Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fan running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the engine (?) fan doing when the car is parked on the drive, climate is off and not charging and hasn't been used for hours/days.

I've noticed this a fair bit and just wondered. It must drain the battery.

I was annoyed to notice what must be the same fan running just this morning, around 30m after a short drive when I walked back out to the car.

I too thought the same thing ref power wastage.

However - I have TeslaFi monitoring (it is set to be as encouraging as possible ref letting the car sleep btw).

The TeslaFi monitoring tells me the car stayed awake after my drive for exactly an hour (incidentally losing just 0.4 of a mile in range).

I’m going to assume the fan is cooling for the computer staying up/awake that hour...and happier to know the power wastage for it is in the (still irritating) noise.

I can’t make that fit with the observations above as to it starting up/stopping with doors closing/opening though - I’m vaguely aware of the same when I get out...a sort of non-uniform wind-up of a fan....maybe the car’s idle process is set to calculate Bitcoin for Elon?

Reactions: Puma2020
er... but aircon on other ICE cars I've had don't "foul up and smell" even though the fan can't start itself up whenever it feels like it...

I don't have teslafi nor use sentry so I really don't see why when it's close to zero outside, a fan is needed to cool anything. Is it warming something instead?

I noticed that yesterday as we had a day full of solar, we got the car to 69% by sunset. This morning, it's at 63% which seems severe even taking into account that battery readings may not be super accurate when it's subzero all night.

Hi

Would like to check if the fan behaviour I have witnessed today is normal.

MIC M3 LR, supercharged this morning at South Mimms 20-80% (all bays full at 9am!!!). When I got home the fan stayed on for almost an hour, blowing out a lot of air under the frunk near the driver's side of the windscreen. Thought that seemed a bit excessive and presume it is down to the car having been supercharged. Was loud enough that I could hear it from inside the house.

Anything to be concerned about? As soon as I opened the driver's door the fans stopped, then came back on a few minutes after closing the door. Cabin overheat is off, but it's not hot enough for that to have been engaged.

Thanks

Hi

MIC M3 LR, supercharged this morning at South Mimms 20-80% (all bays full at 9am!!!). When I got home the fan stayed on for almost an hour, blowing out a lot of air under the frunk near the driver's side of the windscreen. Thought that seemed a bit excessive and presume it is down to the car having been supercharged. Was loud enough that I could hear it from inside the house.

Anything to be concerned about? As soon as I opened the driver's door the fans stopped, then came back on a few minutes after closing the door. Cabin overheat is off, but it's not hot enough for that to have been engaged.

Thanks
It’s normal - the fans will randomly start and stop depending on battery temperatures and internal cabin temperature (seemingly in no relation to ambient exterior temperature).

Opening doors after car had been sitting a while in the cold will cause the fans to kick in for around 30 odd minutes presumably preparing the battery for driving...

After driving short distances in the cold the same applies.

After driving longer distances / charging the fans will start and stop for in most of my cases up to an hour after finishing driving - presumably cooling the battery / whatever other components they cool down.

Reactions: spursman
It’s normal - the fans will randomly start and stop depending on battery temperatures and internal cabin temperature (seemingly in no relation to ambient exterior temperature).

Opening doors after car had been sitting a while in the cold will cause the fans to kick in for around 30 odd minutes presumably preparing the battery for driving...

After driving short distances in the cold the same applies.

After driving longer distances / charging the fans will start and stop for in most of my cases up to an hour after finishing driving - presumably cooling the battery / whatever other components they cool down.
Thanks for the reassurance!

The fan noises are from many sources. Keeping the batteries warm is the usual culprit. However, it you ever turned on Scheduled Departure, then it could be that, trying to get the car inside and out warmed up for you. Even when I switched back to scheduled charging, it seemed to remember scheduled departure even though it is now off. If the car is plugged in, then most likely it is drawing from the grid, unless your car is fully charged, then it seems to pull from the battery, maybe to help keep it warm(?).

Probably too soon after a drive, although could just be a continuation of normal end of drive situation, but this time of year it is common for cabin overheat protection to be running if that option is on, which may be on by default.

Cabin overheat protection normally only runs when cabin temperature >40-50C and whilst noticeable, the fan is unlikely in UK climates to be overly intrusive. Whilst cabin overheat uses some power, I was pleased to see how little excess energy was consumed during last years scorching hot weather with it doing a very useful job, ie keeping cabin temperature below 50C.

Probably too soon after a drive, although could just be a continuation of normal end of drive situation, but this time of year it is common for cabin overheat protection to be running if that option is on, which may be on by default.

Cabin overheat protection normally only runs when cabin temperature >40-50C and whilst noticeable, the fan is unlikely in UK climates to be overly intrusive. Whilst cabin overheat uses some power, I was pleased to see how little excess energy was consumed during last years scorching hot weather with it doing a very useful job, ie keeping cabin temperature below 50C.
Thanks - this is def off though.

Reactions: MrBadger

Yes it's normal ... and we all have our ideas about what's going on ... but the truth is, we don't really know for sure. You'll get used to whirring, the odd clang of expanding metal or whatever! It would be reassuring if a list of active processes could be flagged up on screen but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: MrBadger