Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a huge fan of the SCs on the CT Turnpike or the Merritt -- often ICEd (the ones on the Merritt even have obnoxious signs that prohibit getting a full charge -- 45 min max), not much to do. Though the Merritt ones are right next to free 50kW Chademo chargers which is kind of nifty, and convenient for topping off if there's another Tesla waiting for the SC spaces.
I don't know about that specific location, but in general the parking time limit signs means a non-Tesla vehicle can park in those charging spots for a limited time. It indicates Tesla doesn't have exclusive use of those spaces. At many 8-stall locations, for example, 4 may be exclusively for a Tesla use and 4 may have "general parking X minutes" signs indicating they are shared spaces.

...El Centro CA is on the third level of a parking structure at a large shopping mall, so the Superchargers are shaded and cool. Hard to find though, unless you know to look inside the structure...
As Bighorn pointed out in another thread, I mixed this one up with Temecula CA So:

Temecula CA is on the third level of a parking structure at a large shopping mall, so the Superchargers are shaded and cool. Hard to find though, unless you know to look inside the structure.

El Centro CA is out in the open desert heat. But the enclosed shopping mall next to it is nice and cool.

[This is why I really wish I could edit posts after they time out in a few minutes!]

I don't know about that specific location, but in general the parking time limit signs means a non-Tesla vehicle can park in those charging spots for a limited time. It indicates Tesla doesn't have exclusive use of those spaces. At many 8-stall locations, for example, 4 may be exclusively for a Tesla use and 4 may have "general parking X minutes" signs indicating they are shared spaces.
That's what's particularly strange about the SCs on the Merritt Parkway. The EV spaces (all of them -- at the SC and at the Chademo units right across the way) are signed "EV Charging - 45 Minutes Max".

These locations are busy, and the gas stations and adjacent buildings were expanded several years ago without additional parking. They have always had an unusual amount of EV/ICE conflict, for an SC location. I think the "45 minutes max" signs went up when additional parking spaces were taken for the newish SAE/Chademo chargers, but my memory of that's a little hazy -- these being my least favorite chargers, though they are relatively local, I don't hit them often.

Hawthorne: Tesla/SpaceX. Lots of Chargers, not easy to find, and you need to snake through a (sometimes security guarded) road. There's no restaurants or or shopping nearby, however. It's neat to go there once just to see, but this one is one that I often skip. 6/10

Actually, there is one restaurant in the Hawthorne Airport building on Crenshaw, 4 min walk from the SC. Very good but pricey food (hamburger & fries $10.50 and up) and when crowded, the noise level is very high.

I also saw a snack bar halfway to the restaurant; nice menu but no prices posted. Turns out that its "customers" swipe their SpaceX employee ID cards to eat there. :)

Charge rate has been very good when I have been there, over 100kW last time.

Some more thoughts on recently visited Supercharger Stations.

Holbrook AZ is located at a Burger King. Sign on the door facing the stalls says that restrooms are for paying customers only. There is a convenience store across the very wide four lane Route 66 but there are no traffic lights or crosswalks and I didn't care to risk crossing.

Oh yeah. Been there, done that. If you ignore the sign, the bathroom doors have combination locks on them just to keep us scum out.

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
What type of app are you using that indicates that there are "free" restroom facilities at a SC location? I'm wondering how Tesla or anyone would know.......

plugshare. Give it a try. It's also useful to use in advance to solve the issue @MSM had at Grant's Pass. I had looked at plugshare, and it saved me missing the turn. It's on a 1-way street, so if you miss it, you have to loop around to try again.

Wanted to relieve you from "Supercharger anxiety". :)

Here in Tokyo we have three SC locations nearby (which doesn't really make sense). Among those Grand Hyatt SC in Roppongi area is the most terrible, possible among all SC worldwide...
1. Only 2 stalls
2. Since it's in valet parking area much less ICEing, but some Tesla owners leave their cars for hours.
3. Parking fee is $12 per hour. If you spend more than $50 in the mall, validation is available.
4. Rather frequently the SC is closed due to hotel events, of course without prior notice.
5. Hotel staff is not polite and they always say "don't do this and that".
6. If both stalls are occupied there's no place to wait. You have to leave.

Personally I don't spend money there :)

Wanted to relieve you from "Supercharger anxiety". :)

Here in Tokyo we have three SC locations nearby (which doesn't really make sense). Among those Grand Hyatt SC in Roppongi area is the most terrible, possible among all SC worldwide...
1. Only 2 stalls
2. Since it's in valet parking area much less ICEing, but some Tesla owners leave their cars for hours.
3. Parking fee is $12 per hour. If you spend more than $50 in the mall, validation is available.
4. Rather frequently the SC is closed due to hotel events, of course without prior notice.
5. Hotel staff is not polite and they always say "don't do this and that".
6. If both stalls are occupied there's no place to wait. You have to leave.

Personally I don't spend money there :)
Wow, that does sound terrible!

Reactions: hiroshiy
The Supercharger in Savannah GA is inside a pay parking deck at an airport....
You do know that Teslas get their ticket validated to be there for free, right? At least it is only $1/hour if you didn't know that.

My lease favorite is St. Augustine, FL it is located in a shopping mall with possibly the world's worst food court.
There are too many good ones to list, mostly ones in shopping malls, close by lots of restaurants and shops.The ones located inside are also favourites in inclement weather. Savannah. GA is good in that respect.
Honestly, I would rate West Palm Beach as worst than St. Augustine. Don't get me wrong - it's great to see the service center and talk to the sales staff, but your options are limited as nothing is in walking distance and if you show up after hours, you can't use the restroom. At St. Augustine, I've been there at midnight and just walked to the gas station to use the facilities.

---

Marathon, Florida Supercharger is at a tiny airport. So tiny, that there are no food options, no tables, (but a bench by the stairs). However, you may be able to get to something on foot if you are willing to walk over a mile.

Gee, I stop there all the time. It's not bad at all. Good restaurant in the hotel, and a McSwineys nearby if you prefer clogging your arteries. Plus a convenience store right across the road. I like the Santee SC just fine. Hey, is that Dueling Banjos I hear in the background?
Have you ever entered the town from the non highway side? There is a mailbox that has human bone remains hanging on it. Like, straight voodoo stuff.

Santee is my least favorite one that I regularly visit. It's my first/last stop, so the hotel is out b/c I ate before I left or I'm sleeping in my own bed in Charlotte. The Wendy's is my usual stop, but I have to get there before 11 p to use the restroom. Having driven in from the non-highway side, I would be on the phone with a good friend the entire time if I ever got a flat. I'm terrified of the town! But, I'm also a minority the grew up in the city, so I may have a biased view of Santee.

Last edited:
Marathon, Florida Supercharger is at a tiny airport. So tiny, that there are no food options, no tables, (but a bench by the stairs). However, you may be able to get to something on foot if you are willing to walk over a mile.

Marathon has some great seafood restaurants but the wait for a table can be quite long. If Supercharging there, I'd suggest calling ahead and ordering takeout and then heading to the Supercharger. I had a great shrimp po boy there earlier this year. :) It would be nice if there were better seating options...

• Helpful
Reactions: Cyclone
Worst-There is a temp location near D.C. in the westfield mall. There are only 2 chargers and during mall hours its terrible.
There was a sign there that the location is closing and moving to a permanent location. Hopefully the new place is better equipped.

The worst is hands down the Bethesda supercharger on the East coast. It was so bad that Tesla quietly removed it from the Supercharger list once Laurel, MD came on line. Check it out (on line). A honorable 2nd worst is the Sumerset PA supercharger. Best one on east coast I've visited Hamilton, NJ. Has everything nearby.