Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fantastic source of information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dffMD

Jan 15, 2018
Tampa
I had been getting ready to order a new 100D, had visited the Tampa showroom, and was very excited about the car.
Fortunately I stumbled upon this forum, where I learned many of the things I took for granted are no longer true.
The leather interior is no longer available. This absolutely blew me away. Polyurethane is not a “premium “ material. The fact that people refer to it as “Vegan Leather” is amusing at best, intentionally misleading at worst.
Now the Alcantara is gone. Love it or loathe it, it is certainly associated with higher end automobiles.
Other , less important things-no lifetime free Supercharger use, loss of the dead pedal among other things makes it look like Tesla is aggressively de-contenting their cars.
I’ve decided to keep my eye out for a nice late model S that is optioned the way I want (without all of Tesla’s “improvements”), or wait for the next generation Audi S7 (I currently drive an A7).

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Welcome to the forum.

I suggest you test drive the car. Some of the real good things about the car are not visible but need to be experienced.

It is true: Tesla does change the content of the car all the time. But my experience is that they are adding constantly. Many former ‚extras‘ are now standard. Certainly they change some small details. If those are important to you, you might decide to look elsewhere.

Best of all: all existing cars get updates to the software and learn new tricks (hardware permitting).

Reactions: DriveMe and arcus
I test drove an RS7 a few months ago before getting my P100D and the leather in the Audi wasn't nearly as nice as the seat material in the Tesla. The Tesla's material, whatever it is, was softer and more supple than the leather in the Audi. As for the headliner I agree that the Alcantrana is nice, but are you really going to buy a car based on the headliner? It sounds like you were just looking for excuses to stick with Audi.

As been stated, a Tesla has to be experienced as the electric drive is the prime differentiator.

New headliner I've heard is a very nice looking, tightly woven cloth that blends in well. I have the vegan/synthetic leather seating in my S and although I was previously insistent that my ass would not touch anything non-leather in any of my cars, I've been won over. This material feels similar to leather, but is more resistant to staining, cracking and wrinkling that happens to real leather over time.

You can still get free lifetime supercharging if you order by the end of the month using a code. PM me and I'll be happy to provide you with one.

I had been getting ready to order a new 100D, had visited the Tampa showroom, and was very excited about the car.
Fortunately I stumbled upon this forum, where I learned many of the things I took for granted are no longer true.
The leather interior is no longer available. This absolutely blew me away. Polyurethane is not a “premium “ material. The fact that people refer to it as “Vegan Leather” is amusing at best, intentionally misleading at worst.
Now the Alcantara is gone. Love it or loathe it, it is certainly associated with higher end automobiles.
Other , less important things-no lifetime free Supercharger use, loss of the dead pedal among other things makes it look like Tesla is aggressively de-contenting their cars.
I’ve decided to keep my eye out for a nice late model S that is optioned the way I want (without all of Tesla’s “improvements”), or wait for the next generation Audi S7 (I currently drive an A7).

This summer, a lot of 2-year leased CPOs will become available. Q3 of 2016 was a big push for sales and included great deals on 2-year leases.

I have driven a neighbors Tesla-I think it is an 85D, and liked it. A used one is still probably #1 on my list, but the polyurethane seats are a dealbreaker and were the final straw that has me considering other vehicles.
I am also very turned off by Tesla’s way of doing business. Would you pay $18,000 for a Rolex and accept “Premium gold-tone metal-looks and feels just like 18 K gold”?

'Pleather'

'PULeather'

Anyway you slice it, Tesla is saving hundreds of dollars per interior by NOT using leather. And laughing at the ant-skin wingnuts all the way to the bank.

You know folks = not a single animal is killed solely for its skin. Cowhide, calfskin, whatver - just the Cattle slaughtered for McDonalds alone is enough to keep every single furniture and auto manufacturer in skin for the entire year.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I am also very turned off by Tesla’s way of doing business. Would you pay $18,000 for a Rolex and accept “Premium gold-tone metal-looks and feels just like 18 K gold”?

I think that argument is a bit flawed. The value of the Tesla is not in the seats. The value is in the technology, batteries, etc. Much like most of the value of the Rolex is in the internal mechanisms and the brand itself. Premium materials are a bonus and do affect the value, but not in the same way that the materials affect the value of a Tesla.

I am also very turned off by Tesla’s way of doing business..
You mean listening to their customers? There was a very strong push to offer a vegan seat option (so much so that it was actually a ballot question at the annual shareholders meeting), so Tesla not only went out and did that, but they found a material that is actually better than leather. Sounds like a win-win to me

You mean listening to their customers? There was a very strong push to offer a vegan seat option (so much so that it was actually a ballot question at the annual shareholders meeting), so Tesla not only went out and did that, but they found a material that is actually better than leather. Sounds like a win-win to me
Really????? I guess that must be why they are so forthcoming in promoting that their premium seats are polyurethane.