Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Crunch 2 - The Obstacle Strikes Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's rough. You are obviously a huge Tesla supporter. You've defended Tesla when you thought they were unfairly criticized. You spent plenty on this. Tesla needs to determine whether this is a fixable problem (long term), or sales will come to a screeching halt.

The cost of re engineering a conventional door would be huge, but might be the only answer.

June has been a rough month for Tesla. They certainly have their plate full with potential suspension problems, continuing drive unit problems, the SolarCity acquisition, now the AutoPilot failure. Hopefully they won't forget the customers that brought then this far, as they pivot to engineering the Model 3.

Wohmman sounds like a keeper as she continues to make time to schedule visits to the service center!

It's a shame. Your post is honest and well reasoned. Yet the 'Dislikes'......

I haven't got my X yet (supposedly next week), but I'm thinking turning on the child locks might be a good idea. Unless I am mistaken, this would prevent back seat passengers from opening the doors at all and let the driver always make the call of when, and which doors to open?

I both chuckled and cringed when I read the title of your thread. Then I did the same when reading your post. Title is perfect. Your attitude is too. Good luck with the fix. I'm either informed or amused by many of your posts - sometimes both at the same time.

Wohmman just took me aside and said she had to tell me about something that "happened with the car." Never what anyone wants to hear. She took me over to the passenger side FWD, and there was a dent and scratch. She parallel parked, there was a street sign. My son opened the door and the door cleared the post but smacked right into the sign.

Please excuse me while I continue to hate these doors.

View attachment 183667

Very sorry to hear that and now I have one more parking restriction for my wife.

Not that this will make you feel better, my wife hit the front of our Model S into our garage wall while backing out of the garage. It was 2 days after the car was picked up and I even told her she parked the car incorrectly the night before. :(

And now she only uses Summon to park and "unpark" the car.

My wife was very surprised that I had a minimal reaction. I just asked for details and talked about the changes we could make to avoid it happening again. I mean, it's a car. I'm not going to devalue the relationship I have with my family over a car.

Correct. As my wife describes it, the sign was perpendicular to the street like you'd see with most parking signs. If the post was merely that - a post - it wouldn't have ever hit. However, the sign protruded into the space above the door and that's where it made contact.

Essentially, don't park close to signs, but if you do, make sure that your passengers exit street side when possible.

BTW, I don't think this is unique to the FWD. I have had my minivan door completely demonished when the kid open the sliding door right next to a pole which was too close. And have the door banged up really bad by a fire hydrant which my passenger did not see.

Things happen, that's why we have insurance.

And since you are in the North Bay which I assume is the SF Bay, which body shop are you going? I think there are only 2 shops which are Tesla certified in the Bay Area.

Sorry for your learning challenges. With me, I always try to parallel park thinking that my curbside passengers will not bash into any sign posts, based on garage parking dents from other close car doors. Now I need to be looking not only laterally, but vertically too.
@ohmman you also have to watch out for those hedge clippers reflected in photo. They have a nasty bite if a finger is in the way. Snow shoes, not a problem...;)

Sorry to see this happen to you. Looks like a no paint dent remover could fix most of that. One day you'll have a big laugh over the whole thing. The day people stop crashing cars is the day the world stands still.

Here, I fixed this for you...
Wohmman just took me aside and said she had to tell me about something that "happened with the car." Never what anyone wants to hear. She took me over to the passenger side FWD, and there was a dent and scratch. She parallel parked, there was a street sign. My son Ohmboy opened the door and the door cleared the post but smacked right into the sign.

Please excuse me while I continue to hate these doors.