Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Feature Request] Turn off Auto-Dimming Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fairly certain the the auto-dimming mirrors in my M3 are strictly time-based. At sundown they go to maximum tint. Driving at dusk I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are not tinted at all, even though I have someone behind me with bright headlights. And, in full darkness with no one behind me, I'm often annoyed that the mirrors are at full tint and I can't see anything behind.

I would very much like the mirror tint to adjust based on headlights behind me, and I would like a manual control to let me enable/disable and vary the tint level.

On the same subject, this is the only car I've had with auto-dimming mirrors that has a 1/8-1/4" non-tinted "frame" around the tinted mirror area. Very annoying.

I think it's a similar situation to the auto wipers, there's no rear-facing light sensor that auto-dimming mirrors normally have, and I guess they're trying to use the cameras to perform the same function... Or haven't implemented it yet?

So what you are saying is that the manual should read, "we aspire for the lights to dim automatically...."
What I'm saying is that the manual should state how the feature actually works at present, not how they plan/aspire/desire it to work ultimately.

Another example of this is the following statement in the manual regarding the control settings for the touchscreen display (emphasis mine):
Manually control the brightness and the DAY (light background) or NIGHT (dark background) setting of the touchscreen. When set to AUTO, the brightness changes automatically between day and night brightness based on ambient lighting conditions.
That's not the actual behavior. When in AUTO, the screen background switches from DAY to NIGHT mode (and vice versa) based on time of day, not on ambient lighting. You can test this by parking your car in your darkened garage during daylight hours and the display will remain in DAY mode (white background). Go back to your garage at night and turn on all the garage lights and the display will remain in NIGHT mode (black background).

Sure, the auto switching of display background (as described in manual) may be their ultimate goal, but that's not how it behaves at present. Likewise with the auto-dimming mirrors. In either case, the manual shouldn't make claims to having features that aren't implemented (yet).

Now, the difference is that the control settings for the touchscreen provide me with the option to manually switch between DAY and NIGHT in addition to AUTO. Likewise with the auto windshield wipers and auto high beams. I don't have a manual override option with the auto-dimming mirrors.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodguyatl
What I'm saying is that the manual should state how the feature actually works at present, not how they plan/aspire/desire it to work ultimately.

Another example of this is the following statement in the manual regarding the control settings for the touchscreen display (emphasis mine):

That's not the actual behavior. When in AUTO, the screen background switches from DAY to NIGHT mode (and vice versa) based on time of day, not on ambient lighting. You can test this by parking your car in your darkened garage during daylight hours and the display will remain in DAY mode (white background). Go back to your garage at night and turn on all the garage lights and the display will remain in NIGHT mode (black background).

Sure, the auto switching of display background (as described in manual) may be their ultimate goal, but that's not how it behaves at present. Likewise with the auto-dimming mirrors. In either case, the manual shouldn't make claims to having features that aren't implemented (yet).

Now, the difference is that the control settings for the touchscreen provide me with the option to manually switch between DAY and NIGHT in addition to AUTO. Likewise with the auto windshield wipers and auto high beams. I don't have a manual override option with the auto-dimming mirrors.

Thank you, this is exactly my point. The car does not adjust the auto-dimming mirrors in response to any exterior behavior. Its either on or off (probably based on time) and thats it.

I do not experience this behavior at all in my car. My screen does not switch from day/night mode at the same time every day and I observe different behavior from mirror tinting EVERY DAY on my commute to and from work. The mirrors in particular will tint and untint over the course of my drive to/from work as there is glare from cars behind me.

Perhaps time is a factor in their algorithm (i.e. only read those sensors to allow changes during certain times), but it is definitely not a set scheduled base action for both the mirrors and the screen.

Reactions: outdoors
When I said the manual should read, "we aspire for the lights to dim automatically...." it was a weak attempt to be funny. Maybe that didn't work.o_O

Seems most of us agree there is improvement needed but it's frustrating when you talk to one of Tesla's 'master technicians' and told that it's normal for the mirrors to be either full dark or zero tint but nothing in between. Hopefully, it get's fixed in a software update.

I agree with this post. At night, I can’t see anything but headlights in my mirrors and it’s pretty terrible. When I’m sitting at a stop sign or traffic light I can’t see if theres a car next to me or behind me. Makes me fearful to change lanes. Bad enough the mirrors are tiny, but they’re dark as hell too. Being able to disable auto dim at night would be great. For the record, I have zero tint and perfect vision.

For reference guys, I feel like this is a supplier problem with the auto-tinting mirrors because I had the EXACT same issue with my wife's 2017 Mercedes C300. I felt like Tesla literally used the same supplier here. Zero tint on her car.

My mirrors work seamlessly. I didn't even recognize they were operating until I saw the thin undimmed edge. The manual has been already quoted. Both mirrors dim proportionately to rear headlight glare in lower light levels. They are not on or off or controlled by a timer. I have never seen a manually controllable dimming rear view mirror. When you tint your side windows it screws up the plan for what the system wants to show you. The inside rear view mirror will see what you see.

Reactions: outdoors and JeffK
My mirrors work seamlessly. I didn't even recognize they were operating until I saw the thin undimmed edge. The manual has been already quoted. Both mirrors dim proportionately to rear headlight glare in lower light levels. They are not on or off or controlled by a timer. I have never seen a manually controllable dimming rear view mirror. When you tint your side windows it screws up the plan for what the system wants to show you. The inside rear view mirror will see what you see.

So for those of us who always have full dark either on or off there must be a hardware issue.

So for those of us who always have full dark either on or off there must be a hardware issue.

As far as I can tell, there is no dedicated rear-facing sensor to control the dimming. So, the car must be using (or be intended to eventually to use) the rear camera. If your rear camera works when you put the car into reverse, that seems to eliminate a hardware issue. Seems like software to me. Not sure why it works properly for some people, and is time-based for most of us.

I get that Tesla was trying to save money by using the forward camera(s) for auto-wiper control and the rear camera for mirror dimming control. But, neither seems to work well, and proper rain & light sensors wouldn't have added that much cost.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Out of curiosity, for those whose auto-dimming mirrors work as stated in the manual (adaptive, based on amount of glare), does your touchscreen's background color (black or white) also change automatically based on the amount of ambient light, regardless of the time-of-day? During daylight hours, if you leave the lights off in your garage (and block the light coming through any garage windows), does the touchscreen show a black background or a white background? Conversely, during nighttime hours, if you turn on all the lights in your garage, does the touchscreen show a white background or a black background?

And for those whose auto-dimming mirrors are binary (on or off only, based on time-of-day), does your touchscreen background color change based solely on time-of-day or does it also change based on the amount of ambient light? Perform the same garage test as above.

The auto-dimming mirrors and the touchscreen background are both supposed to react automatically to external lighting conditions, per the manual. For me, both of these flip based solely on time-of-day and not to external light. I want to see if there's a correlation between these two automatic functions either working or not working for various owners.

Last edited:
VIN in the 20k's and both night mode of the screen and dimming is definitely based on time (sunset). Easy test is to sit in a garage during sunset and see if the screen turns to dark mode and the mirrors dim. Try that with a well lit garage during sunset and a dark garage during the day.

I agree the night and day modes of the screen are probably timed. The screen also has an automatic intensity toogle in addition. I think the mirror dimming is probably completely automatic. It would have to work in a large daytime thunderstorm where it could get very dark. The owners manual says the dimming is proportional to headlight glare of following vehicles in low light levels. It may operate from the rear camera. Cover the camera at night to see if it still works.

I was driving my wife MB today and noticed that the mirrors there properly adjusted to the light shining behind it. On my M3 (AWD VIN 118XXX) the mirrors tint to full darkness at night (even if there are no cars behind me).

Has anyone tried to contact support about this? Could it be a SW bug or a hardware issue?

You are misinterpreting the manual. The auto brightness is the level of backlight, not the black or white background. The auto brightness should adjust based on ambient lighting like any phone.

I have no clue if my mirrors dim on a schedule or based on ambient light conditions.

With that being said, they seem to work great. This is my first car with auto dimming side mirrors. In the past I always had to hold my hand up or move my head to avoid glaring lights.

Perhaps I just don’t drive at night much and maybe I don’t pay enough attention...

My car is totally stock (no tinting).

The windshield wipers on the other hand are a disaster...

(I wonder if perhaps the various experiences folks are having might be related to different revisions of the part, or some kind of malfunction - though anyone who has tinted I would cause all bets to be off)