Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastest 1/4 mile tires for 18inch rimmed M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey team! Been looking through the threads here to try and work out what the quickest 1/4 mile tyre is to run on an 18 inch equipped M3P.....without much luck....

Have just run 11.54 @ 116.2 on the stock 20s with the factory PS4s, and would like to try and shave an extra 1/10th if at all possible.
Any real world experience I would be very thankful for!

Mid 11.5s @ 116 mph is typical for an un-preconditioned 100% Stock Model 3 Performance with less than 100% SOC.

You can get that down to low 11.4s or even upper 11.3s with a lighter driver and preconditioning a full battery.

If you switch to 18” 19-22 lb wheels and 22-24 lb 235/45/18 tires you can get down into the low 11.3s consistently. Even the upper 11.2s in some cases.

If you take out the seats, frunk, and trunk you can get down into the upper 11.1s.

If you go with smaller outer diameter tires it will hurt your top end acceleration and barely help your 0-60 mph(~.01 seconds). It isn’t worth it unless you are just going for max 0-60 mph.

Tire compound is almost irrelevant for the Model 3 Performance especially on prepped surfaces. It doesn’t produce enough low end power to overwhelm the tires in a straight line.

Here is my progression from 100% stock to fully gutted on 18” wheels and 235/45/18 tires.

1. 11.55 @ 116.0 mph 100% Stock on 20” UberHeavies

2. 11.43 @ 117.67 mph 100% Stock but with some Preconditioning.

3. 11.31 @ 119.34 mph with 18” 18x8.5 T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Michelin PS4S tires. Fully preconditioned with 100% SOC.

4. 11.24 @ 119.42 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed, on 18” wheels with 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO All Season tires, and fully preconditioned 100% SOC.

5. 11.17 @ 120.0 mph with Seats, Frunk, and Trunk removed on 18” wheels with fully preconditioned 100% SOC and minimal battery degradation.

IMG_5399.png
IMG_5400.png
IMG_5401.png
IMG_5402.png
IMG_5403.png

Started the transformation - a set of lightweight Konig Flow Formed 18s. Now to find the lightest tire for them!
How much do your wheels weigh?

The lightest tire I have found that will fit is the 245/40/18 Pirelli PZ4. Mine weighed 21 lbs. However, they have an undersized diameter so they really hurt the top end acceleration where HP is decreasing.

Just go with any 235/45/18 summer tire and it will be quick enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
How much do your wheels weigh?

The lightest tire I have found that will fit is the 245/40/18 Pirelli PZ4. Mine weighed 21 lbs. However, they have an undersized diameter so they really hurt the top end acceleration where HP is decreasing.

Just go with any 235/45/18 summer tire and it will be quick enough.

The wheels weigh 19lb each which seems equivalent to a Martian style 18, but are 8.5 inch with a +35mm offset.
I have a friend in the tire biz that is trying to find the lightest 235/45/18 which he believes will be a Pirelli or a PS5.
What kind of pressure do you run in them at the track for best times?
(I would presume the ride will be nicer too)

The wheels weigh 19lb each which seems equivalent to a Martian style 18, but are 8.5 inch with a +35mm offset.
I have a friend in the tire biz that is trying to find the lightest 235/45/18 which he believes will be a Pirelli or a PS5.
What kind of pressure do you run in them at the track for best times?
(I would presume the ride will be nicer too)
The Pirelli PZ4 were the lightest tires I could find. I had the PS4S before and set my fastest time with those. They were 1 lb heavier but they were faster because the PZ4 were a smaller diameter.

I typically run high pressures at the Dragstrip because traction is never the issue. My best passes were close to 50 PSI because that gave me the best Trap speeds.

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
The Pirelli PZ4 were the lightest tires I could find. I had the PS4S before and set my fastest time with those. They were 1 lb heavier but they were faster because the PZ4 were a smaller diameter.

I typically run high pressures at the Dragstrip because traction is never the issue. My best passes were close to 50 PSI because that gave me the best Trap speeds.
We are going to weigh a ton of different tires - will report back in here.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Got the new skateboard wheels on! Just a question - How long does the TPMS registration for new sensors take? Drove a mile or so and still trying to learn. Got the right sensors for this MY19 so its not that.
What does the tire and wheel weigh? The TPMS sensors registered almost immediately when I swapped my wheels out. I have the newer sensors though so it may be different. Do you have to manually register the older ones?