Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fair tug of war?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put the same tires on each truck, use a 4x4 Ford. That’s as even a playing field as you’ll get.
And load them up so they both have equal weight, because almost always the heavier vehicle wins. Personally, I'd rather see both pulling loads in a variety of conditions. That would be a more practical test.

Reactions: TheLocNar
Put the same tires on each truck, use a 4x4 Ford. That’s as even a playing field as you’ll get.

Well, the point is that the best SuperCrew towing number is not for the 4x4, 12,700 lbs, but for the 4x2, 13200 lbs.

Values achievables only on a single combination that affects the maximum power, with the 3,5L GTDI V6 and only with the optional 20".

Now, what you will choose, the top towing rate with the 4x2 which for sure should have less traction, or the 4x4?
I don't know, share your thoughts.

In any case, the best SuperCrew for towing is inferior to the Cybrtrk TRI and better then the BI.

That rises the question: the prototype is a BI or TRI? The driver in the test drive said it was a DUAL.

A fair comparison should be the best F-150 against the best Cybrtrk, the TRI. Price should be similar enough.

F-150 towing selector here:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...neral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_F150_Oct15.pdf

Well, the point is that the best SuperCrew towing number is not for the 4x4, 12,700 lbs, but for the 4x2, 13200 lbs.

Values achievables only on a single combination that affects the maximum power, with the 3,5L GTDI V6 and only with the optional 20".

Now, what you will choose, the top towing rate with the 4x2 which for sure should have less traction, or the 4x4?
I don't know, share your thoughts.

In any case, the best SuperCrew for towing is inferior to the Cybrtrk TRI and better then the BI.

That rises the question: the prototype is a BI or TRI? The driver in the test drive said it was a DUAL.

A fair comparison should be the best F-150 against the best Cybrtrk, the TRI. Price should be similar enough.

Note: Ford data taken from F-150 towing selector, look for the pdf on the web

The point is that nobody here cares about fake problems with being "fair".

Ford asked for a re-match, and THEN BACKED down from it. Done.

They already know they cannot win with ANY Ford truck. Get it?

QUOTE="EV Promoter, post: 4259909, member: 121902"]Well, the point is that [/QUOTE]

The rematch has been decided by Musk independently from Ford acceptance.
My evaluation is about what model Tesla should choose.
And that have to be fair, otherwise the rematch will turn back negative as a boomerang, beeing livestreamed as Elon said it would.
Get it?

The point is that nobody here cares about fake problems with being "fair".

Ford asked for a re-match, and THEN BACKED down from it. Done.

They already know they cannot win with ANY Ford truck. Get it?

QUOTE="EV Promoter, post: 4259909, member: 121902"]Well, the point is that
[/QUOTE]

Any Ford truck? Really?
I have a new F450 that begs to differ. All 10,000lbs of it.
It's all about weight. The CT wouldn't be able to put enough traction down to move my truck.

Fair is almost impossible to determine and in respects to a consumer product is even fuzzier

In regards to a car for example which of these is fair?

- $60,000 car with 700HP vs a $60,000 car with 400HP
- $80,000 car with 400HP vs a $60,000 car with 400HP
- $60,000 car with 4 doors and 700HP vs a $60,000 car with 2 doors and 700HP

What are you testing?

If you want to test value you have to compare cost to cost
If you want to test towing you still need to factor in cost but within a cost window you need to pit claimed towing capacity to claimed towing capacity
If you want to test performance do pit HP to HP? power to weight to power to weight?

We're talking about building a better product. If the CT or the F150 has a better combination of factors that's not unfair that's a better product. Wether advantage goes to heavier, better tires, etc those are product decisions that make that a "BETTER" product not unfair. So In my opinion ( convince me otherwise ) the ONLY factor to determine "FAIR" is MSRP to MSRP full stop.

Last edited:
Failed math huh?

*shrug* 1400lbs of bolt on accessories isn't really that unusual on one of those. GVWR is 14000lbs on the F450[/QUOTE]

My truck weighs 9800 pounds. As it came from Ford. There is no way a 7000 lb vehicle of any sort is going to pull it if I apply the brakes. My truck will be putting 10000 lbs down to pavement. The other vehicle 7000.
Just the way it works. Sorry!
As far as the GVWR on the F450 14000 lbs was placed on it to keep it in class 3. Bragging rights.
Ford and everyone else knows its a class 4 truck.

And load them up so they both have equal weight, because almost always the heavier vehicle wins. Personally, I'd rather see both pulling loads in a variety of conditions. That would be a more practical test.

The heavier truck would still win. I’m not sure it is reasonable to add weight to one truck or the other unless the expectation is that consumers will add that weight before towing. To me, it would be fair to let the heavier truck win and then do a cost per mile for “fuel” and see if the lighter truck does better and show the trade-off. Similarly it would seem odd to add weight to the lighter truck to make the cost/mile “fair.”

Oh there is a way. A running start will still break traction due to conservation of momentum. Then it's a matter of sliding friction vs mass.
The difference between static friction and low speed sliding friction of a typical tire on dry pavement is maybe a 10-15% reduction. Probably not enough to overcome a 30% weight deficit to keep it moving after the momentum of the running start is expended.

Any Ford truck? Really?
It's all about weight. The CT wouldn't be able to put enough traction down to move my truck.[/QUOTE]
Sure.....I have an F250 with a real 7.3 PowerStroke in it, all 9000 lbs of it.. Don't go full retard....

ICE vs. EV = unfair, non-starter of a competition.

AWD vs. 4WD (which is actually 2 WD)= unfair, non-starter of a competition.

Falcom Heavy vs. 767 Jumbo= unfair, non-duh starter.

Not ONE single person has stated the torque #'s of the STOCK Ford PowerStroke vs. CybrTrk, know why? CybrTrk still has better #s AND AWD, DUH. :eek:

The difference between static friction and low speed sliding friction of a typical tire on dry pavement is maybe a 10-15% reduction. Probably not enough to overcome a 30% weight deficit to keep it moving after the momentum of the running start is expended.
Yeah, I couldn't find good numbers to determine what would happen at that point.

Any Ford truck? Really?
It's all about weight. The CT wouldn't be able to put enough traction down to move my truck.
Sure.....I have an F250 with a real 7.3 PowerStroke in it, all 9000 lbs of it.. Don't go full retard....

ICE vs. EV = unfair, non-starter of a competition.

AWD vs. 4WD (which is actually 2 WD)= unfair, non-starter of a competition.

Falcom Heavy vs. 767 Jumbo= unfair, non-duh starter.

Not ONE single person has stated the torque #'s of the STOCK Ford PowerStroke vs. CybrTrk, know why? CybrTrk still has better #s AND AWD, DUH. :eek:[/QUOTE]

How about any Ford vs any Tesla? ;) (I'm thinking Semi)

• Funny
Reactions: Electruck