Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought one of the reasons that property owners would lease space to Tesla for SpCs was to bring business to their tenants.
I don't know about Tesla, officially, but various sites do list nearby businesses to SpC locations. If those businesses are going to
be obnoxious I don't think they should get "full credit" for being nearby and convenient. Don't confuse "control" with "influence".
I'm not confused at all.

As I stated. If you don't like the SC location...go somewhere else. Tesla isn't required to make SC locations attractive to everyone. Again - its unfair to blame Tesla for BK's shortcomings.
Its quite possible that BK changed its policy yesterday...and then will change it next week... and so on. For goodness sake - its a paper sign on a door. Its not etched in a plaque. How is Tesla responsible for that at all?

Last edited:
Burger Kings aren't owned by Tesla. Tesla has no control over what Burger King does. Give'm a break.
if the SpC is located at, on the property of the burger king in question then they could be in breach of their agreement with tesla.
I suspect that the SpC isn't located on the BK property and that their management is quite clueless for posting such a sign. I've never encountered anything like that at any other SpC location.

Reactions: RogerHScott
if the SpC is located at, on the property of the burger king in question then they could be in breach of their agreement with tesla.
I suspect that the SpC isn't located on the BK property and that their management is quite clueless for posting such a sign. I've never encountered anything like that at any other SpC location.
It is located on the Burger King property, so far as I could see, with nothing but a vacant lot on the other side. Same parking lot, just a few feet from the side door. And nothing else anywhere near (business development is very dispersed in that location).

At least three AZ Supercharger Stations seem to be at Carls Jr restaurants. No issues with restroom use.

I don't know how to contact Tesla nor do I know if they would care.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
It is located on the Burger King property, so far as I could see, with nothing but a vacant lot on the other side. Same parking lot, just a few feet from the side door. And nothing else anywhere near (business development is very dispersed in that location).

I don't know how to contact Tesla nor do I know if they would care.
If what you say here is correct I think that Tesla would/should be quite interested in hearing about this. I think that part of the siting of the SpC is the availability of services like a restroom close by. while I do not know the exact criteria used for locating SpCs nor do I know the contract for the siting of the SpC but I'd assume that such a sign isn't part of the contract. All that said, in your part of the world the SpC in colorado springs doesn't seem to have any such facilities available close by.

Indifference isn't the same as preference. It sounded like you were saying that some people
prefer locations w/o restroom facilities. If that wasn't what you were saying then I don't follow
your point. Why would Tesla not seek features that some people want and others are at worst
indifferent to?

Indifference isn't the same as preference. It sounded like you were saying that some people
prefer locations w/o restroom facilities. If that wasn't what you were saying then I don't follow
your point. Why would Tesla not seek features that some people want and others are at worst
indifferent to?
Don't go with what it sounds like. Go with what I said.

Tesla builds SC's to charge cars. If its conveniently located at a place with a restroom - then that's a bonus. There are a ton of posts here on this forum where people are having heart attacks about people leaving their Teslas unattended at SC's. Where are you people? You almost tried to crucify me for leaving my Tesla unattended at an SC.....where are you now?

If it took 30 minutes to gas up your car would you go to ICE station restrooms? I mean - really?

What type of app are you using that indicates that there are "free" restroom facilities at a SC location? I'm wondering how Tesla or anyone would know.......

Some SC locations have changed drastically since they were installed.
really? other than Newark DE being expanded I haven't seen much changes at the older SpCs that I frequent.
I use plugshare which sometimes gives you an idea of what facilities are available and I have another app called superchargers which usually has a listing of close by amenities.

Favorite might be Queensbury NY, because it's opened up almost the entire Adirondacks to me again. Sometimes location really is everything.

Not a huge fan of the SCs on the CT Turnpike or the Merritt -- often ICEd (the ones on the Merritt even have obnoxious signs that prohibit getting a full charge -- 45 min max), not much to do. Though the Merritt ones are right next to free 50kW Chademo chargers which is kind of nifty, and convenient for topping off if there's another Tesla waiting for the SC spaces.

I agree that the San Diego Supercharger is terrible. It's also far from a freeway exit/entrance. I've only been there once on a weekend, and that area was a ghost town.

I think the Superchargers I like tend to have some things in common:

* It should have plenty of stalls, and it shouldn't be too crowded -- let's face it, nothing is worse than getting to the Supercharger to find that they're all taken, and that you'll need to wait.
* It should have walkable amenities.
* Food and/or Shopping.

1 point each for safety, night access, walkability, restrooms, restaurants, wifi, stall availability, shopping, other attractions.
and 1 point because it's a Supercharger. ;)

Here are the ones I've visited so far (all in California)

Mountain View: This one is located at the Computer History Museum. I've only been here at night, and it was raining so I didn't get to step out. I'm familiar with the area, but the problem here seems to be local charging and high Tesla density. Even at midnight in the pouring rain, there were probably 8 or 9 vehicles there. They have lots of chargers. I only did a short range charge here. 7/10.

Gilroy: Outlet Mall. Lots of chargers here, and also some other EV charging types. There's also an In-N-Out here too. Good walkability. Good shopping. Just wished that they had more food choices. Had to do a longer charge here. 8/10

Buellton: Santa Ynez Marriott. I usually only need to do a short charge here, but The Marriott is pleasant. They have wifi, and a bar/restaurant. I wish there was more to do within walking distance. 7/10

Atascadero: At Rabobank. Usually after driving down from Gilroy, I'm ready for a break. I always plan on taking a short charge here, but I always end up taking longer charging than I thought. Walk and explore the area --

Oxnard: located in a outdoor mall. Plenty of places to eat and shop at. Not sure what it's like when the mall is closed. 7/10

Culver City: At Westfield. There's the mall, but when it's closed, there's not too much around. I stopped here just to check it out and gauge stall availability. Lots of chargers here, and lots of cars charging. Probably one of the bigger Superchargers I've seen. 7/10.

Redondo Beach: Hilton Garden Inn. I like this Supercharger location a lot -- as previously mentioned, their bathrooms are nice, there's wifi, and a lounge, and a bar and restaurant. It's walkable to an In-N-Out too. (by the time I get to In-N-Out, order, and then eat, I usually get the charge is nearing completion message). Stalls are often crowded, but never full. 8/10

Hawthorne: Tesla/SpaceX. Lots of Chargers, not easy to find, and you need to snake through a (sometimes security guarded) road. There's no restaurants or or shopping nearby, however. It's neat to go there once just to see, but this one is one that I often skip. 6/10

Fountain Valley: At Petsmart/Costco Plaza. I really want to like this Supercharger, but I just can't. This Supercharger takes some of the pressure off of SJC, but it's also heavily used by locals -- in one sense, it's a good location because there's some stuff that's walkable, there's food, restrooms. But there's two additional hazards here: shopping carts and Costco shoppers. Skip it for travel charging unless you absolutely need it, because the LA superchargers are usually less crowded. 6/10

San Juan Capistrano: I'm really not a fan, and fortunate enough that I don't often need to stop at this location. There's lots to eat and see here. The problems are always congested stalls, which results in needing to wait to charge. I'm also not sure where the bathrooms are if the restaurants are closed. 5/10.

San Diego: Qualcomm. I don't like this location because there's nothing really to do here while waiting to charge. 6/10

how ever you slice it, lets be honest, most of the locations are very inconvenient. if you want to have some insfrastructure neraby, as is the case in defuniak or Auburn, you drive several moles off the highway. others are conveninet to the highway, Weyethville for example but no infrastructure. THen you have places like Chattanooga at the airport or, i think the worst, Atlanta, hidden in a busy parking garage. what needs to happen is to have these chargers associated with some chain like Starbucks or a gas station chain.