Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extreme Cold driving/battery, etc...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turns out I have to go to upper Wisconsin from Chicago this weekend. We will be driving in temps that are supposed to be close to -20F. I have already realized the issue with distance on a single charge when it is in the 20's. I just don't want to find ourselves in trouble between charges at such extreme temps.

Does anyone have experience on how Tesla's work from an efficiency perspective in such extremely cold temps? Any issues with Supercharging at those temps?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Drive a 2021 AWD Model Y. Does have the heat pump.

Signed...

really looking forward to summer!

Use ABetterRoutePlanner.com to plan your route. You can enter the -20F temp and it will adjust the charge times and/or show where you need to limit your speed.

Let us know how the heat pump works in -20F. My house heat pump does not work very well below +20F.

Turns out I have to go to upper Wisconsin from Chicago this weekend. We will be driving in temps that are supposed to be close to -20F. I have already realized the issue with distance on a single charge when it is in the 20's. I just don't want to find ourselves in trouble between charges at such extreme temps.

Does anyone have experience on how Tesla's work from an efficiency perspective in such extremely cold temps? Any issues with Supercharging at those temps?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Drive a 2021 AWD Model Y. Does have the heat pump.

Signed...

really looking forward to summer!

Plan on your range being reduced by 40-50%. Leave a good buffer (I usually go with 25-30% in those conditions) in case you hit unexpected head wind, snow or detours.

Make it easy on yourself and don’t try to skip Superchargers along the way, as skipping will just add time and anxiety.

Do some trip planning with A Better Routeplanner and set the weather settings to what you expect to encounter on the trip. Check weather on www.windy.com

Enjoy the trip! Winter travel isn’t that big of a deal if you know what to expect and you plan accordingly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just checked the weather and it looks like winds from the west all weekend, so you’ll have a tail wind if you’re going east and a cross wind if you’re heading south. No real snow to speak of and the low looks to be around -10°F. It should be a pretty easy trip.

Although not real cold, I did see a YouTube range test that was done in colder weather, the driver was able to go 200 miles, that was from 100% to 0% driving at 70 mph other than getting to the highway, turning around, and getting to the Supercharger.

Well, the 40-50% was pretty accurate. The temp was about 5 degrees during the day. Very harsh road conditions. Roads were icy as heck too. What I did notice was that the wind could shift the car more than expected.

It is supposed to get colder now for the next couple of days we drive back tomorrow. Wonder how much worse it will get. Wife was not happy with the range loss though. But it is what it is. Maybe someday they will figure this one out.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
It is supposed to get colder now for the next couple of days we drive back tomorrow. Wonder how much worse it will get. Wife was not happy with the range loss though. But it is what it is. Maybe someday they will figure this one out.

What will they figure out, a way to break the law of thermodynamics?

The only solution is to increase battery size. If you *need* 300 miles in the winter, you likely need a 600 mile range car.

That said, 150 miles is generally more than enough to get between superchargers. I suspect if you full preheat the car before you leave, you should be able to get closer to 200 even in very cold weather.

This is well documented, it shouldn't be a surprise.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Well, the 40-50% was pretty accurate. The temp was about 5 degrees during the day. Very harsh road conditions. Roads were icy as heck too. What I did notice was that the wind could shift the car more than expected.

Just curious - where is home? I’d like to plot your approximate route on A Better Route Planner and see if it matches your real world experience.

Also, you might find changing the display from showing distance (EPA rated miles remaining) to showing energy (percent remaining) to be less anxiety inducing. car menu > display > distance/energy

Last edited:
We do those kinda temps. Counting on 40 percent loss is a safe number but it’s probably closer to 35 for us. However, in winter we tend to avoid anything over 100 kmh as black ice or drifts can pop up real fast. That 10 kmh is probably the reason we see less of a loss. This is in a 2020 non heat pump/octovalve car.

Monday we are headed out in minus 22 C to a neighbouring city to get specialty dog food. Chihuahuas. Wadayagunado.