Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fairlu crappy given in washington state, we were never even given the chance to buy the extended warranty at a lower price.

Ditto for Florida. Tesla is going to have to do some jumping through hoops for existing customers as on two separate occasions I was promised that they would figure out a retroactive solution for the 12k service I had to pay full price for. tesla have always kept their word to me so I'm not worried, but they still need to do a quick review for everyone on this.

I just sent this email to Ownership:

Hi,

I just noticed the sudden and unannounced price increase for the extended warranty option. We had been considering buying it at $2,500 -- but now at $4,000, I don't think we'll be purchasing it.

I'm disappointed that Tesla didn't let us know the price would be increasing so suddenly and dramatically. Had I known, we might have bought the warranty during a grace period before the increase.

Any chance you'd still offer it to existing owners at $2,500?

Best,

Andrew

For a low maintenance car, it just keeps get more and more expensive. I think the hardest part of this is it was done without any communication, again. I understand it is in their right but show some respect... I've email ownership with my opinions.

What's the typical extended warranty cost on an ICE? I thought it was usually quite a bit less than what Tesla is charging, which seems contrary to Tesla's claims of lower long term repairs for EVs.

I think $2,500 was in line with what I've paid in the past -- though that was for a 1998 GMC Jimmy and a 2008 Prius. (I think I may have talked them down to $2k on the Prius...)

For a low maintenance car, it just keeps get more and more expensive. I think the hardest part of this is it was done without any communication, again. I understand it is in their right but show some respect... I've email ownership with my opinions.

This latest news gives new meaning to Elon's recent statement that after the 6/20 battery swap announcement, Tesla would "go quiet" for a while.

What's the typical extended warranty cost on an ICE? I thought it was usually quite a bit less than what Tesla is charging, which seems contrary to Tesla's claims of lower long term repairs for EVs.

My BMW 3 series extended warranty (platinum for those keeping track) was $3400. It was for 3 more years and 30k more miles. So Teslas price is not out of the ordinary. Just feels bad because we saw it at $2400.

Just wondering, why are so many people interested in getting the extended warranty? TM keeps reiterating how the MS is such a low maintenance car, no fluids to change, brakes have much less wear, etc. Are people primarily worried about the battery pack?

I'm probably not going to keep my MS beyond 3 years, but I'm just wondering what you're really buying protection for when you get the warranty.

The one time I did keep a car > 3 years was my M3, and I did get the extended warranty, but only because it included scheduled maintenance and the 2nd inspection on BMWs generally costs more than the warranty/maintenance contract price, so it usually makes sense to get it.

Elon just tweeted back to someone that he was "going to take action, will be a 7 day grace period. Price needs to go up as it's negative margin currently", copied a screenshot of his recent tweets below:

image.jpg

Just wondering, why are so many people interested in getting the extended warranty? TM keeps reiterating how the MS is such a low maintenance car, no fluids to change, brakes have much less wear, etc. Are people primarily worried about the battery pack?

I'm probably not going to keep my MS beyond 3 years, but I'm just wondering what you're really buying protection for when you get the warranty.
Elon just tweeted "[...] Price needs to go up as it's negative margin currently"
If there's nothing that can to wrong then I wonder where does the negative margin come from? Doesn't seem like particularity good advertising to me...

If there's nothing that can to wrong then I wonder where does the negative margin come from? Doesn't seem like particularity good advertising to me...

I actually read the agreement, and here is where reading it helps... You can transfer it to a new owner for a $200 fee, so even if you don't intend to keep the Model S more than 4-5 years, for $200 plus the $2,500 now, the new owner is getting an extended warranty for years 4 through 8. I would think that a Model S with the extended warranty coverage is more valuable than one without it (higher resale value, in other words)

Just read ALL the posts about owners claiming warranty for everything... It's horrifying (from a business standpoint) to imagine how much they are bleeding just from the "reported" posts on TMC... And I'm talking about all those cosmetic, mundane stuff when there's nothing structurally wrong with the car!

Like I said earlier, it's clear from the get-go that they're losing money based on all the "reports"..

As an example: I paid for the car, and i deserve glass vanity mirrors. Brought car in to get service to change the plastic mirrors to glass ones. Oh the horror (to the accountant... especially looking at the amount expended for labour costs for what is a less than $5 part cost)