Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Face Recognition would be cool

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not forgotten to take my face with me since a day in 1978 upstate NY. but that's another story
Multiple drivers, settings. Could gage driver attention and abnormal situations; medical etc. IOS does this effortlessly.

iOS uses a sensor array to identify a specified 3D face from 8-12 inches away. Which is impressive, but that's ALL it does. It doesnt gauge attention, or medical conditions, and it doesnt work from several feet away. Yes, it would be nice to have the car notice who was sitting in the drivers seat, but since this is typically the person who unlocked and opened the drivers side door (which the car already does), it doesnt seem a "must have" feature to me.

Reactions: theBurtReynold
iOS uses a sensor array to identify a specified 3D face from 8-12 inches away. Which is impressive, but that's ALL it does. It doesnt gauge attention, or medical conditions, and it doesnt work from several feet away. Yes, it would be nice to have the car notice who was sitting in the drivers seat, but since this is typically the person who unlocked and opened the drivers side door (which the car already does), it doesnt seem a "must have" feature to me.
Yes IOS is for phone access and not suitable as is. The thing is anyone could unlock the door (if he has a fob) There is no way to restrict access. If you dont want you kid to take the car or if he does,automatically limit the speed etc. Harder to steal etc. Not a must have by any means but I think it will arrive sooner or later. I think they could use it as a more intuitive nag on autopilot. etc

I have not forgotten to take my face with me since a day in 1978 upstate NY. but that's another story
Multiple drivers, settings. Could gage driver attention and abnormal situations; medical etc. IOS does this effortlessly.
Please wear polarized dark sunglasses and try "iOS does this effortlessly". Hint: You are mistaken. Read the last sentence in the screenshot below.

I wish people would stop bringing this horrible idea up that does not work.

IMG_4825.PNG

My wife’s 2019 Subaru Forester has facial recognition and monitoring and it’s not that great. Works 50% of the time when loading drive profile. Personally I prefer the Tesla model 3 method where you link a Lock to a profile.
More info here Driver Monitoring System
From your link:
The Driver Monitoring System functionality may be reduced or impeded if the drivers face and eyes are not clearly visible, such as if the driver is wearing a face covering, spectacles or dark or polarised sunglasses.
What a horrible product.