Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Faux Leather Seat Bubbling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 1R LH SC TRIM ASY LHD PUR BLK1452871-91-E

..is the part number for the seat cushion. I believe that part is ~$400, cheaper second hand of course. No idea why you'd have to replace the whole seat.

Even though the part above says "LH", the part code appears to be the same for both sides according to the EPC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jez_GB
@Tony Hoyle even if it the seats are deemed a consumable, I would think that they would still need to be durable enough to last for a good while. And clearly this one hasn't. So I think it would still fall foul of not being satisfactory quality.
I really hope Tesla change their mind, and do cover this... So annoying.

It comes back to my earlier post. The US may be different, but in the Uk an item must be fit for purpose.
if you spill something on a car seat which is a product you might reasonably expect to carry in a car from time to time and it damages a seat, the seat is not fit for purpose. Stains are perhaps another matter.
I’ve owned over 30 cars in my life from old bangers to top notch. I’ve spilt all sorts, I’ve sweated, worn sun cream, after shave and lord knows what else.
I’ve never had anything that didn’t just clean off without damage.
Life happens and in the UK our trading standards laws have it covered.

Reactions: M3noob
Aside from being the LHD variant, you won't get one from tesla. There are a couple on ebay from crash damaged cars..
"M3 1R RH SC TRIM ASY RHD PUR BLK" has the same part code.

@gidster99 give Tesla Park Royal a call (020 3744 8177), ask to speak to George McCaugherty, he is brilliant. I've bought various "off menu" parts from him, including all of the bits to do a USB-C retrofit, and more recently the heated steering wheel, even though Park Royal are nowhere near being my local SC.

He can pull up the parts list for your car and confirm the above part code & price to replace the seat cushion.

(the above assumes you've exhausted warranty replacement options)

Reactions: gidster99
Speaking from my own experience. I had the whole bubbling headrest think. Initially SC was pushing back claiming that it was hair products that caused it. When I mentioned that I have no hair (lol) they claimed it was the oils from my skin...At the end they replaced it under warranty as gesture of good will one time only. I was advised to wipe the headrest each time I am off the car....Ended up putting a seat cover. Looks fugly but saves me the trouble...
I'm a bit offended that you are making the car look fugly, have you considered dressing appropriately to drive?
1627383334304.png

Utterly ridiculous, "oil from you skin" BS! Clearly there are manufacturing defects that cause this.

It comes back to my earlier post. The US may be different, but in the Uk an item must be fit for purpose.
if you spill something on a car seat which is a product you might reasonably expect to carry in a car from time to time and it damages a seat, the seat is not fit for purpose. Stains are perhaps another matter.
I’ve owned over 30 cars in my life from old bangers to top notch. I’ve spilt all sorts, I’ve sweated, worn sun cream, after shave and lord knows what else.
I’ve never had anything that didn’t just clean off without damage.
Life happens and in the UK our trading standards laws have it covered.

There are two perspectives here. You’re automatically assuming the seats aren’t fit for purpose, because the OP said nothing was ever on them.

What if something stated in the manual “listed above” got on the seat and damaged it. ?
I suspect you are just choosing to believe that couldn’t possibly be the case, and this is definitely a “Not fit for purpose case.”

Seems folks build the model they want the outcome to support. …

I'm a bit offended that you are making the car look fugly, have you considered dressing appropriately to drive?
View attachment 688634

Utterly ridiculous, "oil from you skin" BS! Clearly there are manufacturing defects that cause this.
I kid you not. This is the exact reply from the service invoice:

Concern: Seats - customer states: Drivers headrest worn off. Please see attached photo

The root cause is related to the vegan polyurethane resin (PUR) being susceptible to swell under the action of certain chemicals, some of which are found in cosmetics and head oil within a certain pH spectrum. When there is extended contact with the chemical at high temperature (a hot car), the chemical diffuses into the coating, it swells, overwhelms the adhesive holding the coating to the textile, and the coating delaminates. We advise having a pack of baby wipes or similar in your car and every so often wiping the headrest to remove those chemicals or head oils which cause the polyurethane to swell. We will offer a one time goodwill replacement as this is not a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered by warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: s88ats and Durzel
There are two perspectives here. You’re automatically assuming the seats aren’t fit for purpose, because the OP said nothing was ever on them.

What if something stated in the manual “listed above” got on the seat and damaged it. ?
I suspect you are just choosing to believe that couldn’t possibly be the case, and this is definitely a “Not fit for purpose case.”

Well I can say that I do not use lotions, sunscreen, hair sprays or gels, hand sanitizers, e-cigarette or vape pen liquid on my bum. Neither do I swim - especially not with all the pools having been closed over the last year !
As for cleaning products, I use a water-damp microfibre to clean the car (well, actually the kids do it - part of the deal in getting the Tesla in the first place!) And if it was down to the cleaning products used (ie water!) then the same would have happened all over the leather, not just on the driverside seat.

So I really do feel that this is a defect.

Having said all that, I take your point that Tesla have no way of knowing that (apart from taking my word for it).

Nevertheless, it seems to me that there must be an issue of Satisfactory Quality, and I hope they will come to recognise that.

I kid you not. This is the exact reply from the service invoice:

Concern: Seats - customer states: Drivers headrest worn off. Please see attached photo

The root cause is related to the vegan polyurethane resin (PUR) being susceptible to swell under the action of certain chemicals, some of which are found in cosmetics and head oil within a certain pH spectrum. When there is extended contact with the chemical at high temperature (a hot car), the chemical diffuses into the coating, it swells, overwhelms the adhesive holding the coating to the textile, and the coating delaminates. We advise having a pack of baby wipes or similar in your car and every so often wiping the headrest to remove those chemicals or head oils which cause the polyurethane to swell. We will offer a one time goodwill replacement as this is not a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered by warranty.
That's very rude, implying that you have an oily head, I would hope they can prove that. Also what is the 'pH spectrum' that is known to cause an issue and have you tested your head with universal indicator paper. How many hats have perished? Did your hair fall out or get burnt off by your acidic 'head oil'? Do you need to be careful near barbecues with all that flammable oil seeping out of your head?

Also, why is there not a warning in the manual describing the perils of head oil? It describes solvents being an issue, which I maybe understand, not oils.

1627386525035.png

I feel like this is one of those cases where either Tesla will goodwill it and it won't happen again, even if you change absolutely nothing about how you clean or treat the seats, because the replacement part doesn't have the same defect, or you'll have to fight tooth and nail - possibly all the way to small claims, invoking Consumer Rights Act, etc to end up with the money to get the seat/cushion replaced, and have a generally sour opinion of Tesla from that point forwards.

That seems to be the trajectory for these things.

Reactions: s88ats and init6

In the UK, there is a presumption in law that something is likely to happen in this kind of scenario. When manufacturing an item, those likelyhoods should be taken into account. It like buying a shirt and being told that sweat may damage it! That kind of exclusion doesn’t wash in the UK!

Reactions: Jez_GB
I got this reply from Tesla. Definitely not what I was hoping for, or indeed, what I believe is right.

Good morning,

We hope you are well and thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear you are not totally satisfied with the response from our London Brooklands Service Centre and Engineering team with regards to the seat concerns outlined in your email below. We have reviewed all of the correspondence and information provided between yourself and the teams investigating. Although we understand your frustrations we can confirm as this is not a defect reported from delivery (March 10th 2020) we would deem this as wear and tear or damage of which we would be unable to perform rectification under warranty. Please refer to page 8 of the warranty document which states all warranty limitations.
1627643017324.png

The Service Centre have confirmed as we are unable to replace the seat base cover the seat as a whole unit would require replacement. If you wish for us to replace the seat please let us know and the Service Centre can provide a quotation and order the required parts. Alternatively, we would recommend possible upholster attention.

Please be advised we can only apologise if this is not the answer you sought from your emails below. Our Customer Service team work alongside our Senior Management teams, therefore, any response received from our team is provided as a response from the business respectively. As such, we would not be able to provide any further routes for goodwill or escalation.

Kind regards

Customer Service UK and Ireland

I cannot understand this response... the very fact that they are saying that this is normal wear and tear should mean that it is far more common than it is appears to be given I have only driven around 6,500 miles (and have the issue) and there must be many Tesla drivers who have far more miles on the clock (and who do not have the issue) ... If it was normal wear and tear then we should see lots and lots of these issues. And the fact that we don't seems a clear indication that this must be a defect that should be covered under warranty.

I am thinking of trying to reply to this email once more. But if that doesn't get anywhere do any of you have suggestions as to what to do next?