Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feature disappeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At demo during delivery, I was shown that this feature exists. The reason I remember this in the demo is that my kid loves heated seats at the back and was excited that he has it now.

I am told now that I had to cross-verify and presence of a feature is not really a guarantee that the package carries it, and can disappear overtime

A similar thing happened with people who bought the SR trim variant. They were initially given the SR+ features and range, and recently had that taken away via software update.

There was some sort of software glitch that exposed this feature to people who didn't pay for it. It was recently "fixed". There are other threads on here talking about it.

I guess because of the way Tesla is making the car they include all the same components in every car and just turn off the ones you don't pay for. Rather then simply not including them in the first place.[/QUOT
A similar thing happened with people who bought the SR trim variant. They were initially given the SR+ features and range, and recently had that taken away via software update.

Maybe this is the new normal with software updates based systems, but I hope there is some consumer protection down the road. I can imagine this for many purchases with smart TVs, digital assistants (like Echo, Google Assistant, ..) where we buy seeing that some features exist, and then a simple update takes it away and all you get is a "Oops .. Sorry" with a "Pay More for what you originally thought you paid for"

The decent thing to do is to give consumers whatever they buy, and not change it months after its given out

Did anybody in Tesla lead you to believe that you had heated seats in your configuration prior to your purchase? If the answer is no, then you knew you didn't pay for heated seats.

When you saw the heated seats during delivery demo, the decent thing would have been to tell them that you got a feature you didn't pay for. Did you do that?

Did anybody in Tesla lead you to believe that you had heated seats in your configuration prior to your purchase? If the answer is no, then you knew you didn't pay for heated seats.

When you saw the heated seats during delivery demo, the decent thing would have been to tell them that you got a feature you didn't pay for. Did you do that?

The person demoing my car at delivery showed me that my car came with this feature (and others) and I assumed its part of the package. I expected that what i saw was what i was taking home. The demo person was a Tesla guy - he obviously would know better than I do. Whats wrong with that assumption

Just chalk this up to another Tesla rep who doesn’t know anything about the cars they are selling, combined with a buyer who didn’t do his homework before making a purchase decision.

We get at least one of these posts a day on this forum. I’ve said this at least a dozen times now, but I’ll say it again...

VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING A TESLA REP TELLS YOU IS WRONG. NEVER LISTEN TO ANYTHING THEY SAY. COME TO THIS FORUM AND DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE MAKING YOUR PURCHASE DECISION AND ALL WILL BE WELL. DOING ANYTHING ELSE WILL RESULT IN ANOTHER ONE OF THESE POSTS WHERE THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP YOU AND YOU WILL BE REALLY FRUSTRATED.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and VT_EE
I took delivery of a Model 3 few months back. During the demo of the car at delivery, I was shown that the car had heated rear seats. A recent software update made the feature disappear. When I called to ask, I was told that my model should never have had this feature and it was a mistake that has now been fixed with the update and there is absolutely nothing that Tesla can do, unless I pay for a premium package which would include the feature. I cannot help but feel 'bait-and-switched'. Is there any help that consumers like me can get when companies like Tesla do this to us?

Chetan
Did you order a car with heated rear seats? If not, Tesla didn't "do anything" to you. Check your build sheet. If you didn't order it, why should you get it?

yes, this is what they are using now to say that my package should never have had it and it was a misconfiguration.

I am a guy who goes by what he sees in the vehicle he has bought. I am not used to disappearing features. Guess this is the new normal now with software updates. The decent thing for Tesla to do is to create a software package for affected customers like me and send it down with an update. Its not my screw up

it’s just like cable TV. Just because they give you a free month of HBO you didn’t pay for, doesn’t mean they owe it to you.

Reactions: Pkmmte and NoMoGas
The person demoing my car at delivery showed me that my car came with this feature (and others) and I assumed its part of the package. I expected that what i saw was what i was taking home. The demo person was a Tesla guy - he obviously would know better than I do. Whats wrong with that assumption

While I understand that you were explained wrong by Tesla delivery person, they didn't bait and switch you. You bought the car without any misleading information, and the car was delivered to you according to what you were told and paid for.

The mistake was that the delivery guy explained it wrong. Yes, that was a mistake, but that in no way entitles you to getting a feature that didn't pay for and were never misled to have existed prior to purchase.

I don't think you are justified in feeling entitled to have this feature or feeling like Tesla bait and switched you or that Tesla is doing something less than honorable in this situation.

Let it go :) Besides, I believe the non-premium version still has a few features that it wasn't supposed to have.

Reactions: NoMoGas
yes, this is what they are using now to say that my package should never have had it and it was a misconfiguration.

I am a guy who goes by what he sees in the vehicle he has bought. I am not used to disappearing features. Guess this is the new normal now with software updates. The decent thing for Tesla to do is to create a software package for affected customers like me and send it down with an update. Its not my screw up

Jesus I can't believe how entitled some of the Karens are on this forum.

You didn't pay for it. You were given the option to purchase the product when you bought the car. You chose not to.

You're mad because they let you use a feature for free, the same one that other people actually paid for. Your argument is that because you were given a free test drive of a feature, you should continue to get that feature for free.

Reactions: NoMoGas
We are coming down hard on a new buyer here. I agree with the general sentiment that you got what you paid for. But how is it possible that virtually everyone on this forum knew that SR/SR+ cars don’t have rear heated seats, and yet so many Tesla employees who are paid to know this stuff still don’t have a clue?

I mean they don’t just occasionally say things that are incorrect. Virtually everything they say is incorrect. It’s mind boggling how bad the sales leadership at Tesla is.

how is it possible that virtually everyone on this forum knew that SR/SR+ cars don’t have rear heated seats, and yet so many Tesla employees who are paid to know this stuff still don’t have a clue?

I mean they don’t just occasionally say things that are incorrect. Virtually everything they say is incorrect. It’s mind boggling how bad the sales leadership at Tesla is.

Oh I agree with you here. I'd tell ya the nonsense the now former rep told me before I bought one but I literally have an NDA.

We are coming down hard on a new buyer here. I agree with the general sentiment that you got what you paid for. But how is it possible that virtually everyone on this forum knew that SR/SR+ cars don’t have rear heated seats, and yet so many Tesla employees who are paid to know this stuff still don’t have a clue?

If only he read the options when he was clicking the boxes to order what he wants.

Here's the reality. He thought he got away with one. He got something free. Then it vanished. Now he's mad.

The decent thing to do is to give consumers whatever they buy, and not change it months after its given out

but you never buyed it, you got it for free.... i agree with the sentiment that it’s their mistake and you shouldn’t have to pay for it....

afaik you can’t add on premium interior.... but i would be interested in buying if you could, which is why i asked what offer they made you.

Last edited: