Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Slowly Dropping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies. So far, besides being "cool" the only positive is that getting into the rear seats is much easier. That is a very valid point, but for me personally, it is not worth an extra ten or twenty thousand dollars. Giving it more thought, how will I get our Christmas tree home? Rent another car with a roof rack? What about the bicycles? The cool doors are much like the hot red convertible sitting in the dealer's window. It will get you into the door, but then reason sets in and you drive out in a sedan or station wagon.

Another plus of the fwd besides the "cool factor" is having cover when it is raining....The fwd's really keep you and the cars interior dry when its raining out...

And as for bikes, with the optional tow package, you can mount a nice rack which can hold up to 150#'s of bike and accessories....

The biggest problem is the height. No one has ever put gull wing doors on such a tall vehicle before (as far as I know), so there is greatly increased risk of overhead obstacles, and they really need to get those sensors working well.

The biggest problem is the height. No one has ever put gull wing doors on such a tall vehicle before (as far as I know), so there is greatly increased risk of overhead obstacles, and they really need to get those sensors working well.
Good point.

And also many of these cars are not going to be used by enthusiasts who baby every move and placement of their cars. They are going to be used by people doing average activities who are probably also balancing 100 other things in their head and don't have the capacity to monitor every detail of their car and it's environment.

And also many of these cars are not going to be used by enthusiasts who baby every move and placement of their cars. They are going to be used by people doing average activities who are probably also balancing 100 other things in their head and don't have the capacity to monitor every detail of their car and it's environment.
My two guesses are:
  1. Tesla is having proximity sensor issues (as evidenced by the false alerts on bumper sensors). The current sensor suite is actually quite adequate for most if not all scenarios, and what we're seeing is an artifact of the sensor problem.
  2. Tesla will realize that the sensor suite isn't adequate and will make future builds with additional sensors, then begin the retrofit on existing builds.
Granted, that covers nearly every scenario except for Tesla just letting people smash their doors on poles. So it's a bit of a safe gamble...

@ohmman any diagnosis for the droopy door yet?
Not yet. I spoke with my SC this morning and they want to do a full punch list (delivery due bill items along with other items I've noted while driving). They're trying to set up an appointment for me.

SC also confirmed that they're building seat backs by VIN for the recall and will reach out at the time they're ready. Mine (23xx) are not yet ready.

Not yet. I spoke with my SC this morning and they want to do a full punch list (delivery due bill items along with other items I've noted while driving). They're trying to set up an appointment for me.

SC also confirmed that they're building seat backs by VIN for the recall and will reach out at the time they're ready. Mine (23xx) are not yet ready.

How long is your X going to stay at the SC this time around? Did they give you an estimated pick up date?

I suppose they are building the recall replacement seat back by VIN so as not to create a shortage for current production vehicles and a backlog of SC appointments.

Another plus of the fwd besides the "cool factor" is having cover when it is raining....The fwd's really keep you and the cars interior dry when its raining out...

And as for bikes, with the optional tow package, you can mount a nice rack which can hold up to 150#'s of bike and accessories....

I suppose having the cover of the doors during a vertical rainstorm is a nice plus for any backseat passengers, but what about the hapless driver (me) who has to use the regular doors?

A recent factory tour participant snapped this unauthorized shot in the diagnostics area.
both.jpg

Makes more sense now.

(Too late for the humor portion of the thread?)