Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail 235/55r19 on Gemini wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mulkogi

#teamblue
May 11, 2021
WA
I had the tires for about 2 weeks now. Decided to test it out since I couldn’t find any information about this combo.
Main reason i went with this size instead of the 245/55 is the XL load rating. Tires look ok on the Gemini wheels, not my favorite but good enough not to get new wheels. Doesn’t look stretched, similar fit with the oem tires. Rises the car about .5”.
Efficiency went down a little but not terrible. Avg of 275Wh/m became 295Wh/m. Ride quality improved over the stock continentals. Way more grippier tires too. I personally couldn’t hear any difference in road noise with these tires. Didn’t go to the snow yet but will try by end of the month.
So far i tested about 3 different navigation apps and speedo difference is only about 2mph faster than what the car shows.
i recommend it to anyone looking for mild AT tires good for year round use. Ask questions.

bruuuuh why the tease?

YOU NEED TO POST PICS OF YOUR SETUP!!

I can't wait to see it as I am looking for the same.

Thanks for doing all the hard work!
Sorry these are all the photos i have for now. I’ll get better ones when i get the chance

Attachments

• 169D428A-567C-43A1-B34F-2B1ACA8AC426.jpeg
    169D428A-567C-43A1-B34F-2B1ACA8AC426.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 2,041
  • 4E3FA177-C28F-4D3C-B418-555D270CE12A.jpeg
    4E3FA177-C28F-4D3C-B418-555D270CE12A.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 948
Reactions: Jdmoto
You can forego the XL rating if the load rating of the tire meets or exceeds the rating the vehicle requires. The 245/55-19 Wildpeak you mentioned is 1,929lbs per tire, so it would have fallen in the acceptable range.

Per Tire Rack: "If your car comes with an XL tire, it is recommended to stick with XL options. However, standard load tires can still be used provided they meet the vehicle's GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) requirements. The vehicle's placard, usually located in the driver's doorjamb, lists the front and rear GAWR. With two tires per axle, the tire load rating must be at least half of the GAWR. The vehicle placard will also list the service description of the original tires."

• Gross Axle Weight Rating - Front 20" Wheels: 3,005 lbs or 1,363 kg
  • Gross Axle Weight Rating - Rear 20" Wheels: 3,307 lbs or 1500 kg
Divide that by two, and you have 1,502/1,653 respectively. So a non-XL tire with a 1,929lb/tire weight rating would be safe and acceptable.

Reactions: Jdmoto
Im assuming it stretches it’s width, for more contact with the road. And if my math is right total sectional width goes from 9.6” to 10.4”???
No, the contact patch doesn't change. The sidewall is stretched out to fit a wider rim, however there are serious trade offs, like no more sidewall veritcal height equals lowered damping, loss of bead protection, and in extreme cases bead failure. It's really not a good thing to be this stretched, besides it being lowrider kid-ish. They're basically cheating to reduce losses from running a wide tire/rim combo.

No, the contact patch doesn't change. The sidewall is stretched out to fit a wider rim, however there are serious trade offs, like no more sidewall veritcal height equals lowered damping, loss of bead protection, and in extreme cases bead failure. It's really not a good thing to be this stretched, besides it being lowrider kid-ish. They're basically cheating to reduce losses from running a wide tire/rim combo.
Ok now im a bit confused…so it stretches the sidewall and increases the diameter?

Reactions: GrinchKing
Ok now im a bit confused…so it stretches the sidewall and increases the diameter?
Ok first it's not actually stretching per the definition of stretch. The contact patch never changes, that's designed into the tread. What's happening is that the sidewall is "stretched out" to fit a wider rim, ie. sidewall angle...
I just google it, i think i get it now. The sidewall just bulges out more.
Yea, but not bulge but runs at an angle instead of vertical which counteracts the design of said sidewall as it can no longer deform how it was designed to because it is now laying at a 35% angle or so (as an example) when it was designed to work vertical. The more angle or in other words stretched the sidewall is, the less damping it can do. The flipside to that is it improves turn in because there is less sidewall flex, but then you get into the downsides mentioned earlier.

Ok first it's not actually stretching per the definition of stretch. The contact patch never changes, that's designed into the tread. What's happening is that the sidewall is "stretched out" to fit a wider rim, ie. sidewall angle...

Yea, but not bulge but runs at an angle instead of vertical which counteracts the design of said sidewall as it can no longer deform how it was designed to because it is now laying at a 35% angle or so (as an example) when it was designed to work vertical. The more angle or in other words stretched the sidewall is, the less damping it can do. The flipside to that is it improves turn in because there is less sidewall flex, but then you get into the downsides mentioned earlier.
Ok thanks for the info…just gonna run stock and save myself from myself.

You can forego the XL rating if the load rating of the tire meets or exceeds the rating the vehicle requires. The 245/55-19 Wildpeak you mentioned is 1,929lbs per tire, so it would have fallen in the acceptable range.

Per Tire Rack: "If your car comes with an XL tire, it is recommended to stick with XL options. However, standard load tires can still be used provided they meet the vehicle's GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) requirements. The vehicle's placard, usually located in the driver's doorjamb, lists the front and rear GAWR. With two tires per axle, the tire load rating must be at least half of the GAWR. The vehicle placard will also list the service description of the original tires."

• Gross Axle Weight Rating - Front 20" Wheels: 3,005 lbs or 1,363 kg
  • Gross Axle Weight Rating - Rear 20" Wheels: 3,307 lbs or 1500 kg
Divide that by two, and you have 1,502/1,653 respectively. So a non-XL tire with a 1,929lb/tire weight rating would be safe and acceptable.
I thought the XL are constructed differently from standard tires? Anyway i might consider that option for when i need to replace tires. Good info.

Unfortunately due to timing issues i never went on the snow whit these tires yet. But can confirm rain and wet surface traction is many times better than before.

The logic of “stretching” tires in my case was because someone in the tire industry told me to go up one size in ratio and down one size in width. So since 235 is two sizes down and 55 two sizes up, it would technically minimize the stretched stress on the tire.
Of course the limiting factor is, of course you if you dig the looks of it or not, and the knuckle in the front wheel well. 245/55r19 definitely fit in there and it looks way better imo.

I did a similar trick with tires+wheels as well, motivated by a need to go over a dam spillway that's all river rock a couple times a month.
I'm quite sure the OEM Conti's would not like it, and this setup gets 1/2" additional ground clearance.

Like the OP, I've discovered (proven) that tire sidewall buys significant composure for the ride quality of the MYLR.

These are BFG Terra-Terrain A/T tires sized 255/55/18, mounted on M3 18" Aero wheels. Unfortunately the shop's insurance required the addition of TPMS sensors.
Notes: these wheels won't clear the MYP brake calipers, and there's just 1/8" wheelwell clearance at full lock steering (NBD). Steering knuckle has 3/8 clearance, very good.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 935
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 1,529
I did a similar trick with tires+wheels as well, motivated by a need to go over a dam spillway that's all river rock a couple times a month.
I'm quite sure the OEM Conti's would not like it, and this setup gets 1/2" additional ground clearance.

Like the OP, I've discovered (proven) that tire sidewall buys significant composure for the ride quality of the MYLR.

These are BFG Terra-Terrain A/T tires sized 255/55/18, mounted on M3 18" Aero wheels. Unfortunately the shop's insurance required the addition of TPMS sensors.
Notes: these wheels won't clear the MYP brake calipers, and there's just 1/8" wheelwell clearance at full lock steering (NBD). Steering knuckle has 3/8 clearance, very good.
This looks really, really good. I'm planning to do the same with my model Y LR - just waiting on the (750kg rated) M3 18" aero wheels. Going to go with 255/55r18's as well. Question for you - why did you go with the BFG Trail Terrain vs Falken Wildpeak Trail? My mind was set on the BFG Trail Terrain but Tirerack.com did a test of them and they changed my mind to the Wildpeak Trail. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=281

This looks really, really good. I'm planning to do the same with my model Y LR - just waiting on the (750kg rated) M3 18" aero wheels. Going to go with 255/55r18's as well. Question for you - why did you go with the BFG Trail Terrain vs Falken Wildpeak Trail? My mind was set on the BFG Trail Terrain but Tirerack.com did a test of them and they changed my mind to the Wildpeak Trail. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=281
I went with the BFG vs Falken for several reasons, but I have no prior experience with A/T tires, so went with fitment, reviews, reputation, and price.

1. fitment - I felt I was a bit on the bleeding edge of applying these tires to the MYLR, so making sure they'd fit was paramount.
It was funny when I went to America's Tire to buy, mount, and install them. They were nervous..... ;-) Full lock showed less than 1/4 inch edge clearance.
they also insisted on installing TPMS, which added 300 bucks to the package. grrrr. but having them does add confidence.
2. the reviews of the BFG that I read, including on Tire Rack, indicated the marketing blurbs of low noise were accurate. I didn't want a high noise tire.
further, BFG K02's are the industry benchmark for A/T tires and I figured the T-T were trickledown tech. So far I can confirm they are no noise and A/T effective.
3. I got these tires for $212 each, the Falken WP were $259 in January when I was shopping them.

My use case is 2 weeks, really two days, a month - but I leave them on for 10-12 days since I'm too lazy to change them twice in 10 days (takes 40 minutes, all in).
They get run over a quarter mile of river rock, a dam water release channel, and a mile of dirt each way. No way I'd trust the OEM Conti's to that.
The rest of the time they're run on highway at speed, and local roads, for which I would hate high noise.

BTW, the anti-slip feature on the controls menu does work well.