Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, I don't think anyone was surprised by assertions that manufacturing activities for the Model X had begun. That was in line with expectations and not really news. The 'high gear next week' comment is not plausible. That implies full production and new manufacturing lines just don't ramp like that. For any product.

To be clear, I don't think anyone was surprised by assertions that manufacturing activities for the Model X had begun. That was in line with expectations and not really news. The 'high gear next week' comment is not plausible. That implies full production and new manufacturing lines just don't ramp like that. For any product.

What "high gear" implies is a matter of opinion. You might view it differently than OP meant.

That said, I wouldn't put it past OP or OPs source using hyperbole to describe the situation. Broken telephone and all.

All this assuming OP isn't a troll of course. Plenty of other OT trolls on this thread, though, so he'd be in good company. ;)

I'm not getting stuck on a subjective interpretation of a single word or two. I agree max capacity at week 1 is unlikely. I do think proper production start (opposes to release candidate pace) is plausible.

Just curious who's cars you think they're producing? I'm a fairly early Sig and I haven't been asked to configure. The phrase "proper production start" is as much wishful thinking as production moving to "high gear" next week IMO. We all know that Founders cars come first, that's a very small number, and those cars will be hand-built and finetoothcomb inspected; production proper will start when a reasonable number of people actually configure their cars.

Photos or it didn't happen.

No photos allowed on tours. And I'm pretty sure that would definitely violate the NDA. :wink:

Personally, I think its ludicrous to be discussing a subjective term like "High Gear", and you would need to be insane to even attempt it. But hey, its a free world.
:smile:
I was just trying to bring some levity to the discussion and try to convey the absurdity of it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious who's cars you think they're producing? I'm a fairly early Sig and I haven't been asked to configure. The phrase "proper production start" is as much wishful thinking as production moving to "high gear" next week IMO. We all know that Founders cars come first, that's a very small number, and those cars will be hand-built and finetoothcomb inspected; production proper will start when a reasonable number of people actually configure their cars.

Forgive me for asking this question if it has already been covered in another thread, but does anyone have any idea of the number of Founder cars to be built for the Model-X? Does anyone know the number of Founder cars for the Model-S as a comparison?

Forgive me for asking this question if it has already been covered in another thread, but does anyone have any idea of the number of Founder cars to be built for the Model-X? Does anyone know the number of Founder cars for the Model-S as a comparison?
Last I heard there are 6 board members... and then add CTO, Designer, and a few others.
I speculate 12 - 14 Founder cars will be built maybe 1 more to make it up to 15 for the prize that was mentioned in the referral program.

Last I heard there are 6 board members... and then add CTO, Designer, and a few others.
I speculate 12 - 14 Founder cars will be built maybe 1 more to make it up to 15 for the prize that was mentioned in the referral program.
I still believe the first vehicles off the line will be showroom models. They don't have to run flawlessly, they sit and look pretty. As long as the fit and finish works, and the interiors look good who cares. Founders cars might be produced in Sept.

Nobody (here) knows exactly how many Model X Founders cars there will be; off the top of my head I recall something like 25 Founders for Model S, but I'm not certain without looking it up.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if Steve Jurvetson will get serial number 1 again ;)

I suspect that's pretty much a certainty.

Are the Founder models necessarily the first customer cars off the line? I'm excluding non-customer cars from that question, since it is common industry practice to have early production cars made that are not sold to the public, but rather used to hone the production line.

Elon says he decides who gets the first car by who writes him a check and hands it to him in person, but that car might not necessarily be a Founder's version right?
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-elon-musk-decides-who-gets-to-be-first-to-buy-a-new-tesla-2015-5

If they ordered one (ie, wrote a check), they'll get one. Also major investors or those with special ties to Elon are likely to be offered Founders cars. Elon is the final decision-maker on who can purchase a Founder series.

That's true. I'm expecting them to build Founders and a number of press cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we now know the primary account of throwawayaccount. :wink:

Disappointed in you, vandacca.

Tesla didn't build press cars for the S, I'm pretty sure (except maybe much later, well after the Signatures had been delivered)-- why would they do so for the X?

As for Founder cars, as I read the referral offer, everyone who sells 10 Model S's gets the right to buy a Founders X (only one, or maybe three, winners get the car free). So, they could be building Founders cars into October, or even November, depending on the outcome of that promotion.

That's true. I'm expecting them to build Founders and a number of press cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Disappointed in you, vandacca.

it is possible that there are only about 5 genuine members of this forum with about 1000 sock puppet accounts. The problem is that with so many alternative accounts they forget which is there's and which isn't, so they end up having real arguments with themselves. Sometimes 100 page threads could be just 1 person accidentally arguing with themselves. :biggrin:

We are bonnie. You will be assimilated. Residence is futile.

we now know ... :wink:

Those who know, do not speak. For example mods do know, they could check an IP etc. But they won't tell you :tongue:

Those who speak, do not know. For example, you! You implied this by actually saying "I think we now know"

As for what actually the truth, well, let me quote Ismail Haniyeh,

"Some people think that the truth can be hidden with a little cover-up and decoration. But as time goes by, what is true is revealed, and what is fake fades away.

;)

- - - Updated - - -

Totally nailed it.

Yeah, I know.