, I'd do it and fill the tire up with air and be on the road again.

You know, I would have thought that a puncture in the foam filled area wouldn't leak unless the object went completely through the foam (or at least not at any measurable rate.)

Since they put the foam in to absorb noise, I would assume it is a fairly dense closed cell foam...

My X came with the tire sealant and air compressor kit - hope to not have to use it. We have a "Slime" brand kit in one of our other cars without a spare - they are practically the same thing really if by chance you can find or get a hold of the Tesla branded one. They work on up to 1/4" punctures they say which would be handing if not in an urban area or need to seal something more severe like that - you would lose pressure much faster.

Thanks for the post.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
That sucks. Figured that Wheel Works being so close to the factory would know what Tesla is doing and train their guys.

In my other EVs, Fiat 500e and BMW i3, I carry a plug kit. They both have tiny air compressors on board so in any case I were to get a nail or screw that looked plugable, I'd do it and fill the tire up with air and be on the road again.
It seems like even Tesla didn't know what they were doing - they told me that this was not repairable!

My X came with the tire sealant and air compressor kit - hope to not have to use it. We have a "Slime" brand kit in one of our other cars without a spare - they are practically the same thing really if by chance you can find or get a hold of the Tesla branded one. They work on up to 1/4" punctures they say which would be handing if not in an urban area or need to seal something more severe like that - you would lose pressure much faster.

Thanks for the post.
I'm pretty sure you had to purchase the tire/sealant kit for $50 (I did anyway). FYI: once you use this sealant, the tire can't be repaired and must be replaced. This is a temporary emergency solution. If you can get the tire to someone willing to repair it, that's the better option.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Hey guys, I know flats dont happen often, but kind of scary knowing theres no spare on the X. I heard that Tesla provides towing to a service center?
Also anyone run runflats on their x?
They do provide a towing service - need to be within 50 miles of a service center. I don't believe the OEM tires are runflat but I think there was a separate thread discussing the merits of runflats

pretty sure you had to purchase the tire/sealant kit for $50
In some states, it is mandated that cars sold without spares must provide a repair kit with compressor (seems like a practical regulation). I picked up in VA, but live in MD, so they shipped the $50 kit to me after delivery. I think had I picked up in MD it would have already been put in the car.

Thanks to you guys, I am going to ask my tire repair shop about these tires to be prepared for the inevitable.

• Informative
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Hey guys, I know flats dont happen often, but kind of scary knowing theres no spare on the X. I heard that Tesla provides towing to a service center?
Also anyone run runflats on their x?
From what I have read on the forums, it seems like EVs from other manufacturers also do not carry a spare. It's one way to improve efficiency by reducing unnecessary weight. Here's what the roadside assistance policy says:
"In some markets, our trained tow providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for the damaged wheel. A new tire will be mounted on your original wheel, at your cost, and made available at your nearest service center. Please make arrangements with your service center for this service. Pricing and availability is subject to change per location. Loaner wheels must be returned to the service center within three days and will be exchanged for your original wheel."