Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature request] Supercharger stations should say which direction they are in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radlaw

Charles
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2018
San Diego California
When travelling to a new location and activating Tesla supercharger locations, I get a list of available stations with the miles away and how many available stations, which is nice. However, I don't know whether the stations are in the direction I'm going or if they're where I just came from or near or far off the highway I'm on. I just know how far away they are. It would be nice to know that the closest ones are not where I just came from or there is a satisfactory one in direction I'm going and not miles off the highway. I realize I cold spend time and figure it all out, however if the maps told me it would be more convenient.

Just so you’re aware, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) is not affiliated with Tesla, Inc. in any way. So a “feature request” such as this may or may not be seen by someone in a position to actually do what you’re asking.

Bruce.

When travelling to a new location and activating Tesla supercharger locations, I get a list of available stations with the miles away and how many available stations, which is nice. However, I don't know whether the stations are in the direction I'm going or if they're where I just came from or near or far off the highway I'm on. I just know how far away they are. It would be nice to know that the closest ones are not where I just came from or there is a satisfactory one in direction I'm going and not miles off the highway. I realize I cold spend time and figure it all out, however if the maps told me it would be more convenient.
You can’t tell from zooming in on the nav screen?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Just so you’re aware, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) is not affiliated with Tesla, Inc. in any way. So a “feature request” such as this may or may not be seen by someone in a position to actually do what you’re asking.

Bruce.
I realize they are not affiliated. I was just wondering if someone on this forum had a solution or had the same experiences.

Reactions: bmah
I thought you can see them on the navigation map so you should be able to tell where they are relative to your position and where you are heading.

I thought you can see them on the navigation map so you should be able to tell where they are relative to your position and where you are heading.
True; but it is distracting to have to go over to the map and manually figure out in which direction the charge station is. If it takes too long, you get a message saying you are distracted. It should be automatic.

Yes, I agree that it is annoying. It is even more annoying that the distance is measured as the crow flies. Where I live, the Mammoth Lakes and Bishop Superchargers are listed as being <100 miles away, even though there is a gigantic rock in the way.

That said, now you know that the Superchargers are listed in increased radii from your current location, regardless of direction. You are traveling north, and many of them are behind you or to the east or west.

My suggestion until Tesla comes up with a better way of selecting your Superchargers is to plot out your drive in advance of departure. Record your preferred stops along the way. Be fluid in your choices, since some might be quite busy, while others might not have amenities that you prefer. Keep this list with you. you can preselect those Superchargers and navigate to them while at home so that they appear on your navigation screen for easier access.

Once you are under way, you can dial into your stop. While charging, but before departing, dial into your next stop(s). It might be a little cumbersome at first, but soon you should get the hang of it.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it might be of some utility to you (if you haven't already) to use old-fashioned paper maps to see the route you wish to take to your destination. (I am almost 70, so paper maps are no big deal, and they offer a much broader perspective than maps on a computer screen.) Transcribe your preferred route to the navigation screen and the Superchargers en route. Personally, I sometimes like to take alternate highways and roads instead of the forced route that the navigation determines (although a recent update sometimes allows for a choice.)

I see you're in San Diego. For example, if you are going to Flagstaff, you have a choice to head east on 8 to Gila Bend, then to Phoenix and 17 or to head north on 15 either to Barstow and 40 or to Riverside then east on 60 to 10 and take a back door to Needles via 177/62/95, or even up 62 from Palm Springs to some unsigned back roads to 40 about 80 miles west of Needles. Then you can scout out where to charge and perhaps for how long. They'll already be on your navigation screen, and you can forget about all the red herrings that are presented when you hit the charge button.

TL/DR: I don't trust a computer program to make my personal decisions if I have the gray matter to do it for myself. :)

Reactions: StealthP3D
My suggestion until Tesla comes up with a better way of selecting your Superchargers is to plot out your drive in advance of departure. Record your preferred stops along the way. Be fluid in your choices, since some might be quite busy, while others might not have amenities that you prefer. Keep this list with you. you can preselect those Superchargers and navigate to them while at home so that they appear on your navigation screen for easier access.

Once you are under way, you can dial into your stop. While charging, but before departing, dial into your next stop(s). It might be a little cumbersome at first, but soon you should get the hang of it.

This is what I do. A little homework (and it's not a lot) before launching at the start of the trip (or start of a day) can really pay off in terms of fewer surprises, ability to adapt in case of unexpected situations, and just overall better experience because you have some idea what to expect around each potential stop.

Bruce.

The easiest way is to start on the map screen, making sure the superchargers are all displayed around you. Then, just touch and hold your finger on the Supercharger you want to go to, and you should be able to select the option to navigate to it.

Yeah, picking from a list may not be the most visually helpful. I touch the icon to make them visible on the map, and then I just move the map around to see where they are to pick one or two to see what the driving time/distance will be to decide what I want. I know what direction I'm going.