Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the way the Fiat 500E looks. There are a lot of them in my town. But for me, life is too precious to put myself or my family in this car. I think the Chevy Spark and Nissan Leaf did much better in this test. [My underline.]

2013 Chevrolet Spark 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

Overall evaluation: Acceptable

2014 Nissan Leaf 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

Overall evaluation: Poor

2014 Ford Focus 4-door 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

...and available as an EV...

Though granted, I’m not sure about which US states…

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about:

2015 Volkswagen GTI small overlap 40 mph IIHS crash test

Overall evaluation: Good

...also available as an EV. Though again not sure about in which states...

Last edited by a moderator:

2013 Chevrolet Spark 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

2014 Nissan Leaf 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

Overall evaluation: Poor

2014 Ford Focus 4-door 40 mph small overlap IIHS crash test

...and available as an EV...

Though granted, I’m not sure about which US states…

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about:

2015 Volkswagen GTI small overlap 40 mph IIHS crash test

Overall evaluation: Good

...also available as an EV. Though again not sure about in which states...

Ouch, none of those look safe. I guess I'll just have to get my wife a Model S. I've had one wife die on me already, never doing that again if I can help it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Little cars have never had much a chance against big vehicles or stationary objects.
Hopefully their light weight and nibble nature provides an opportunity for collision avoidance.
For extreme safety one could drive a tank ( or closest road legal Hummer )

I love my wife's FIAT EV. ( although I do love her much more of course :rolleyes:).
I'd like to think the FIAT can dodge a bullet and stay out of harms way .(vs taking a hit and trying to survive )

Trust you me, pull out the pdf from Euroncap on the Golf, I have had 2 for a reason with a growing family:

http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.net/media/6420/euroncap_vw_golf_2012_5stars.pdf

None of the court order coverups you'll find on NHTSA, look at the zones of impact.

Thank you, those are excellent test results and very detailed on the Golf. At this time my son has a Jetta diesel, my wife a Prius :(. I've test driven an E-Golf and I really liked it. I am hoping for a little bit more range from VW, hopefully soon, otherwise I have been watching used Model S's.

Little cars have never had much a chance against big vehicles or stationary objects.
Hopefully their light weight and nibble nature provides an opportunity for collision avoidance.

I love my wife's FIAT EV. ( although I do love her much more of course :rolleyes:).
I'd like to think the FIAT can dodge a bullet and stay out of harms way .(vs taking a hit and trying to survive )

I don't know how often this king of thing really happens but there is some level of truth to this. My second car is a MG Midget that's a track day sleeper (it looks nearly stock from the outside but has all sorts of uprated suspension bits and wide sticky Toyo tires) and I was driving it about 50 mph when a car pulled out of a driveway without looking. No car on earth could have stopped fast enough to not hit him, but I was barely able to swerve around the side without touching him or going off road. Anything bigger than a Fiesta would have been in a wreck there.

Actually, no. I'd much rather sit in a Model S (or even e-Golf) during an accident than in a tank, let alone a Hummer. One might think that these are safe because they are huge and seem indestructible, but the forces that are applied to the human body if such a thing crashes are often deadly. Let alone the fact that no tank I know of has airbags or other passive safety devices.

Actually, no. I'd much rather sit in a Model S (or even e-Golf) during an accident than in a tank, let alone a Hummer. One might think that these are safe because they are huge and seem indestructible, but the forces that are applied to the human body if such a thing crashes are often deadly. Let alone the fact that no tank I know of has airbags or other passive safety devices.

Indeed. What kills is the acceleration your body gets. Two ways to counter it : (1) have a very heavy car (much more than the object you are hitting) and rely on the inertia of the car to push everything that gets in your way so that you bleed your speed in a longer time. Problem : even a hummer slamming into a bridge support or a truck at highway speed will stop instantly.
Or (2) have a car with crumple zones that will deform to absorb the energy of the impact so that you get the luxury to decelerate over the half a meter or so that your car deforms itself.

Obviously, you can combine the two (like the MS.)

I was reading about this TT-30->NEMA 14-50 adapter: https://www.evseadapters.com/tesla-tt-30-rv-adapter. The first reviewer made the comment that "... I have a Juicebox EV charger and this works flawlessly on my Fiat 500e!".

Does this mean the 500e supports > 12 amp charging on a 120v circuit? J1772 apparently limits L1 charging to 16 amps. But that doesn't stop Tesla from supporting 20 and 24 amp charging. So I am wondering if Fiat is following Teslas lead on this?

I was reading about this TT-30->NEMA 14-50 adapter: https://www.evseadapters.com/tesla-tt-30-rv-adapter. The first reviewer made the comment that "... I have a Juicebox EV charger and this works flawlessly on my Fiat 500e!".

Does this mean the 500e supports > 12 amp charging on a 120v circuit? J1772 apparently limits L1 charging to 16 amps. But that doesn't stop Tesla from supporting 20 and 24 amp charging. So I am wondering if Fiat is following Teslas lead on this?

Looks to me like the TT-30P is still a 240 V circuit and so is the 14-50. The juice box is also 240V. The picture on the link shows the TT-30P as male and therefore the 14-50 is female which the Juicebox would plug into. Everything is 208 - 240 V which FIAT accepts on a J1772. Not clear on your 120V question.

Looks to me like the TT-30P is still a 240 V circuit and so is the 14-50. The juice box is also 240V. The picture on the link shows the TT-30P as male and therefore the 14-50 is female which the Juicebox would plug into. Everything is 208 - 240 V which FIAT accepts on a J1772. Not clear on your 120V question.

No. TT-30 is 120V only. That adapter description says "Please note: You may have seen similar adapters sold elsewhere. Although they look the same, they are wired very differently inside. Those adapters are wired for RV use and will not work with the Tesla. Ours is wired for the Tesla and will not work with RVs."

I suspect it provides 120V across the (normally 240V) 14-50 "hots", and only some EVSEs would accept it that way.

2016 Fiat 500e Leasing Options Available For As Low $69/Month

Those living in California that are interested in going electric, but don’t have much available money wise, may be interested to learn that some dealerships are offering 2016 Fiat 500e leases for as low as $69 a month.

That’s, of course, $69 a month with a down payment of $4000 — but still, not a bad deal. Those not wanting to pony up a down payment have other options as well — including one for $169 a month, with $0 down.

The deals mentioned above are via the Santa Monica Fiat dealership’s website, and are good until January 4, 2016 — though I’ve spotted similar deals elsewhere as well, so it might be worth looking around before committing.

<snip>
Full article at:
http://evobsession.com/2016-fiat-500e-leasing-options-available-for-as-low-69month/

Damn, these 500e's are popular. In my smallish town of Ventura, I see them everywhere. In Los Angeles, it seems there's more 500E's than ICE 500's. Then, in San Francisco, they are on every corner! I know the stats say they don't sell very many, and Marchionne says he loses money on every one, but it's a really nice car and selling well at least here in California.

see this article.

Fiat 500e Sales Account For 40% Of All Fiat 500 In U.S. In March

its a really, really fun car and everyone i work with has heard me rave about it. no surprise they are getting more and more popular.

That article was a bit misleading. They estimated 40% of US sales based on registrations in CA and OR, failing to take into account that it's not sold in any other states. And it was only that high for March 2015 when they started offering huge incentives to buy one.

Everybody I know who has one loves it. I'm sure it's a really fun car like you said. I'm only complaining about the misleading headline. I wish it was available in my state.