Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Failed (2nd) battery 700 miles out of warranty.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also don’t know how I can get it tested with a broken battery. It’s showing now it can charge up to 59% but I am guessing that won’t last long and it’ll potentially get worse and effect other systems if I drive it.
Are the battery issues the same as what you got it fixed in August? If so, hopefully you took screenshots to show you complained about it previously. That can be used as proof issues started showing up prior to warranty being over. If the issues are different, that's a tougher case, since they may say it's unrelated.

Op Joined just today. Smells like a troll
I’ll send you pictures. The only reason I joined was BECAUSE of this issue and I am lost
Now it charges to 59%? And before it charged it was dead? Not quite understanding this.
they are saying the battery is “dead” as in it news a new battery. As in broken, but anyone who has had battery issues are familiar with the “battery unable to charge to full capacity, schedule service” which is at 59%

Are the battery issues the same as what you got it fixed in August? If so, hopefully you took screenshots to show you complained about it previously. That can be used as proof issues started showing up prior to warranty being over. If the issues are different, that's a tougher case, since they may say it's unrelated.
Ya they are saying there wasn’t any battery issues before even though I complained.

What were the "potential" issues?

Your odometer shows 100,700 but you think the "real" mileage is less. I think you can test accuracy on the highway using mileage markers.

Test accuracy using mile markers on the highway.

Well, that'd just a bit off. But maybe not. If the filter was clogged it could cause overheating, charging issues from overheating, drainage from trying to push air through a clogged filter.
But ... I really can't even speculate because I don't know.

The app will show all your communications.

Hmmm

Red herring argument.

The app will show all communications.

If it charges to 59%, then you can run your test.

Pretty strange. I am pessimistic about this story, it just doesn't ring true. Maybe this thread belongs on Reddit.
And yes it’s very strange and true…. And upsetting. Like I told the service manager, I’d get it if it was 5k after warranty, heck even 2k, but 700 miles after warranty, and after I had already had a battery fail at 21k…. Seems so off.

Op Joined just today. Smells like a troll
IMG_5019.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5018.jpeg
    IMG_5018.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 21
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and Rocky_H
It's unfortunate timing, but it isn't Tesla's responsibility. The warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles, not "8 years or 100,000 miles or some arbitrary buffer if things fail 'too close' to the end of the warranty." The limit is there for a reason. You're asking them to make an arbitrary decision because you're upset. How much over is too much over? If 764 miles is ok, how about 765? 800? 1,000? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, if you draw the line there, then why isn't that just the actual terms of the warranty?

Your odometer argument is a real grasp at straws that is hard to take seriously.

Sorry you're in this position. Bummer luck. But Tesla doesn't owe you anything.

It's unfortunate timing, but it isn't Tesla's responsibility. The warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles, not "8 years or 100,000 miles or some arbitrary buffer if things fail 'too close' to the end of the warranty." The limit is there for a reason. You're asking them to make an arbitrary decision because you're upset. How much over is too much over? If 764 miles is ok, how about 765? 800? 1,000? Where do you draw the line? More importantly, if you draw the line there, then why isn't that just the actual terms of the warranty?

Your odometer argument is a real grasp at straws that is hard to take seriously.

That's not quite correct. If you reported the issue prior to warranty being over (and have evidence of the issue), even if the service didn't get to your case yet until after the warranty expired, the issue would still be covered. However, OP would need to prove that the issues previously reported are the same issue as the current one. That might be a bit tough, since presumably the August visit solved the most of them (although OP seems to claim some were deleted).

Reactions: MarkoP and Sellout

I 100% agree accept for the fact that I was having battery issues before and was brushed off, and when I asked them for their information that showed this battery issue happened after the warrant ended they said they could not share that data and only that it occurred after.
That's not quite correct. If you reported the issue prior to warranty being over (and have evidence of the issue), even if the service didn't get to your case yet until after the warranty expired, the issue would still be covered. However, OP would need to prove that the issues previously reported are the same issue as the current one. That might be a bit tough, since presumably the August visit solved the most of them (although OP seems to claim some were deleted).
ya that’s where I’m struggling. Warranty laws are written in the way that the provider actually has to prove that the issues accrued after the warranty expired. In this case I was told that all the logs showed “fine” but when I asked for more details on the logs looked at and the tests done in August I was told that they couldn’t share any of that information and that their logs showed my battery was fine before this issue occurred.

Reactions: Marty3SR+
I 100% agree accept for the fact that I was having battery issues before and was brushed off, and when I asked them for their information that showed this battery issue happened after the warrant ended they said they could not share that data and only that it occurred after.

ya that’s where I’m struggling. Warranty laws are written in the way that the provider actually has to prove that the issues accrued after the warranty expired. In this case I was told that all the logs showed “fine” but when I asked for more details on the logs looked at and the tests done in August I was told that they couldn’t share any of that information and that their logs showed my battery was fine before this issue occurred.
What I'd do is prepare as much documentation as possible and attach whatever you can find in terms of previous complaints.
Tesla may give you some goodwill I hope.

What I'd do is prepare as much documentation as possible and attach whatever you can find in terms of previous complaints.
Tesla may give you some goodwill I hope.
I’m guessing it’s just going to have to go to legal action. I’m talking to a lawyer tomorrow. They apparently already went through “all previous communication and reported issues” and are claiming they can’t do anything. Even the service manager said his hands are tied because of the way they are required to use the logs for warranty justification. It almost seems deeper, like don’t get me wrong I get that batteries can break, to say that the logs don’t have any indication of issues is weird. Like they are claiming that it was “perfectly fine” before hand but the fact that they determine what qualifies as an issue makes me wonder what their data actually shows and indicates. They just settled a class action lawsuit instead of releasing the data and logs they had on battery range claims. Just find it unlikely that if you looked at all the battery failures you couldn’t find some indication of failure before it happened and outside of their margin for good vs bad battery.

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen no "issue" in this thread presented with any sort of reasonable detail that would suggest a correlation with the current failure.

Reactions: Big Earl
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen no "issue" in this thread presented with any sort of reasonable detail that would suggest a correlation with the current failure.
According to them there was no issues which is exactly the problem. They are claiming by battery was perfectly fine and now it’s not even though I had issues and reported them. Please explain what sort of correlation you would except because there are 1000s of things that could go wrong with batteries and cause issues but the only ones that are allowed to diagnose, review, and determine that is Tesla. Plus no one else can see or examine the data.

Surely you opted out of the arbitrarion clause when you bought the car, ya? Else you're limited to arbitration or small claims.
This only applies during the warranty period since they are claiming the entire warranty is over then at this point they wouldn’t even pay for arbitration as they warrant specifically says it had to be instigated during the warrant terms.

Something I didn’t mention is that the service manager did tell me over the phone that there could have been more in dept diagnostics done that might have found a deeper issue with the battery back in August but they didn’t do it. Basically implied that they test at a high level but there might be deeper issues that need heavy diagnostics to find. When I got my first battery replaced it took a 7 day test to figure it out, which I have in an invoice. The service manager said this takes a lot of work such as charging it multiple times and testing how it depletes and drives and just not feasible to do for everyone. I want to get this in writing but ya just seems like they aren’t actually truly testing the batteries outside of the basic log tests.

According to them there was no issues which is exactly the problem. They are claiming by battery was perfectly fine and now it’s not even though I had issues and reported them. Please explain what sort of correlation you would except because there are 1000s of things that could go wrong with batteries and cause issues but the only ones that are allowed to diagnose, review, and determine that is Tesla. Plus no one else can see or examine the data.

In order to get a battery replaced under warranty, its rated range (capacity) must drop below 30% of new OR the car must be non-functional OR have some sort of terminal error. Based on the limited information you've provided, it sounds like none of these things were true, hence Tesla saying the battery was fine. At some point, a deteriorating condition will get to the point that one of these things becomes true - in your case, the terminal error. Without knowing the specific error codes, it's hard to say exactly what's wrong with your battery pack.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't work for Tesla. The information in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Reactions: MP3Mike