Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fans / Air-conditioning Going Hyper after Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok so I just supercharge for 10-minutes at Barnsley in my model 3 and just after I unplugged it and got in the car all the sudden the battery fans of the air conditioning went absolutely crazy made an incredible noise that sounded like a lorry driving past and that banging noise was heard from the battery like it was expanding. It was so loud it made me a bit scared I jumped out the car and stood back as I thought it was about to burst into flames. Anyway after about a minute it's stopped and just went back to normal Has anybody had this happen to them is it normal?

• Disagree
Reactions: SteveM3P
ok so I just supercharge for 10-minutes at Barnsley in my model 3 and just after I unplugged it and got in the car all the sudden the battery fans of the air conditioning went absolutely crazy made an incredible noise that sounded like a lorry driving past and that banging noise was heard from the battery like it was expanding. It was so loud it made me a bit scared I jumped out the car and stood back as I thought it was about to burst into flames. Anyway after about a minute it's stopped and just went back to normal Has anybody had this happen to them is it normal?
All in the manual...
90D7F188-E716-4669-AB97-5DFFD3E465FC.jpeg

"Never spray a pressure washer directly onto the charge port while it's charging"
I'll file that under things that you shouldn't have to say but do because someone will try to sue you for not saying it.

On that subject, does anyone actually know how the charge port drains away? @Marc Roberts has problems with his car leaking in area of charge port and I have on occasion had condensation in car when returning to car after supercharging in certain climatic conditions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Daverh
On that subject, does anyone actually know how the charge port drains away? @Marc Roberts has problems with his car leaking in area of charge port and I have on occasion had condensation in car when returning to car after supercharging in certain climatic conditions.
I’d love to know this. It’s surely designed to drain somewhere, as it is I have to keep rags in the little cubby hole to soak the water up whenever I charge in the rain (which was every day in December)

I’d love to know this. It’s surely designed to drain somewhere, as it is I have to keep rags in the little cubby hole to soak the water up whenever I charge in the rain (which was every day in December)

I've got a couple of vehicle Type 2 plugs (the fixed bit that is fitted to the car), and, although not Tesla branded ones, they both have a drain hose fitting at the bottom. This is because these plugs can collect water in the lower part, so when fitted to a vehicle there needs to be a drain pipe run down through the floor somewhere. I've seen the same sort of arrangement in the recess around a fuel filler cap on an ICE car.

You can buy a little boot arrangement made of waterproof fabric that fits over the open charge port flap and plugged in connector. It's a bit expensive, though, and I've been thinking about making one, especially since I found a lot of water that had collected inside the connector on one of my charge leads a couple of weeks ago, causing it to come close to failing a routine insulation resistance test..

I've got a couple of vehicle Type 2 plugs (the fixed bit that is fitted to the car), and, although not Tesla branded ones, they both have a drain hose fitting at the bottom. This is because these plugs can collect water in the lower part, so when fitted to a vehicle there needs to be a drain pipe run down through the floor somewhere. I've seen the same sort of arrangement in the recess around a fuel filler cap on an ICE car.

You can buy a little boot arrangement made of waterproof fabric that fits over the open charge port flap and plugged in connector. It's a bit expensive, though, and I've been thinking about making one, especially since I found a lot of water that had collected inside the connector on one of my charge leads a couple of weeks ago, causing it to come close to failing a routine insulation resistance test..
That’s interesting about the drain pipes. There’s nothing inside the car that runs away from the charge socket, it’s just a big orange lump.

I will be interested to hear where Tesla say it’s meant to go on the Model 3!

C9436BBF-2E7E-4D62-93BE-B6F83E1587FE.jpeg

This is a side-on photo of a typical Type 2 vehicle inlet plug, showing the drain hose connection at the lowest part of it. I've not had a good look inside the Tesla one, but the one of these I have fitted to my EVSE test box has a small drain hole that lines up with where this hose connector is right at the lowest part inside the hollow around the periphery, where the cable socket fits.

upload_2020-1-1_9-34-46.png

This is a side-on photo of a typical Type 2 vehicle inlet plug, showing the drain hose connection at the lowest part of it. I've not had a good look inside the Tesla one, but the one of these I have fitted to my EVSE test box has a small drain hole that lines up with where this hose connector is right at the lowest part inside the hollow around the periphery, where the cable socket fits.

View attachment 495165

I've shone a torch into the the Tesla M3 fitting and I couldn't see any drain hole.