Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dual Fakra Car Antenna Adapter by Keple, Double Fakra Vehicle Aerial Connector for 3rd Generation Radios in RCD, RNS310, RNS, MFD Radio, Twin Fakra Adaptor https://a.co/d/iLwuOH4

This adapter?
I had purchased the one similar to that and modified it to be like this one. The one you linked would work I believe, but might run into the same issues with the connector on the blue side, I had purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJCFKK6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and it didn't work because the blue end is to deep for the factory radio connector. If you have the ability to crimp your own like I do though you can just modify the ends. The color in fakra matters and I believe white should go with a white receptacle and blue with blue etc, similar to how the sirius one is curry as the color. If you are good with soldering/ crimping, you could just modify the factory harness too, but I wanted to be able to revert my connection should tesla ever try to pull the plug on the x tuner being supported. Finding the right harness seems to be tricky though and amazon mostly has ones for European cars such as bmw. Tesla seems to have used an uncommon fakra connector that's mostly used for lte antennas and gps. Most the cars I have done stereo mods on use the pink or blue fakra for fm.

I had purchased the one similar to that and modified it to be like this one. The one you linked would work I believe, but might run into the same issues with the connector on the blue side, I had purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJCFKK6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and it didn't work because the blue end is to deep for the factory radio connector. If you have the ability to crimp your own like I do though you can just modify the ends. The color in fakra matters and I believe white should go with a white receptacle and blue with blue etc, similar to how the sirius one is curry as the color. If you are good with soldering/ crimping, you could just modify the factory harness too, but I wanted to be able to revert my connection should tesla ever try to pull the plug on the x tuner being supported. Finding the right harness seems to be tricky though and amazon mostly has ones for European cars such as bmw. Tesla seems to have used an uncommon fakra connector that's mostly used for lte antennas and gps. Most the cars I have done stereo mods on use the pink or blue fakra for fm.
I bought a Bingfu brand blue farka and it fit the Tesla connector fine. I wonder if it is brand dependent.

Probably, I heard the Bingfu works for the fm inline modulators, so I would give that a try and if the fm doesn't work well then get creative :D

it absolutely does, i've been using it for almost four years. :)

I plan to get the other factory window antenna going instead of my make shift second one,
would getting a second amplifier to install next to the tuner itself work for this? i thought that's what you were suggesting earlier but i didn't see if you had confirmed that.

the amplifier has a connector for the ribbon cable and fakra, so theoretically one could plug the ribbon into that and run the fakra to the double-fakra adapter and into the modified tuner...would that work?

I've looked through the circuit diagrams and connectors to no avail; I cannot find the ribbon connector type. Is it completely proprietary? Are there fakra adapters for it?

if there's a fakra adapter for it, i haven't seen it. that's why i was intrigued by the idea of using a second amplifier on the passenger side to make the connection, since it has connections available for both the ribbon and the fakra. not sure how you'd mount it, but i guess it should work for actually getting the amplified signal into the tuner.

Here is a video I made of the fm and sirius working on my 2019 sr plus made around may 2019. Your millage may very and I have no clue if my cars mcu isn't somehow special, so proceed with caution. It is all fully working though and for those worried about fm reception, keep in mind I am 30 miles from the transmitter when I tune that fm station in the video, so those in a city will get better performance. Sorry about the crappy editing youtube made me take part of it out since the song was copyrighted and over 30 seconds.

if there's a fakra adapter for it, i haven't seen it. that's why i was intrigued by the idea of using a second amplifier on the passenger side to make the connection, since it has connections available for both the ribbon and the fakra. not sure how you'd mount it, but i guess it should work for actually getting the amplified signal into the tuner.
Theirs no fakra to proprietary connector tesla used for the rear glass connector adapter avail, but I I am betting that both coax lines are powered so two amps should work. I am ordering a second one and will report back, my plan is to mount the second antenna amp with 3m or thread one of the tuner bolts through the tuner and the amp. On the tuner theirs an elmos power chip for power antennas, and it looks to be hooked up to both coax fakra ports on the model x tuner.

Here is a video I made of the fm and sirius working on my 2019 sr plus made around may 2019. Your millage may very and I have no clue if my cars mcu isn't somehow special, so proceed with caution. It is all fully working though and for those worried about fm reception, keep in mind I am 30 miles from the transmitter when I tune that fm station in the video, so those in a city will get better performance. Sorry about the crappy editing youtube made me take part of it out since the song was copyrighted and over 30 seconds.

it's at least worth a shot IMO based on this. especially if using two amps works to get the amplified FM back...that would effectively be a full stock solution just with an added XM antenna.

this one should work for connecting a regular XM antenna to the model X tuner (fakra Z is universal):

i *think* this one would work for the FM connection:

the female end is fakra B, which should match the FM connection on the tuner. as long as the male ends are both fakra Z (universal), they would accept the coax from the windshield as well as a short patch cable (fakra female to female) from the second antenna amp that would be installed on the passenger side next to the tuner, that would allow for hooking up the ribbon cable on that side.

here's a 1ft fakra extension cable that could run from the antenna amp to the other adapter (it's the shortest one i've been able to find so far on amazon, might want a slightly longer one, 3ft is available, but i think 1ft should be plenty):

at this point, it seems the hardest part may be finding the actual tuner. i don't see any on ebay that aren't sold "as is," which i definitely am hesitant to do in case they're completely DOA.

has anyone actually tried to buy the tuner directly from tesla? is there a way we can set up some kind of proxy sale here where actual X owners on the forum might be willing to order the tuner for us?

Hey, one thing that hasn't been discussed is the addition of AM radio in a Model 3, since the Model X/S do have it. I can't find any videos on how people access it, since my search results are flooded by complaints/solutions to the Model 3/Y not tuning into AM. Is it available in your media options? My bet is you need the filter module for AM because of the EM interference, but maybe it's already loaded?

EDIT: And on the tuners, I put in a request on car-part.com for a tuner module. I was able to get really lucky with a deal on Facebook marketplace so if I hear anything back from the salvage yards, I'll be sure to forward it to you crackers. The tuner is not restricted at parts sales by Tesla, and it isn't limited by VIN, so it would be great to know how much they are new as a point of reference. The hassle-free way to buy parts is to just come in with a slip of paper with the part number, put your VIN on that for extra measure, and the name for the VIN. When I did this, I was confused for a mechanic so you might be able to get less pushback that way :)

Last edited:
Reactions: crackers8199
Hey, one thing that hasn't been discussed is the addition of AM radio in a Model 3, since the Model X/S do have it. I can't find any videos on how people access it, since my search results are flooded by complaints/solutions to the Model 3/Y not tuning into AM. Is it available in your media options? My bet is you need the filter module for AM because of the EM interference, but maybe it's already loaded?
The X&S haven't had AM radio since the MCU2 came out. Which is March of 2020 if I recall correctly.

Is the Model X tuner people are using from before that? (I wouldn't think so because the MCU1 compatible tuners were analog, MCU2 switched to digital.) In any case, I doubt the software in the Model 3/Y even supports AM at all.

Reactions: ph0ton
Do you mind snapping a pic of your set up?

The X&S haven't had AM radio since the MCU2 came out. Which is March of 2020 if I recall correctly.

Is the Model X tuner people are using from before that? (I wouldn't think so because the MCU1 compatible tuners were analog, MCU2 switched to digital.) In any case, I doubt the software in the Model 3/Y even supports AM at all.
Got it. Even though the circuit diagram is labeled as AM it's been deprecated I guess, for whatever reason.

The hassle-free way to buy parts is to just come in with a slip of paper with the part number, put your VIN on that for extra measure, and the name for the VIN. When I did this, I was confused for a mechanic so you might be able to get less pushback that way

that's the thing though... apparently they push back if you try to buy a part that doesn't go with your car. if that's the case, giving them my vin and trying to buy the x tuner won't work.

this one should work for connecting a regular XM antenna to the model X tuner (fakra Z is universal):

i *think* this one would work for the FM connection:

the female end is fakra B, which should match the FM connection on the tuner. as long as the male ends are both fakra Z (universal), they would accept the coax from the windshield as well as a short patch cable (fakra female to female) from the second antenna amp that would be installed on the passenger side next to the tuner, that would allow for hooking up the ribbon cable on that side.

here's a 1ft fakra extension cable that could run from the antenna amp to the other adapter (it's the shortest one i've been able to find so far on amazon, might want a slightly longer one, 3ft is available, but i think 1ft should be plenty):

If the "double amplifier" doesn't work can we just run a fakra extension (I see a 6.5ft one on Amazon) from the original amplifier to the new tuner?

If the "double amplifier" doesn't work can we just run a fakra extension (I see a 6.5ft one on Amazon) from the original amplifier to the new tuner?

isn't that what the fakra connector that's already on the passenger side is?

it also wouldn't give you a way to connect the ribbon cable, since the x tuner doesn't have a spot for it. the amp has a spot for the ribbon and the fakra, so it was me spitballing a way to get everything connected and hopefully get the FM reception back to where it is stock.

isn't that what the fakra connector that's already on the passenger side is?

it also wouldn't give you a way to connect the ribbon cable, since the x tuner doesn't have a spot for it. the amp has a spot for the ribbon and the fakra, so it was me spitballing a way to get everything connected and hopefully get the FM reception back to where it is stock.
Yes I guess you are correct

Do you mind snapping a pic of your set up?
Yeah I can try to do that when my second antenna amp comes in. The gist of it though is having a the sirius antenna on a sheet of metal under the rear shelf felt but not the plastic that appears to be thermally shielded, this is well hidden and not noticed as their is plenty of extra space to hide the patch antenna. Then having the right fm dual fakra to dual single splitter go to each antenna amp on the passenger and driver side. Each antenna amp connects to the windshield ribbon connector, as opposed to the one ribbon going into the old tuner and one fakra going to the antenna amp then ribbon on the driver side. Then reload software with service mode, or wait for sxm to pop up on its own. I got my second antenna hooked up with jumper wires though for now, and just made the two wires coming off of it go to coax with a crimped fakra end. When I say jumper wires I mean I used pins and wires for a bread board I had on hand. Note service mode now can be triggered from anywhere not just service centers. When done the car looks 100% stock and you can't see anything is different as the xm antenna is hidden under the back felt. To route cables go behind the side bolster that comes off on the passenger side and up behind the side trim of the window and behind the airbag. No other mods are needed, if you don't get audio or hear blips of audio likely the antenna is the issue, also make sure your not in a garage when activating the radio or it takes a couple signal refreshes if its weak.

Reactions: PhilCaps