Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory Installed Car Play?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, not a chance. You could ask Elon why, but I doubt he'll answer since he's busy running Twitter into the ground instead of managing Tesla.

However, as a palliative measure, since we already have Sirius XM for our other vehicle we just stream that on our phone and use Bluetooth to send that audio to the car. Sounds pretty good, works fine. We use the car's built in nav most of the time, and oh, we also have Apple Music, and since Tesla includes an Apple Music app, we use that as well. Of course, using those car-based features means we have to subscribe to the Tesla data plan. Pretty small expense vs. the cost of the car, and which is generally made up by such low overall maintenance costs, so we just suck it up and pay for that.

• Disagree
Reactions: fsb1
Nope, not a chance. You could ask Elon why, but I doubt he'll answer since he's busy running Twitter into the ground instead of managing Tesla.

However, as a palliative measure, since we already have Sirius XM for our other vehicle we just stream that on our phone and use Bluetooth to send that audio to the car. Sounds pretty good, works fine. We use the car's built in nav most of the time, and oh, we also have Apple Music, and since Tesla includes an Apple Music app, we use that as well. Of course, using those car-based features means we have to subscribe to the Tesla data plan. Pretty small expense vs. the cost of the car, and which is generally made up by such low overall maintenance costs, so we just suck it up and pay for that.
Yeah twitter was amazing before and super profitable. Im also glad you know what Elon does every second of every day. How much do you get paid to be his personal assistant?

OP: No tesla vehicles comes with carplay or android auto.

My guess is allowing car play would cut into the premium connectivity subscription. I miss CarPlay so much. Way more elegant and easy to parse directions, texts, info while driving.

I'd gladly pay a extra if need be to have that incorporated.

Or just get the software developers to make a more user friendly ui in terms of parsing data while driving. It's a good looking ui but not really user friendly.

Would be nice to get CarPlay someday, like every other car on the road, but we try to make the best of it. As I've read about third party CarPlay solutions people try to use to get that functionality going in their Tesla, I am overwhelmed with the feeling that I should just back away, and that if CarPlay's critical to me, I simply bought the wrong car - at least for now. Maybe if the CEO changed this would change as well, and maybe we'd even get USS and proper rain sensors back, but neither is likely to happen until that does.

Would be nice to get CarPlay someday, like every other car on the road, but we try to make the best of it. As I've read about third party CarPlay solutions people try to use to get that functionality going in their Tesla, I am overwhelmed with the feeling that I should just back away, and that if CarPlay's critical to me, I simply bought the wrong car - at least for now. Maybe if the CEO changed this would change as well, and maybe we'd even get USS and proper rain sensors back, but neither is likely to happen until that does.
Seems like more cars are going away from carplay e.g. rivian

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris
I wasn't aware that Rivian had made the same call, thanks. Last time I reached out to Rivian to ask about placing an order and how long the wait was, they just laughed at me. I'd love to get my hands on one for a test drive and check it out, but that doesn't seem to be a thing?

Indeed. Why pay for someone else's IP when you can just steal it? Anyhow, this is another policy I hope will change when / if Tesla finally boots him as CEO.
it's a solid no-go decision. Elon and Tim have had their discussions about it and they agreed to disagree.
Tesla may or may not offer a similar UI but theft isn't happening and you're going a bit deep making that comment.
Elon handing over the reins at Tesla any time soon is also a fantasy. But feel free (or hate).
Apple Car Play will not be happening in Tesla vehicles.
It's not needed.
Adapt !!!

I wasn't aware that Rivian had made the same call, thanks. Last time I reached out to Rivian to ask about placing an order and how long the wait was, they just laughed at me. I'd love to get my hands on one for a test drive and check it out, but that doesn't seem to be a thing?
I test drive one in Denver... It was pretty nice but hard for me to justify the cost

Reactions: Dracaris
Loosen up, it was a joke. Meanwhile, yeah, I'm dealing with no CarPlay. I'd like it, but if it was critical I would have skipped Tesla and bought something else.
Isn’t the real advantage of the Tesla MMI the integration of navigation and supercharger network. On road trips it is very useful and you dont have to use third party app on phone such as plugshare or findabetterroute to figure out where to charge.

Reactions: laservet
Isn’t the real advantage of the Tesla MMI the integration of navigation and supercharger network. On road trips it is very useful and you dont have to use third party app on phone such as plugshare or findabetterroute to figure out where to charge.
You have a point there, because we tried to use ABRP, and it was simply awful compared to Tesla's built-in nav and super-charger finder / planner.

Reactions: kc1953