Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fiat 500e EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Android phone app for this guy is better than the Soul EV app. I only looked at it briefly, but it has the mileage, and climate control setting times like the Soul has, but also shows things like tire pressure for the individual tires!

let it be known that charge complete notifications are SUPER flakey with this car. ive had to re list my phone number in mopar owner connect page several times.

There is another recall on some of the 500e vehicles for stalling caused by incompatible programming between the "EVCU" (propulsion control unit) and "BPCM" (Battery Pack control unit).

Fiat 500e Recalled For Possibility Of Electric Propulsion System Shutdown

Description of the defect: In the event that the BPCM places the battery in limp home mode, by design there should be no requests to accept regenerative current to the battery. As a result of the software incompatibility, the EVCU does not recognize the limp home mode status and erroneously directs regenerative current to the battery pack causing an electrical system shut down to occur.

Description of the Safety Risk: When this error occurs, the vehicle will conduct a general shut-down by opening the EV battery pack contactors causing a loss of motive power which may increase the risk of crash.
The high voltage battery provides energy to the traction motor. Safety, brake and steering systems are powered by the 12V battery on the vehicle and are unaffected. The system can be reset and perform normally after cycling the key up to three times.

Description of the Cause: The EVCU does not properly recognize Limp Home Mode status command by the BPCM.

Identification of Any Warning that can Occur: Depending on the software level, there may be no indication that the BPCM is in limp home mode (only a stored code) and therefore, no signal to the operator.

Per Another Recall: June 9, 2015 that poitns to Recall Alert: 2013-2015 Fiat 500e:
Vehicles Affected: Approximately 4,000 model-year 2013-15 Fiat 500e hatchbacks

The Problem: The affected vehicles were inadvertently equipped with software that may misread torque levels and mistakenly cause a shift into neutral. This condition may occur only when the cruise control is engaged and the driver attempts to override the feature with accelerator-pedal applications or rapid tapping of the accelerate/decelerate buttons. Restarting the vehicle restores normal function. Fiat Chrysler America is unaware of any related injuries, accidents or complaints.

The Fix: FCA began sending service instructions to dealers today, but the automaker has not yet provided an owner notification schedule. Dealers will update the software for free.

What Owners Should Do: Owners can call FCA at 800-853-1403 for more information.
Today, I went for a test drive (have driven once briefly before) and to try out the stereo since a really crappy stereo (since there's no optional better stereo) would be a dealbreaker. Also, if the ride was too harsh, that'd make me think twice. I considered the Spark EV but reports of the crap stereo made me rule it out. The dealer was quite busy when I arrived and ended up having a salesman from their sister VW dealer go out w/me (who knew almost nothing about the 500e).

Stereo was fine. Ride was ok.

W/o going into negotiations, local dealer said for a 3 year 10K mile/year lease would be $3500 down and $139/mo before tax. They figured as an estimate 8.75% tax and said the doc fee and license was already part of that $3500 down. 12K miles/year would take be ~$10/mo extra.

If I wanted stuff like sunroof, orange or pearl white paint, that's extra $. I believe white interior was more $, as well. I wouldn't go for any of that.

They mentioned $1000 conquest cash if I was leasing a car from another manufacturer. They just needed my registration card showing the lien holder.

Hmm... seems tempting. Total cost of lease for a 3 years/36K miles due to the conquest cash and after $2500 CVRP would be ~$5671.

If I extend my '13 Leaf lease for another year (My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - End of Lease Strategies?), I'd have to pay $3140 in payments and probably buy new tires for it.

If I were doing a 3 year lease on a 500e, it might also need new tires at lease end.

However, since I have an '13 Leaf SV w/premium + QC + LED packages, I'd lose DC FC capability (not that important to me), around view monitor (like a LOT) and anything like Intelligent Key System (Smart Key System in Toyota parlance). It just has an old fashioned metal key to put in the steering column and I'd have to futz w/buttons on the key (fob). Also, the TomTom nav unit on a bracket feels like an afterthought.

fiat stereo is crappie? wow... I obviously need to try some other cars.
No, I didn't say that. I said I heard the Spark EV is stereo is terrible.

I wanted to make sure the 500e's stereo was at least acceptable. It was more than acceptable If it was crap, I'd have ruled it out.
@cwerdna, not considering any alternatives? I can vouch for the excellent VW e-Golf whose higher lease prices have gotten better from when I got one in December...
Yeah, sorta but the only alternatives I'd want must be substantially less than ~$262/month spread over life the lease. With the 2 months payment waived on extending my Leaf lease for 12 months, I'd need to pay $3140 for that extra time.

I have no plans to move to anything more expensive instead of extending for my Leaf lease for another year.

VW e-Golf is low on my list due to notoriously bad VW reliability (in general) and their lack of prowess w/reliable electrical systems. Seems like a bad idea to get an EV from such a company. And, it's a first model year.

Fiat 500e reliability is a total unknown though, as there are no Consumer Reports ratings for it (also true of most low volume EVs, esp. compliance cars) but FCA ICEVs admittedly don't score well in that dept either.

Last edited:
My wife loves her 2015 FIAT 500e
There are a few conviences that are missing like the homelike built garage door opener
Never been in the shop but she doesn't drive that much either.

The safety rating is very low at it is on pretty well all cars this size
For around town it's great and easy to park

ive had mine 18 months and have had to take it to the dealer 5 different times.
Yeah, I think I've seen some of your posts on some other Fiat 500e forums/Fiat 500 boards.

My '13 Leaf has been pretty reliable (had since end of July 2013). Other than some rattles, I did need to take mine in for My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here to flash new PDM (Power Distribution Module) firmware. There was also later a service campaign that had newer firmware that superceded that. I also brought it for an OCS (Occupant Classification Sensor) recall that I had them handle while their applied a firmware fix to solve the intermittently grabby brakes quirk (My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Got my Recall Notice for OCS Reprogramming ....).

The only ones that were arguably required were the 1st issue, since my car began terminating charge intermittently and prematurely and the recall and service campaign, at my convenience.

There seems to have been numerous safety recalls on the 500e (for which a few Tesla fanboys here claim aren't "safety issues", at least if it involves a Model S :rolleyes:). The good news is that at least safety issues are being identified and fixed.

I found it puzzling that in the past, VWs seem to have been the subject of few safety recalls in the US, despite them having lousy reliability. Not many VW-brand vehicles are sold in the US (2014: Forgetting The Ghosts Of Recessions Past Edition), unlike VAG's overall worldwide share. What strikes me as odd that somehow they could have poor reliability yet have few safety defects...

My '13 Leaf SV also doesn't have Homelink transmitter.

Last edited:
For around town it's great and easy to park

100% agree, it is my perfect commuter car. i just wish it was as stable as the wifes fit EV. after the 5th time, it seems like all the bugs are gone... recalls are fine with me, this is not:
16549962545_1d7f1f3a3b_b.jpg20150128_082502 by jeremy jozwik, on Flickr

especially when i have read so many reports of 50%+ charged cars simply shutting down on the freeway.

Haven't seen that one. Hope I never do
Since she's not traveling the interstate, can't get to far from a service center, home or taxi.

I don't recall but can a person can check the software version on the car ?
What year is your car ?.

fiat stereo is crappie? wow... I obviously need to try some other cars.

I don't like the stereo in our 500e that much and my wife hates it. Not nearly enough bass for her. I believe it's the second to lowest spec of the 500 lineup and there's no other options for the 500e. Definitely not as good as what we've had in the last few cars. Lack of Bluetooth A2DP doesn't help either.

For reliability, we've had ours for about 9 months and put just over 7k miles on it so far. It's gone back to the dealer twice. First time was within a few weeks after purchase. It used to be the demo car, so it had 600 miles on it when we got it (they reduced the lease by over $15 per month because of this) and the alignment was off. So they fixed that. It went back a second time a few months ago for a software upgrade. It had an issue with the scheduled charging were it didn't like to actually start charging on random days. No other issues with our 2014.

While not as nice as our MS60, it's a lot easier to parallel park then the Tesla when we go into the city! :)

I don't like the stereo in our 500e that much and my wife hates it. Not nearly enough bass for her. I believe it's the second to lowest spec of the 500 lineup and there's no other options for the 500e. Definitely not as good as what we've had in the last few cars. Lack of Bluetooth A2DP doesn't help either.

coming from a 2011 miata and a 2013 honda fit ev the fiats stereo was a large improvement.
but coming from a honda fit ev the lack of bluetooth audio is mega fail.