Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Feeling misinformed on my CPO order (substantive previous damage) -- what should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was sold a CPO 60 kW unit. then i later learned it was a 40kW model upgraded.

All 40 kWh cars were originally built as 60 kWh cars with a software limitation. I would not consider that the previous owner of the car only had 40 kWh accessible to have any bearing as long as when Tesla sold the car to you, they removed the software restriction, unlocked DC charging, and enabled Supercharging (all three of which I believe were locked down on the 40s and original owner of the 60s unless people paid for unlocking).

I was sold a CPO 60 kW unit. then i later learned it was a 40kW model upgraded.
So you were sold a 60kW vehicle, what difference does it make that it used to be software locked to 40kW?? It will have been an early enough VIN that there was no chance of confusion over whether it could be software upgraded to 75kW. So what's the problem, you got exactly what you paid for - a 60kW battery.

Tesla has weird deposit refund policies. I put a $2,500 deposit on a heavily discounted new 2015 inventory vehicle in November. A week later Tesla cancelled the order because the vehicle was heavily damaged (and repaired and put into the loaner fleet) and was never supposed to be listed for sale.

They offered me a few other options, but none fit my requirements or they had little to no discount. Two months later I asked if they were going to find me another vehicle or refund me (as they had stopped sending me alternative options). Their response was they would look into if they can issue a refund. Then went dark again. It's a very strange way of handling consumer's money.

Same. Looked for it as it's always interesting to see how to politely leverage the accessibility of senior people, but came up blank, could not find anything.

I've since deleted the tweet, as the issue was resolved, in addition to the fact I did not want to give off the wrong impression to my followers in that it was at all the Service Advisor's fault. This is what it said, with the picture of the damage screenshot attached:

"Feeling frustrated that @TeslaMotors would list/sell a car with this many issues & not tell me until AFTER I paid my $1k deposit @elonmusk"

In speaking with both the national and regional managers, I also made it very clear that neither the Service Advisor or CPO advisor were to blame in any regard, and they both did exactly what I would have expected them to do (be transparent and report the truth as soon as possible).

While some people on here have criticized this method of escalation, in the end, it CERTAINLY proved to be highly effective in resolving the issue without harming anyone in the process.

I was fortunate enough to come across another CPO that met my exact qualifications, and my deposit has since been transferred to that vehicle without any hassle. I could not be more pleased with the customer service that I've received over the past couple of days. Finally looking forward to delivery again ;)

That's actually a bonus for you! It meant the battery was always kept with a much larger anti-bricking safety buffer than the same car originally sold as a 60. Therefore your battery was likely in a slightly better condition than comparable formerly Model 60ies.

So you know that the previous owner didn't 100% charger it ever. Nice!

Plus never supercharged which is even better for the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
I was fortunate enough to come across another CPO that met my exact qualifications, and my deposit has since been transferred to that vehicle without any hassle. I could not be more pleased with the customer service that I've received over the past couple of days. Finally looking forward to delivery again ;)
Hope you enjoy it as much as we're enjoying CPO.

I had a great CPO experience on a nearly new 2016; but, I have to agree that the process of certifying the car after taking a deposit on it is backwards. It slows down delivery time and results in disappointed customers.

You expect that cars with issues like this would go to auction and end up at the sleeze bag dealers; not end up as a CPO car.

In the end it saves no time to do the inspection after selling the car. They should inspect and take care of issues before listing, then the buyer never knows about and minor issues and gets a clean car quickly. It isn't that hard to do. Every car dealer in the US does used cars this way and they make plenty of money doing it.

If they don't want to invest the money to fix the car because the issues are too severe it should go to auction.

I think the underlying issue here is a lack of service capacity. This really needs to be addressed ASAP because with model 3 coming soon it is going to become a major issue.

The last thing they need is to give the dealer lobby an excuse to support the old "Stealership" model.

Reactions: evluxury
Oh and more power to the OP on getting it done on twitter... sometimes you have to be the squeaky wheel.

The OP didn't get anything done on Twitter that wasn't going to happen anyway. Tesla was never going to keep his $1000 deposit, in spite of the fact that someone said they had to check about getting it back to him. That just wasn't going to happen.

And he wound up finding another car to apply the deposit to, which was what Tesla had been offering all along.

Thank you for your quick response. Is that the same as the young, hot, leggy, busty brunette in boots, yoga pants and tight but tasteful dark top who conducted my test drive - the soi-disant “Owner Advisor”?

Very new to all this. Just put a deposit down on a Model 3 but am naturally, obsessively contemplating a CPO Model S.

Not the same, to the best of my knowledge.

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman