Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme battery loss on Model 3 (˜10% per day) since 2023.20.4.1. Contacted service and told this is normal (more info below)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sit tight and wait for a class action lawsuit. This is the best way. Remember the Apple throttle gate? They lower CPU performance for older phones to "preserve your battery power to give you a better experience". If enough folks experience the same thing, there will be a lawsuit to force the truth out of Tesla.

Reactions: Darmie
Around June 26-27, I updated to 2023.20.4.1 on my 2023 Model 3 RWD and this is when I started experiencing some battery issues.
I’ve had the exact same experience with my Model Y when I undated to 2023.20.4.1 on the 17th of June or so.

Tesla support has acknowledged there’s a problem and booked a mobile service for me next week. Said tech will do a “hard reset”.

At the same time the parking assist feature has failed numerous times, same with cruise. Sentry turns off occasionally with a message sent to the app about “system error” (sentry off at home if course). The lights stay on during the day too.

I think all related to the car not sleeping. I think that as support has pushed the same update to my car twice now. And everything besides battery stand by use works again for a day or two after a reinstall (which must reboot or reset the computer I’m guessing).

I’ve been really hoping a new firmware release will fix it. One weird thing is my car didn’t even look for updates. It was saying last checked for an update like 3 days ago. I think the car should allow you to check every 24 hours in the software menu.

What I found was it just wouldn’t check, probably related to the car not sleeping again. But if I did a reset by holding the two steering wheel buttons down I could check again each 24 hours. Might be worth a try @TheWeb1000 or you’ll be stuck on 2023.20.4.1 for longer.

I really hope I get the new version soon. The battery drain is really dragging down the enjoyment of a brand new car.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I’ve had the exact same experience with my Model Y when I undated to 2023.20.4.1 on the 17th of June or so.

Tesla support has acknowledged there’s a problem and booked a mobile service for me next week. Said tech will do a “hard reset”.

At the same time the parking assist feature has failed numerous times, same with cruise. Sentry turns off occasionally with a message sent to the app about “system error” (sentry off at home if course). The lights stay on during the day too.

I think all related to the car not sleeping. I think that as support has pushed the same update to my car twice now. And everything besides battery stand by use works again for a day or two after a reinstall (which must reboot or reset the computer I’m guessing).

I’ve been really hoping a new firmware release will fix it. One weird thing is my car didn’t even look for updates. It was saying last checked for an update like 3 days ago. I think the car should allow you to check every 24 hours in the software menu.

What I found was it just wouldn’t check, probably related to the car not sleeping again. But if I did a reset by holding the two steering wheel buttons down I could check again each 24 hours. Might be worth a try @TheWeb1000 or you’ll be stuck on 2023.20.4.1 for longer.

I really hope I get the new version soon. The battery drain is really dragging down the enjoyment of a brand new car.
Getting an update is not like Windows check for updates and if there is one it downloads. The OTA update selection logic is a mystery and when you get an
update and which one it is, is random and you can't force an update

The one problem is that Tesla service refuses to acknowledge the issue of the battery drain, as well as the autosteer/autopilot not working. I have an appointment early next week but don’t have much hope of them ‘seeing an issue’. Will keep this post updated

I received an update today so I upgraded to 2023.20.7 and it seems to have completely fixed the issues. The visualizations/autosteer/autopilot are working again and the car is actually sleeping/not draining the battery when parked. Hope everyone having issues with 2023.20.4.1 get this new update soon.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
In my experience, the service centers are oblivious to many of the changes in software updates. When it says "miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements", the service centers are just as much in the dark as we are. If Tesla shared that information with service techs, it would get leaked to the public.

So... if they update some part of the codebase that inadvertently causes some vehicles to not sleep, the service centers haven't a clue. They can either take your car in and spend a lot of time looking for a problem that they're likely powerless to solve, or they can play defense and tell you there's no problem. It seems very much up to the individuals at the service center and how overwhelmed they are to determine how much effort to put in.

Ultimately, I believe you just have to suck it up and wait for an update to fix this.

When I first got my car, I set it to "Advanced" for software updates. That label is misleading (obviously in hindsight)... it should be labelled "Yes, sign me up to test early software releases". With the "move fast and break things" mentality that software development companies often have, this is to be expected... except now it's to our cars with real-world consequences.

My GPS location in the navigation is offset, which causes erroneous spoken directions. I've been to the service center (1.5 hours each way plus hours of waiting time) twice now and they haven't resolved it... but it was caused by the software update that enabled cabin cameras. One would think the service centers would be well aware of the issue, but that didn't seem to be the case. I pointed them to TMC and mentioned the known problem of cabin cameras + EMI, but they replaced the GPS antenna instead. On my second visit, they claim to have replaced the camera, but it still persists.

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
I received an update today so I upgraded to 2023.20.7 and it seems to have completely fixed the issues. The visualizations/autosteer/autopilot are working again and the car is actually sleeping/not draining the battery when parked. Hope everyone having issues with 2023.20.4.1 get this new update soon.
Interesting, do you happen to have FSD? Going to check my car to see if I got the update

I have seen a few different threads on this same basic topic (of something inducing additional vehicle standby), enough to think that this is not a user issue but something in the latest firmware(s) that is doing this.

My wifes model Y (model Year 2022, software version 2023.20.7), started doing this yesterday (07/08/2023) when we got back home from running saturday errands. While we were out, one of the stops we made was my wife just running into a store to get something so I stayed in the car and turned on "keep climate on" mode even though I was sitting in the drivers seat. she came back out, and we drove home (was the last stop).

I parked it in the garage like normal, about 2pm our time or so, came in the house, and went about my business. About 8pm at night or so, I went back out to the garage for something, and the fan on her car was still humming.

Thinking I left keep climate mode on, I got in the car, used the POWER OFF command, and came back in the house. At least a couple hours later (probably more like 3-4 hours later, it was close to midnight) I picked up my phone to open the Tesla app to check to see if the car was sleep.

I dont use any third party widgets, no watch apps, no nothing. I dont use cabin overheat protection, her car does not have FSD (only AP). The way I determine if the car is asleep is simply by how long it takes the car to become "active" in the app. My tesla app default screen is my powerwalls, so that I dont wake up the 2 Teslas we have on accident. I opened the app, swiped to my wifes car, and saw it instantly say "PARKED" instead of the app saying "last seen X hours ago" and swirling a bit. This tells me it was awake.

I went out to the garage again (at midnight), executed a power off command again, closed the door, then went to bed. This morning, closer to 9am (so 9 hours later) I opened the Tesla app, swiped to her car, and it instantly said "Parked", which tells me it was awake.

I went out again, rebooted it this time (two thumbwheel press) then removed the charging cable from it, to see if it would sleep if it didnt have access to L2 power.

In car tesla energy graph says I used 10 miles of range interacting with the Tesla app yesterday, and 8 miles of vehicle standby, and I certainly didnt interact with the Tesla app that much yesterday. I was only sitting in the car with keep climate on for about 15 minutes, so I doubt that was 8 miles of range, either.

TL ; DR = I also think this is a firmware issue, have seen multiple different threads here reporting it, and seem to have been impacted by this myself for the first time yesterday.

That’s was short lived. My car is back to draining about 8% a day and not sleeping.

I’m on 2023.20.7.

I’m guessing the install of the new version “fixed” it for a short time as everything gets rebooted on install.

@ultrams is your car still sleeping correctly without any battery drain?

That’s was short lived. My car is back to draining about 8% a day and not sleeping.

I’m on 2023.20.7.

I’m guessing the install of the new version “fixed” it for a short time as everything gets rebooted on install.

I was also able to install 2023.20.7 last night and lost 4% in 8hours update did not fix it :/

I’m on 2023.20.7.

Same here unfortunately. I didn't use the car the last two days and just noticed I lost 19.8% during that time frame.

Hopefully they fix this soon.