Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are your favorite and least favorite supercharger locations? EG, which have the amenities you want and which fail? Which are safe for walking and feel safe later at night? Which are examples Tesla should follow in choosing future locations and which not?

Unlike gas stations where our only concern was easy on/off the highway (and clean restrooms for my wife), we want a lot more in supercharger locations. We spend a lot more time at superchargers and want good and safe options for eating or enjoying a good cup of coffee while working on our laptop.

Based on reviews in Chargerville they currently rank like this:

Charger Rankings | Chargerville

My top priority is a good coffee place with good atmosphere, second is healthier eating options, and third is that it's safe to walk to these places from the charger. Two of my favorites are Duluth MN (Duluth Supercharger | Chargerville) and Defuniak Springs FL (DeFuniak Springs Supercharger | Chargerville). Both have a number of coffee and eating options that are safe to walk to.

We visited Lafayette IN during winter and found walking to any of the food places quite dangerous and would have preferred much better food options than are available. Lafayette Supercharger | Chargerville

Favorite SC- Redondo Beach CA! It's at a Hilton garden inn, the restrooms were spotless, plus wifi and a nice lounge to hangout in. I just loved it on our trip to San Diego.

Least favorite- San Diego CA, it's located in an area where you have quite a walk to the nearest restroom or food joint.
No Bueno when traveling with my gf.
Edit: I should note, I was at the San Diego SC on the weekend when Qualcomm was closed.

Reactions: Owner
Worst-There is a temp location near D.C. in the westfield mall. There are only 2 chargers and during mall hours its terrible.
There was a sign there that the location is closing and moving to a permanent location. Hopefully the new place is better equipped.

The best so far for me is the Buckeye, Arizona supercharger. It has Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, a subway sandwich shop, Game Stop, Walmart, Pet Smart, Dunkin Donuts and more. I always return to the car with the car fully charged because there is so much to do.

The worst was the one in Las Vegas, Nevada - it is in a bad location and has 1 strange little eating place that did not interest me.

We visited Lafayette IN during winter and found walking to any of the food places quite dangerous and would have preferred much better food options than are available.
Really? I'll admit the destinations themselves are no great shakes, but I wouldn't remotely call the walk to them "dangerous". On what basis did you conclude that?

In general, my impression is that SCs are rarely located near the sorts of places I'd prefer to visit. Fortunately, I haven't had a lot of
need for SCs.

I was stretching my legs at the San Marcos TX SC at around 1 or 2 AM and Security rolled up and said they really preferred I stay IN the car while there.

So I felt REALLY safe, too safe LOL but sometimes on the road I have to use the restroom or buy a bottle of water! (mall closes at mall hours and there are drink vending machines outside but no access to the restrooms)

I like two different types of Superchargers. I like the ones that are in a shopping area convient to the highway. These are great if you're traveling during the day as they give you plenty of stuff to do while charging. A perfect example of this is the Hamilton, NJ one. Its right next to a Barnes and Noble that has a coffee shop and stuff to browse. In addition there are a ton of food options within walking distance.

I also like having them be at rest stops on the highway for quick and easy access when I just need a few more electrons.

Really? I'll admit the destinations themselves are no great shakes, but I wouldn't remotely call the walk to them "dangerous". On what basis did you conclude that?
There was too much snow to walk across the grassy area so we had to walk along the road. There were a lot of surprisingly fast cars going in/out of the parking lot and along the road who were not paying attention. Someone else who was charging once said that they'd had similar problems after a heavy rain when the grassy area was too soggy to walk through.

We had a similar problem at Country Club Hills when we walked to Applebees.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There was too much snow to walk across the grassy area so we had to walk along the road. There were a lot of surprisingly fast cars going in/out of the parking lot and along the road who were not paying attention. Someone else who was charging once said that they'd had similar problems after a heavy rain when the grassy area was too soggy to walk through.

Ah, so you must have been headed to Steak&Shake or some such, rather than one of the outbuildings in the Meijer parking lot. Given
how little snow we had last winter, you must have had really bad luck! ;) By "dangerous" I thought you meant "plagued by ``bad elements''". The area by the parking lot exit nearest the SC site is very congested and, I would think, really unsafe for pedestrians.
Tesla should put a sign at the SC directing people who want to go to Steak&Shake, etc., to walk south through the parking lot to the
other exit which is a much safer/easier place to cross (and avoids walking across the grass as well as walking along the street, for
the most part).

upload_2016-6-14_13-38-35.png

Ack, that down arrow was supposed to be green...

The best so far for me is the Buckeye, Arizona supercharger. It has Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr, a subway sandwich shop, Game Stop, Walmart, Pet Smart, Dunkin Donuts and more. I always return to the car with the car fully charged because there is so much to do.

The worst was the one in Las Vegas, Nevada - it is in a bad location and has 1 strange little eating place that did not interest me.
There is a place called the "Container Park" which is two blocks from the Las Vegas SC. Lots of interesting shops and restaurants as well as a kids playground. (There's a map of the area on the wall next to the SC.)

We actually crossed (to Steak & Shake & Bob's) where you've got 'better' marked. But yeah, I think we hit a bad time with lots of snow and lots of traffic. How often would the grassy area be difficult to cross? I wonder if a sidewalk through there and maybe in front of S&S, WB's, etc would help?

Wow that's almost an exact list of stores I will never go to and food I would never eat!

My lease favorite is St. Augustine, FL it is located in a shopping mall with possibly the world's worst food court.
There are too many good ones to list, mostly ones in shopping malls, close by lots of restaurants and shops.The ones located inside are also favourites in inclement weather. Savannah. GA is good in that respect.