Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I can get a C variant for a reasonable price I might try it out.

On a side note, the XM software changed on my MY today after an update overnight ("up next" section on bottom of screen, see pic) so it's good to know that these will receive updates.

Attachments

• PXL_20220725_223853671.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220725_223853671.MP.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: crackers8199
@stutech Thanks for your help. Have you tried the SXM original antenna with this adapter:

I was going to go with that setup
This is an message from quite awhile ago, but I wanted to let you know that I've ordered this adapter and will try it on my 1143716-00-c (Model X) tuner. I didn't realize that the XM connector was ALSO a FAKRA, and my purchased salvage tuner was missing the keyed outside connector plastic part.

I'm hopeful it will make a difference, but I'm not sure if it will because I AM getting data from the satellite connection in the form of song title and artist listed in the MCU when tuning to a channel. I would think if the connection wasn't good, I wouldn't even get this.

I'm still willing to give it a shot and I'll report back when I get the the adapter cable.

Finally got an extra FM amp today; right off the bat I took off these nubs so it could lay flat.
IMG_20220725_2018119.jpg
IMG_20220725_2020353.jpgIMG_20220725_2020530.jpg

Decided to take a picture of these for funsies.

IMG_20220725_2034334.jpg

Unfortunately, there is next to no space for the amplifier to sit anywhere. It's plenty thin without the case but I'm worried about having exposed voltage around a tuner. The best I could get was laying like this; maybe using a piece of double sided tape to adhere it. But that leaves the big grounding lead floating.. Not great. Further up there is more space.

IMG_20220725_2034431.jpg

But the antenna ribbon cable won't reach. In general it's a PITA to connect and it seems to make no difference to the FM signal so I think I'm going to leave it dangling in there. I guess if we wanted to be real try-hards I could get a caliper and get the measurements for a 3D printed model of the antenna receptacle for an adapter.

But the antenna ribbon cable won't reach. In general it's a PITA to connect and it seems to make no difference to the FM signal so I think I'm going to leave it dangling in there. I guess if we wanted to be real try-hards I could get a caliper and get the measurements for a 3D printed model of the antenna receptacle for an adapter.

if you're not connecting the ribbon cable is there even a reason to having the second amp up there? i thought that was the entire reason behind trying to add a second amp...

Finally got an extra FM amp today; right off the bat I took off these nubs so it could lay flat.
View attachment 832813
View attachment 832814View attachment 832815

Decided to take a picture of these for funsies.

View attachment 832818

Unfortunately, there is next to no space for the amplifier to sit anywhere. It's plenty thin without the case but I'm worried about having exposed voltage around a tuner. The best I could get was laying like this; maybe using a piece of double sided tape to adhere it. But that leaves the big grounding lead floating.. Not great. Further up there is more space.

View attachment 832820

Yeah I actually had good reception with just 1 antenna attached and surprisingly decent reception when I had my XM FM direct adapter connected.

@ph0ton what's the antenna filter connected to? Maybe why it doesn't work in 2022 is bc it doesn't have that and it makes the fm signal stronger than xm

It's connected to a wire harness which finds a ground a little further down.

tempimage.jpg

That was my thinking as well, or something akin to that, but unplugging the filter had no effect on my satellite signal or audio.

So if we assume the documentation is correct for Tesla, there was no change in circuitry from late 2020 to the beginning of 2022. I've been looking at the circuit diagrams closely, and I don't know if it's actually significant, but I think the Shanghai circuit diagrams actually correspond to the AMD MCU, as there is a dedicated "gaming" power circuit.

In previous models the green wire connects to pin 12 and the yellow to pin 11:
1658803116724.png

But in the Shanghai models the pins are switched:
1658803163906.png

If we assume that this is only corresponding to the Chinese Model 3, then this is less than significant. Also, AFAIK switching wires on a twisted pair connection isn't going to give the behavior we are observing in the 2022 models. But this whole saga is a bit crazy, with Sirius XM libraries being already installed in the Model 3 OS so who knows, maybe it has weird failure modes too? Anyone feel confident enough to switch pins around? I would but my wires are already mangled.

EDIT: Note the green wire still corresponds to ETH_P and yellow to ETH_N so don't go crazy messing up your harness for this silly hail-mary.

Last edited:
random thought: has anyone with MCU3 tried just disconnecting the FM antenna entirely (i.e. leave the white fakra disconnected) with the satellite antenna connected, and see if that gets you sound from the satellite? that would be a worthwhile test i think with either version of the satellite tuner...would help rule out something like the FM signal being too strong (although that sounds crazy to me).

Reactions: ph0ton
random thought: has anyone with MCU3 tried just disconnecting the FM antenna entirely (i.e. leave the white fakra disconnected) with the satellite antenna connected, and see if that gets you sound from the satellite? that would be a worthwhile test i think with either version of the satellite tuner...would help rule out something like the FM signal being too strong (although that sounds crazy to me).
Did this. Just picks up static as if you were on FM with no antenna. I even tried plugging the XM antenna into both slots of the dual fakra with and without another XM antenna connected to the proper spot, nothing.

I suspect it's a missing signal or a source flipping issue. Once you go from a streaming channel or FM channel to an XM channel the music pauses and resumes the FM channel. In the same going from an XM channel back to streaming or FM it pauses and then resumes the last FM channel or streaming music. Vs in the model Y Intel it it still pauses but flips to the appropriate source and audio.

Last edited:
I suspect it's a missing signal or a source flipping issue. Once you go from a streaming channel or FM channel to an XM channel the music pauses and resumes the FM channel. In the same going from an XM channel back to streaming or FM it pauses and then resumes the last FM channel or streaming music. Vs in the model Y Intel it it still pauses but flips to the appropriate source and audio.
This is what I suspect too. The good news (just barely) is that we know the tuner is capable of receiving the "change source" command. Meaning if we can capture what that looks like on the CANbus (from a Model S or Model X), and use an external source to inject that CANbus, the MCU will simply play the audio stream it recieves. This is a convoluted solution, but possible with the right info and parts.

Reactions: ElectricNerd
thats my guess, since it works with both MY and M3 intel models and hasn't fully worked in OP or my M3 AMD. But as @crackers8199 has stated it could be a B vs "broken" C variant issue, i can't test that bc i can't seem to find a decently priced C variant tuner.

this is why I'm hesitant to do this unless we can get the tuner directly from Tesla. it's the only way to guarantee we get a working one.

now that I know there's one somewhat nearby me, I might give them a shot...