Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Lexus, and other Toyotas, the stalk for cruise control is low on the right side of the steering wheel. It is by far the best location and function I have ever used. The steering wheel buttons on my Infiniti, which I've had for 18 months, are never comfortable or easy to use.

After seeing some better interior photos, I think there are few other adjustments that TM could make other than the flat front seats. I say that TM should bring back the drive buttons back like in the concept. Move the front cup holders to the hopefully redesigned center console like in the concept but keep the sliding front arm rests. I think that a rear fold down arm rest with cup holder could be nice. I think that TM could add a rear outlet for cell phone charging just below the rear AC vents. I hope that TM add some hand grabs. Last thing...add a key holder for that awesome key.

Last edited:
If this thread is still about Model S Beta feedback (we do diverge a little), then I've got another comment about the dash. I'm not liking the touchscreen oriented toward the driver. Seem like it would make sense, but the driver should be driving. When my wife and I go somewhere, I drive and she sets the GPS. Given that the Model S will have Google Maps, Internet browsing, music, apps, and what have you, I think the screen should be just as accessible to the passenger as the driver. In fact, I expect that most couples will find that the passenger will be the primary user. That certainly will be the case with us.

Besides, it just looks off kilter.

How about some way to adjust it from say +15 degrees to -15 degrees (driver to passenger) you could use a side-view mirror motor and let the key tell you where to position it.

I had been thinking about this, but I think the drivers of course needs to access it as well (if only to operate the sunroof, adjust temperature, and things like that), and that means a) it needs to be in a predictable position, and b) that position needs to be a bit towards the driver. If anything, it might have two positions, if it is easy for the driver to turn it over, but it should never be all over the place in some unpredictable in-between position. But I'm not sure if even that is a good idea, perhaps better always towards the driver in a fixed position.

I had been thinking about this, but I think the drivers of course needs to access it as well (if only to operate the sunroof, adjust temperature, and things like that), and that means a) it needs to be in a predictable position, and b) that position needs to be a bit towards the driver. If anything, it might have two positions, if it is easy for the driver to turn it over, but it should never be all over the place in some unpredictable in-between position. But I'm not sure if even that is a good idea, perhaps better always towards the driver in a fixed position.
I agree that it should not move around. But my point is (still) that when there are two people in a car, the passenger is often the one fooling with the music, locating restaurants on the nav system, and so on. When you add the functions that Tesla will add plus as yet unknown functions of third-party apps, the passenger will likely be the primary user.

I don't think orienting it toward the driver enhances safety. I have no problem with my current nav system facing the back seat. I would have a problem if my wife needed to lean into my driving space to look up the location of the nearest Potbelly's. Expand the screen to 17 inches and add Internet restaurant reviews, and it becomes a real issue.

I've accidentally flashed a few drivers when I flashed the high beams when I meant to resume or turn off the cruise control....

Speaking of which, I would like the Model S has a muted pedestrian horn. Pulling the turn signal stalk flashes the brights and gives a quiet *bmmp* for parking lot safe navigation. All silent EVs need this

I don't think orienting it toward the driver enhances safety. I have no problem with my current nav system facing the back seat. I would have a problem if my wife needed to lean into my driving space to look up the location of the nearest Potbelly's. Expand the screen to 17 inches and add Internet restaurant reviews, and it becomes a real issue.

Maybe someone who rode shotgun at the ride event could weigh in on how visible and (in theory at least) accessible the screen was from the passenger seat?

This photo was taken from the passenger seat, but I'm not sure how well it represents the actual impression. I do remember having no difficulty reading the screen, though. It's a bit difficult to imagine how it would look different if the screen was straight. Seeing this, I'm also wondering whether it wouldn't be quite distracting for the driver if the co-pilot was web browsing for longer times, since the screen is so close to the steering wheel (which it has to be).

Photos from Sunday, October 2, 2011 (Model S event)
attachment.php?attachmentid=3026.jpg

Speaking of which, I would like the Model S has a muted pedestrian horn. Pulling the turn signal stalk flashes the brights and gives a quiet *bmmp* for parking lot safe navigation. All silent EVs need this
And all cars in general should have this. Could have used it many times in the grocery store parking lot in various ICE vehicles.

if the co-pilot was web browsing for longer times, since the screen is so close to the steering wheel (which it has to be).

They could dse an iPad or phone -- car has wifi hotspot capabilities no?

Decor Suggestion: It would be nice to see brushed aluminium as one of the choices right along with Lacewood, Piano Black and Banana Leaf since aluminium is incorporated into the design of the S.

Agreed. I always felt Black leather with brushed aluminum accents looked nice.