Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
at that price its almost worth it to just buy them used, rip out the battery and scrap the rest of the car. surprised the ev conversion market is not picking these up for cheap.

You're right, that might start to happen considering the electric part is the solid thing on these Italian/American cars made in Mexico :D Also, I hope there will be a lot of tweaking, hacking, etc with these cars at these prices. I hope...

I would advise against it. We noticed poor wet weather handling with ours. When we swapped out the tires, it helped some, but still didn't handle freeway driving well on rain soaked asphalt. Our replacement Leaf handles the wind and rain much better. For cold temps, it did average if you blast the heat in below freezing temps. Keep the temp set to the high 60s and use the seat heaters and it's not too bad. We never drove it in snow though, so I can't provide feedback there. I would imaging with the front wheel drive and good snow tires it should be fine.

Also, being a compliance car, the local dealership may not be willing to do any work on it. So if you do decide to go forward, make sure you can verify there's a shop nearby that will service it.

Reactions: cwerdna
so i emailed evwest, an ev conversion company out of san diego about the 500e. they are currently selling a vast supply of tesla batteries from the smartev. mentioned how the 500e prices are dropping fast and asked if he knew anyone reverse engineering the control box or motor. he mentioned they have sold some to a few people but they dont have it unlocked yet.

Bump...

Anyone leasing one of these tried to negotiate a better deal on the residual on lease return?

@Mrs Rubbertoe has one coming due in March with a $19,000 residual. Since she can buy one from the Anaheim guys for say $8,000, maybe the dealer would sell it to her for close to that versus whatever they end up doing with it?

Not sure who really ends up taking the loss on these kinds of situations.

RT

Bump...

Anyone leasing one of these tried to negotiate a better deal on the residual on lease return?

@Mrs Rubbertoe has one coming due in March with a $19,000 residual. Since she can buy one from the Anaheim guys for say $8,000, maybe the dealer would sell it to her for close to that versus whatever they end up doing with it?

Not sure who really ends up taking the loss on these kinds of situations.

RT
Generally, when you return a lease, it goes to auction and the leasing company gets the proceeds from that auction. So, in the case of these EVs that have promotional leases to hit certain monthly payment targets, the carmaker's captive finance operation takes the hit and passes the loss to the automaker's consolidated financial statement after offsetting any profits from leasing conventional vehicles.

Toyota has a hard and fast policy that they do not negotiate residuals, so a number of RAV4 EV owners are buying cars on the used market and returning theirs due to the thousands of dollars gap between the used market and their residual. I don't know what FCA's policy is on residuals, but that gap between the used market and the residual is massive and definitely plays into the "we lose X thousands of dollars per car" narrative.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
@Mrs Rubbertoe has a 60 mile daily commute, and actually likes the car. It's basically free at $98 per month. If I end up getting a loaded Model 3, she may just lease a new 500e as a commuter car for another 3 years. That makes more sense than buying a used one for $8,000 and risking problems. We switch cars to keep the miles under the lease limit since I have a much shorter commute.

Another possibility is she gets the $35,000 Model 3 to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit, since if she leased another 500e she would never get a $7,500 discount on a Tesla due to them hitting the 200,000 next year.

It's hard to pass up $99 monthly with no money down, especially when she gets to drive a loaded Model 3 if she can wrestle the keys away from me. :cool:

The next Powerball drawing could make the decision much simpler... :D

RT

Last edited:
Are those deals still around? I checked out the 500e for this reason back when i was in the market, but it didn't seem available at the dealer I went to back in December of 2014.

@Mrs Rubbertoe just checked on this over the weekend. Only catch seems to be that they take the $2,500 State rebate (you end up putting $7,500 down) then get the State rebate. You also need to have a current lease with another company to save $1,000. I'll find out which specific dealer had the $99 and let everyone know.

RT