Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fastrak Toll Road Stickers Working With M3 Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new FasTrak toll roads (California) sticker for my M3 in the mail. It's not a plastic thing that velcros onto your windshield. It's the small sticker (2.5" x .75") that is meant to stick onto your windshield.

Was wondering if this will work on the M3 windshield. I know Fastrak mentions that metalized windshields aren't compatible with these stickers. But does the M3 have a metalized windshield or anything else that hampers the sticker from working? Anyone else got one of these and had either success or failure with it working on the M3? Thanks all.

I have the sticker too. Hoping some people will chime in on whether it works in all locations. Toll roads say to mount at bottom of windshield on left or right, but as I recall Tesla manual said to mount transponders to the right of the rear view mirror. Im guessing it will probably work anywhere, but would like to be sure as the directions say it is a one time stick only and will be damaged if you try to remove it.

For the 91 express lane here in SoCal, they are switching us from the device to the sticker. And according to them, entire CA will be switching to the sticker.. and eventually entire US.
Given that the sticker doesn't have a switch like the Flex transponder, how do you tell the system that you have a CAV and are eligible for free/discounted lane access?

Edit: According to the link I posted above you actually need to keep the switchable transponder to get CAV discounts (scroll to the bottom where it says "Switchable Hardcase Transponders"). They suggest to mount both the sticker and the transponder. That seems really stupid. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Given that the sticker doesn't have a switch like the Flex transponder, how do you tell the system that you have a CAV and are eligible for free/discounted lane access?

Edit: According to the link I posted above you actually need to keep the switchable transponder to get CAV discounts (scroll to the bottom where it says "Switchable Hardcase Transponders"). They suggest to mount both the sticker and the transponder. That seems really stupid. :rolleyes:

Well the ones that were from 91 express lane actually don't have a switch. But EV gets free toll on 91 with special access account except from 4pm-6pm on weekdays. I actually just set my transponder on the Model 3 dash with mask tape in a loop at the bottom. I wonder if I get the sticker, if I could just stick it on the dash instead of the windshield.

Was wondering if this will work on the M3 windshield. I know Fastrak mentions that metalized windshields aren't compatible with these stickers. But does the M3 have a metalized windshield or anything else that hampers the sticker from working? Anyone else got one of these and had either success or failure with it working on the M3? Thanks all.

In Texas we have the stickers. Mine has been working fine. The Model 3 owners manual suggests placing it to the right of the rear view mirror. The actually instructions with the toll sticker say to place it below the mirror. I think the Tesla suggestion of "to the right" are to improve driver visibility. I put it to the right and it's working fine. Page 154 of the current Model 3 owners manual has a graphic showing where they suggest you put it.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I got a new FasTrak toll roads (California) sticker for my M3 in the mail. It's not a plastic thing that velcros onto your windshield. It's the small sticker (2.5" x .75") that is meant to stick onto your windshield.

I know on the FasTrak website it mentions the sticker isn't removable, I know this sucks and found this product on amazon that might help. I haven't gotten my FasTrak Sticker yet but seems like a good product: https://www.amazon.com/STICKER-SHIE...efix=windshield+st,aps,201&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Anyone else got one of these and had either success or failure with it working on the M3?
Now I want one (to get rid of the ugly transponder), but unfortunately they don't seem to be available from Bay Area Fastrak.
I don’t have a sticker, but put my FasTrak transponder in my Model 3 frunk, under the mat, and it works fine.

Yes, to the bottom right side of the windshield. But if I had to do it again I’d probably just scotch tape it in place instead of permanently adhering it to the windshield just in case I need to move it around or don’t need it any more.
A lot of the sticker transponders require being adhered to the windshield because it actually uses the glass as an antenna, which is why they don't work with metalized windshields (in particular rain sensors really wreak havoc with them). I've seen a few cases where they work with scotch tape, but generally, they have to be attached directly.