Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feedback and suggestions regarding the Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is enough of a safety feature, and generally useful to everyone that I hope they just make it standard.
One reason why it is an option on some cars is that they need to add a screen up front, but if all Model S have an LCD screen already...

I agree. For a car the size of the Model S, it's practically a necessity. I've 'abused' my TL's rear often enough to know better!

Last edited:
ventilated seats can be made very energy saving if done right. It only needs to be two extra ducts connected to the front seats. A small fan in the seats to blow what ever temp out that the hvac is set to. Some manufacturers do this (like Lincoln). I know there will be a weight gain, but the pay off is that poeple will use the hvac less because the air comes directly in contact with their skin vs changing the air temp.

The other way that ventilated seats are made is just like tesla said and that requires extra hvac systems.

The sport seats or the seats in general could have adjustable side bolsters like the infiniti G sedans have so each individual can set how much "hugging" of the seat they need.

I'm not to thrilled about the stalk shifter, but I'm not too bothered by it either. The one thing I love about the roadster is the push button gear selector.

First off, thanks GG for going through the trouble and for reporting back so extensively.

- Confirmed that the door handles open very quickly upon approach and will not retract given any obstruction in there. They'll stay open till the car is either driven or is locked (required by law apparently). Beta 1's door handles weren't fully ready (they were plastic rather than metal and were subject to failure with repeated use). The door handles can always be opened manually by pressing in on them.

Sounds reasonable. I'll quit my harping on this.

- "Noise generator" will automatically be activated (mandated by federal law starting next year apparently) at low speeds.

That's too bad, kind of loses its electric silence coolness, but safety first I guess. I'm sure there is a good way to do this.

I think it all sounds great. Interior is something that they can (and likely will) be working on up until the last minute before production.

- Rear-view camera would be there (possibly as an option); will forward request to make the display available both on the touchscreen as well as the driver's LCD screen.

I won't buy another car without a rear-view camera. I had to add one to my Roadster 2.0, and that involved machining a custom camera mount for it. I expect the Model S to include this. Preferably with virtual guide lines that turn with the steering wheel. My Infiniti G37 does that and it's really nice. You can instantly see if you're going to clear things (assuming level pavement of course).

As a general comment, I think the electronics and touchscreen on the G37 are beautifully done. If Model S is going to be state-of-the art, they will have to outdo Infiniti. (Oh, and it has adaptive cruise...)

Just like how Nissan didn't have any noisemaker on their demo test drive roadshow LEAFs, it doesn't appear that Tesla will preview their noisemaker on the betas.
I guess we will find out what sound they picked when cars start getting to customers... ( Or maybe in beta2 ? )

Thank you GG for doing this!

""Noise generator" will automatically be activated (mandated by federal law starting next year apparently) at low speeds."

Will this be user selectable (like a ringtone)? Because I want mine to sound like the Jetson's car!

Thanks gg for taking the time to ask, and report back. I'm actually really disappointed in a lot of those decisions, but some, I can live with.

* Disappointed that it sounds like the dash won't see much change. I think the "beta feedback" thread should be proof enough that many did not like it. If not, they can also see the comments on the interior pictures posted to their FB page.
* Rear-view should be standard. Especially since the screen is already there and there was talk of requiring them by 2014.
* Noise Generator. *sigh*. I suspect there will be a healthy hacker/modder community once this car launches. As some of us discussed at the event, I'm going to have the "Imperial March" as my tone (I think Cinergi said he'd have Vader's breathing :tongue:)
* As others stated: if we get the sport option, we expect sport seats. I can live without adjustable headrests.
* I'm not fussed over it, but if regen configuration is available in the car, then I'm sure once people get to tinkering in the system, someone will bring the option back.
* REALLY sad about the stalk shifter.I keep picturing old station wagons :crying:
* Ventilated seats would be cool, but I suspect they'll make it to future builds and may be able to be retrofitted given some ingenuity and elbow grease.

Thanks again for getting behind the lines GG

The noise generators are not actually required until either 2013 or 2014. They all need to make the same noise and are not allowed to be user adjustable. The government asked for comments to the rules but said these details were not negotiable. I was hoping that Tesla would wait to implement until the noise was actually mandated rather than with the first ones.

I hope the seats are comfortable. I would hate to customize them.

This is enough of a safety feature, and generally useful to everyone that I hope they just make it standard.
One reason why it is an option on some cars is that they need to add a screen up front, but if all Model S have an LCD screen already...

G... thanks for going the extra mile. I understand why the rear camera may come as an option but its cheap enough to make it a standard feature. I found this picture on the web for a camera that is less than $30.00.
41VcZkt%2B7vL._SS400_.jpg

- PRND WILL continue to be the steering stalk way which requires simple push up / push down / press-in actions. The result is shown in the driver's LCD screen. NO PRND buttons/stick in the center console.
This means that Tesla has already sourced the part from Mercedes Benz USA or its part supplier.

- Will forward feedback regarding greater bolstering of the seats on the sides but, Tesla's trying to strike a balance between slalom runners and folks who might have trouble with bucket seats in general. Seats are still being finalized.
If TM is not sure of which direction to go with the seating then I say go with what was introduced in the Model S concept. I saw very little complaints on those seats.

- Adjustable head rests are not on the table as of now.
This link may explain why TM is not going with Front adjustable headrests. iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_restraint_info

Last edited:
First I'd like to say a big "Thank you" to GG for providing all this info!

- Rear-view camera would be there (possibly as an option); will forward request to make the display available both on the touchscreen as well as the driver's LCD screen.

- Blind Spot monitoring would be there (not sure if an option). Adaptive cruise control may not make it (even as an option).

- "Noise generator" will automatically be activated (mandated by federal law starting next year apparently) at low speeds.

This may sound weird but I'd like to see a front-view camera as well (at least as an option) with a good view of the passenger side (sorry, I know that is a bit subjective). The lack of adaptive cruise control isn't a deal breaker but I'll be very sad if it isn't an option. Adaptive cruise control is an option on the BMW 5-series and 7-series vehicles and both the Audi A6 and A7.

The noise generators are not actually required until either 2013 or 2014.

That's interesting...I hope Tesla re-considers putting it in the first year of Model S then.

Last edited:
Noise generators must the dumbest idea anyone ever came up with:

1) Blind people use crossings.
2) Pedestrian crossings around here beep away, how's the car generator going to sound different? (A human voice shouting "Watch Out!"....?)
3) Our main street is 15mph, so 99% of the ICE cars are almost silent. Is my Model S going to be louder than the ICE's??
4) We actually have a local ordnance where your car can get impounded if you're playing in-car music that can be heard 25 feet away. (Yes, that's right 25'. It's been challenged in State court right now but nevertheless...) How far away does the "noise generator" have to be heard?
5) Back to Main Street, what's our peaceful, idyllic downtown area going to sound like in a few years when it's populated with slow moving EV's?
6) How slow is "slow speed"? In my driveway? When the car is stationary but drive is engaged. At every stop sign or junction?
7) Is it gonna "beep" or make whatever noise at the drive-thru, the bank window, toll booths?
8) Is the assumption that drivers won't stop for pedestrians in slow speed areas?
9) Is it going to generate noise every time I'm parking?
10) How about those areas populated with speed humps that force everyone to drive slow? Shopping malls, residential areas, plenty of gated communities here in Florida.
11) How about in slow moving traffic? In jams?
12) We have 15mph speeds zones around schools. Are all the EV's going to start "beeping" there?

ICE's are VERY quiet when moving at slow speed, in many areas almost silent. To anyone with a half ounce of common sense it should be almost unimaginable that "noise generators" would be mandated to make EV's louder than ICE's!

Oh man, I think I could write a whole thread on how dumb this is....

Last edited:
Oh man, I think I could write a whole thread on how dumb this is....

Lucky for you, your fellow TMC members have taken care of this for you!

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/1082-Auto-minimum-sound-level

This is a classic case of a solution in search of a problem. To my knowledge, there have never been any fatalities because a blind person didn't hear an EV car and got run over, yet the US government, with all of its problems, took on this "important" issue in a bipartisan way to ruin the nice quiet ride of all EVs.

The noise generators are not actually required until either 2013 or 2014. They all need to make the same noise and are not allowed to be user adjustable. The government asked for comments to the rules but said these details were not negotiable.

This sounds horrible! I sure hope that a bureaucrat in D.C. is not picking the noise for all EV cars in the United States! What if he/she picks the back up noise for a garbage truck? This bureaucrat could single-handedly kill the EV industry if the sound all EVs have to emit is annoying enough.