Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanna add here, I didn't see warnings about the eightwood sirius xm antenna being weak, so I bought it anyways. Even when placed on my trunk, in clear view of the sky, the signal cuts in and out for higher bitrate music channels. I bought a branded antenna to test and will report back if it performs better.

it definitely should unless the actual tuner is the issue. I've been using the included SXM branded antenna for four years with my onyx and had no issues, aside from areas where you'd expect it to drop, like sitting under an overpass at a traffic light where there's no ground repeater available.

Last edited:
Reactions: ph0ton
Just wanna add here, I didn't see warnings about the eightwood sirius xm antenna being weak, so I bought it anyways. Even when placed on my trunk, in clear view of the sky, the signal cuts in and out for higher bitrate music channels. I bought a branded antenna to test and will report back if it performs better.
Same issue here, the sirius xm branded one worked way better for me with an mcx to fakra adapter. The eightwood one seems very directional and picky on signal.

Quick update: I tried the Sirius-branded antenna and I gotta say, it's actually worse. It might just be that the pre-amp for the antenna is tuned for a shorter wire, and since the branded antenna is much longer, it decreases the quality of the signal. It's possible my tuner is the issue or I mangled the connector to the tuner, but I'm going to try to source a cheap OEM antenna to see if it makes a huge difference. I don't mind being a guinea-pig for you all. :)

My standards might be higher than others though; I had Sirius XM on my Chevy Volt and in my recollection, I only had drops when I was in the concrete canyons of big cities.

We’ve had the SiriusXM drop out in our RAV4 only with overpasses, tunnels, and when driving through a canyon. I’d want that same level of signal in the Tesla if I were to do this.

same, and that's the same level I have with my onyx in my model 3. if the factory tuner is going to end up cutting out all the time, it's not worth it for me.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
I tried placing the Sirius-branded antenna on the outside of my car, just in case, and it worked flawlessly. I decided to place it where others have had some success, on the car seat latch cover, and lo' and behold: it worked fine. I noticed a few pops while driving, but it now it never drops. Guess you guys already had the special sauce on where to place the antenna!

I tried placing the Sirius-branded antenna on the outside of my car, just in case, and it worked flawlessly. I decided to place it where others have had some success, on the car seat latch cover, and lo' and behold: it worked fine. I noticed a few pops while driving, but it now it never drops. Guess you guys already had the special sauce on where to place the antenna!
I have mine on the spreaker grill and it's been working great. It's way too hot to work in the car today but I did do the swap on m3 and mS tuner.

Fyi. You don't have to pry/bend the top cover off. Just unscrew the torx screws and pop the top working your way from the antenna side sound booth sides to the tabs on opposite side where the coaxial plug is and just lift up.

Very little modifications need to be made to get the mS board to fit as you can see.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_014415461.jpg
    PXL_20220723_014415461.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20220723_201033743.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220723_201033743.MP.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 99
  • PXL_20220723_195819148.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220723_195819148.MP.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 115
Has anybody bought the tuner direct from Tesla? Any idea on possibility / cost?

i mentioned this at some point in this thread but i don't think it ever got any traction...mainly because i've read tesla won't sell you anything directly that isn't supposed to go with your car as configured from the factory. in other words, unless you have a model X to go along with your 3 or Y, they won't sell you the tuner.

would be interesting to see if we could get some model X owners here to buy the tuners for us.

I have mine on the spreaker grill and it's been working great. It's way too hot to work in the car today but I did do the swap on m3 and mS tuner.

Fyi. You don't have to pry/bend the top cover off. Just unscrew the torx screws and pop the top working your way from the antenna side sound booth sides to the tabs on opposite side where the coaxial plug is and just lift up.

Very little modifications need to be made to get the mS board to fit as you can see.

did you buy the S tuner instead of the X tuner? what is the part number?

Yep - hence me being a gorilla for not realizing that. :p
Could someone please show the screen and what is displayed when listening to a Sirius/XM channel?
IMG_20220723_1959367.jpgIMG_20220723_1959472.jpgIMG_20220723_2000031.jpg

Reactions: ArtK