Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Slowly Dropping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sitting on the fence since I have a serious concern about the falcon doors. As admitted by Elon Musk, they are a complicated piece of equipment and have caused serious production delays. While I think they are definitely “cool”, I don’t see any real advantages to them since probably 90% of drive time, it will be just me and another passenger. I wish that falcon doors were an option, much like the ludicrous mode. (Although that might be something I might go for). Without the falcon doors, the cost of the car would drop significantly while eliminating another item that is bound to fail sooner or later. Speaking of failing, my nightmare scenario is that is pouring. I open the doors so the passengers can get in and then the doors fail to close and I am a hundred miles away from a service center. What then? OK, that most likely will not happen, but it is inevitable that machines do fail, otherwise there would be lifetime guarantees on every car. The argument that you can get out of a tight parking space makes no sense. OK, the passengers may be able to get out, but what about the driver? If you use the autopilot, then that argument is superfluous.

Now, if the falcon doors would be an option, which might reduce the price ten or more thousands of dollars, that would definitely make it competitive with the other high end SUVs on the market.

As of right now, I am sitting tight to see how the falcon doors hold up, or better yet, that they are an option for the people who absolutely want to show off using them.

Any thought on this?

I am sitting on the fence since I have a serious concern about the falcon doors. As admitted by Elon Musk, they are a complicated piece of equipment and have caused serious production delays. While I think they are definitely “cool”, I don’t see any real advantages to them since probably 90% of drive time, it will be just me and another passenger. I wish that falcon doors were an option, much like the ludicrous mode. (Although that might be something I might go for). Without the falcon doors, the cost of the car would drop significantly while eliminating another item that is bound to fail sooner or later. Speaking of failing, my nightmare scenario is that is pouring. I open the doors so the passengers can get in and then the doors fail to close and I am a hundred miles away from a service center. What then? OK, that most likely will not happen, but it is inevitable that machines do fail, otherwise there would be lifetime guarantees on every car. The argument that you can get out of a tight parking space makes no sense. OK, the passengers may be able to get out, but what about the driver? If you use the autopilot, then that argument is superfluous.

Now, if the falcon doors would be an option, which might reduce the price ten or more thousands of dollars, that would definitely make it competitive with the other high end SUVs on the market.

As of right now, I am sitting tight to see how the falcon doors hold up, or better yet, that they are an option for the people who absolutely want to show off using them.

Any thought on this?

I thought they would be cool initially but now that I have had them, they are awesome and 100% functional. The extra room it gives you is worth the complexities of the door. Not only that it works great.

like with anything new, there are growing pains, but it seems to get worked out better than any other car company.

Personally, I am glad these aren't an option

Any thought on this?

Yes, and it is a valid concern from watching threads upon threads on here about FWD issues. There is a good chance that some minor kinks are going to happen with your FWDs if you are one of the first 5000 VINs in my opinion.
It was the same with the Model S...first 5000 Model S cars had all kinds of minor kinks that needed to go in for servicing.
However, I am very confident Tesla will continuously improve the quality so that the FWD issues will be less and less frequent. If you are on the fence then maybe wait a little while to be sure.

I was not on the fence and knew there was a good chance my Sig X could have some minor issues (just as my first S did which was VIN 4XXX, which it had). I love how amazing new technology is when it improves my quality of life such as the S did and now the X does with 3 kids. My X had to go to service twice already for a few minor issues and I got a sweet Model S loaner both times, not as good as the X but still not bad.

The only reason I hate when my X has to go to service is because I miss how amazing it is while it is in service, no luxury rental SUV or even the S loaner can replace the experience of driving/owning the X.

Any thought on this?

We're production vin in the 600's and our falcon wing doors have worked great. I showed them to a friend the other day and at first they thought that they were cool, but they asked are they really useful? So I opened the door, moved the 2nd row forward and got in the third row by standing up in the car. Then they were like -- oooh that is so easy. Other crossovers with a third row (if they even have one) require you to be a gymnast to get in there. Of course, if you are never going to have passengers why not just get a Model S?

By the way, you can force the doors to close manually, even though it's not recommended. But in an emergency like you described, you can get them closed if needed.

As far as the falcon wing doors being an option--this has been discussed since they were revealed in 2012. There is no chance they will be an option unless they do a full reengineering. The frame is designed around those doors and changing them to something else would be drasticly expensive for them.

To anyone who is on the fence because of Falcon Wing Door issues, I offer an "easy" way to decide:

If you are the type of person who enjoys being on the bleeding edge, you will enjoy MX regardless of the issues you'll encounter. Why? Because you have the capacity to absorb short-term hiccups. On the other hand, if you are the type of person who wants/expects things to go smoothly, wait another year or so to order your MX.

I had my MX for two weeks before I encountered an issue with the Falcon Wing Door not closing. It's been at the SC for the last two weeks. And I miss my MX. I have a MS loaner but it doesn't even come close to the fun I have driving MX. And yes, I am very annoyed but I also understand it's new technology - problems will get fixed. I am knowlingly accepting this annoyance to drive the best car I have ever driven. Can’t wait to get mine back.

I am sitting on the fence since I have a serious concern about the falcon doors. As admitted by Elon Musk, they are a complicated piece of equipment and have caused serious production delays. While I think they are definitely “cool”, I don’t see any real advantages to them since probably 90% of drive time, it will be just me and another passenger.

Any thought on this?
Well there you have it then. Since you will never use them they will never wear out.

I am in the same situation. I think they are cool. When I use them occasionally I will get value from them. The only option is not to get the Model X at all. As others have suggested, if the Model S meets your other needs then go for that. Don't buy the Model X for the FWD's and in your limited use of them, I would not NOT buy it, because of them.

As far as the falcon wing doors being an option--this has been discussed since they were revealed in 2012. There is no chance they will be an option unless they do a full re-engineering. The frame is designed around those doors and changing them to something else would be drastically expensive for them.

Let me further expand/simplify on what @proven wrote: "There is no chance they will be an option <full stop>". Just imagine trying to fit a fwd on a Honda Odyssey. Pretty impossible/silly huh? The Model-X will never have regular doors. Tesla would need to design, build and crash test a completely new vehicle if it wanted a similar vehicle with regular doors.

Reactions: CTemp222
I would tend to agree that a redesign to replace FWD on Model is nearly impossible at this stage. Frankly I am hoping for the SW and señor improvement to make the FWDs work. I personally like these doors and would like to see them function effectively and safely.

I am pretty much given up on the auto presenting door and actually do not much care about that functionality. I like the auto closing when brake paddle is pressed and could easily live with the door opening just a bit on approach so that I can manually pull the door to open.

Thanks for the replies. So far, besides being "cool" the only positive is that getting into the rear seats is much easier. That is a very valid point, but for me personally, it is not worth an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars. Giving it more thought, how will I get our Christmas tree home? Rent another car with a roof rack? What about the bicycles? The cool doors are much like the hot red convertible sitting in the dealer's window. It will get you into the door, but then reason sets in and you drive out in a sedan or station wagon.

The vision with the FWD is probably the good one once they work properly and reliably for everyone, so they are not going to disappear. But the question on whether or not prospective buyers are ready to beta test them with other novelties (ie auto-presenting doors which for some at least are not a slam dunk yet) is a valid one. While I was so far really tempted to make it our family car on week-ends and my commute one, I decided to cancel it and will go for the S refresh instead. I'm confident Tesla will learn and fix in a timely manner and wish all the best to current and soon-to-be owners.
Edit: @star7030, the extra cost over a similarly configured (ie with air suspension) S is $5k. That's the price to sit up to 7 people in it, if you don't need that many then maybe it is still too much.

So far, besides being "cool" the only positive is that getting into the rear seats is much easier.
You're discounting one other item - if you want an all electric CUV, there aren't any competitors. If you can get by with one or two Model Ss, that's reasonable. But if you want extra cabin volume for road trips, or like a more upright seating position due to age, health, or pure preference - the Model X is the only one with this drivetrain available. And it comes with the doors.

So far, besides being "cool" the only positive is that getting into the rear seats is much easier. That is a very valid point, but for me personally, it is not worth an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars. Giving it more thought, how will I get our Christmas tree home? Rent another car with a roof rack? What about the bicycles? The cool doors are much like the hot red convertible sitting in the dealer's window. It will get you into the door, but then reason sets in and you drive out in a sedan or station wagon.

It sounds like the FWDs raison d'être (making a fastback CUV into a viable 7-seater) is not of any value to you. I'd recommend the Model S, it seems like it'd fit your needs much better. tons and tons of storage, roof rack, and a really nice look to boot.

Depends on which ones you're comparing it to. Have you priced out a Porsche Cayenne? The X is a bargain comparatively.
I priced the lowest cost Cayenne and I quickly ran out of 80k going into the first 20% of configuration equivalent to the X. Its astonishing how the Cayenne TurboS starts at 159k, a full 100k more than then base config. Yet it gets its ass whooped by the S and X at a much lower price point.

...it is not worth an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars.

Given that the Model X is only $5k more than an similarly optioned Model S, and it has a bit more to it than just the Falcons... I'm not sure where in the world you are getting that the doors alone add 10 or even 20 thousand dollars to the price of this car. At absolute most the doors add $5,000 to the car, and likely less considering the X is a bit more than just the S with the falcons on it.

Given that the Model X is only $5k more than an similarly optioned Model S, and it has a bit more to it than just the Falcons... I'm not sure where in the world you are getting that the doors alone add 10 or even 20 thousand dollars to the price of this car. At absolute most the doors add $5,000 to the car, and likely less considering the X is a bit more than just the S with the falcons on it.
And the joy I get when I open those Falcon Wing doors is worth way more than $5,000. Like others have said if you don't need the extra room, the higher seat position, the 6,7 adult sized seats and the enormous windshield, get the Model S. They drive similar, offer a lot of the same features and both have cowbell. But my X is prettier. :p

Hang in there folks. The problems should just be with the sensors and actuators, and they should straighten that all out eventually. There is nothing that prevents a gull wing (or falcon wing) door from being reliable. Most doors on DeLoreans still work just fine, and those doors are over 30 years old now (I had a DeLorean for awhile, and the doors were one of the few things that didn't need fixing).

Hang in there folks. The problems should just be with the sensors and actuators, and they should straighten that all out eventually. There is nothing that prevents a gull wing (or falcon wing) door from being reliable. Most doors on DeLoreans still work just fine, and those doors are over 30 years old now (I had a DeLorean for awhile, and the doors were one of the few things that didn't need fixing).
Do DeLoreans use electronic motors for the doors? Or do you have to manually open them, and/ or use hydraulics to stay open?