Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all- I just received my VIN today for LR AWD, Black/Black, 18 inch, autopilot. I'm expecting to pick up my car by Dec 6th from the SLC location!

Just curious about making final payment. It gives you the option to pay online as soon as receiving the VIN. Do most people wait until inspecting the car before completing payment?

Thanks for the insights!

I didnt wait on my 2020 SR+. I figured Id just get a refund if I didnt take the vehicle. Even if I did reject it, another vin would be assigned and the payment would be the same so why wait? My reasoning in any case but I understand waiting as well.

Reactions: Pemple
I highly suggest that you wait until you actually see the car in person on delivery day before paying.

I ordered my current car in June 2018. In September I was assigned a VIN and Tesla prompted me to pay and add insurance. I didn't pay but did add insurance. Long story short 2 weeks later I had to call my insurance to remove that car from my policy. My insurance was cool and never charged me for those 2 weeks I had that VIN on my policy. It was another 2 months later that I took delivery of my car with another VIN.

I can't tell you if things improved now, 2 years later, but what's the hurry in paying? Unless you're in the states where Tesla can't do business and requires full payment for the home delivery.

I highly suggest that you wait until you actually see the car in person on delivery day before paying.

I ordered my current car in June 2018. In September I was assigned a VIN and Tesla prompted me to pay and add insurance. I didn't pay but did add insurance. Long story short 2 weeks later I had to call my insurance to remove that car from my policy. My insurance was cool and never charged me for those 2 weeks I had that VIN on my policy. It was another 2 months later that I took delivery of my car with another VIN.

I can't tell you if things improved now, 2 years later, but what's the hurry in paying? Unless you're in the states where Tesla can't do business and requires full payment for the home delivery.

Good point.

I just scheduled my pickup.

Question.

They use some payment thing called “Plaid” that proxies your online banking credentials.

Is there any way to set up auto payment the old fashioned way by simply entering the banking info at the pickup facility?

I just scheduled my pickup.

Question.

They use some payment thing called “Plaid” that proxies your online banking credentials.

Is there any way to set up auto payment the old fashioned way by simply entering the banking info at the pickup facility?

I took a cashiers check with me to pickup, but this was 2018 and in CA. No idea what the rules are where you are, but as I mentioned, I went to my bank and took a cashiers check with me. I should have gotten one of those metal briefcases (complete with the handcuff to my arm) and popped it open like they do in the movies.

• Funny
Reactions: pjensen and OCR1
I took a cashiers check with me to pickup, but this was 2018 and in CA. No idea what the rules are where you are, but as I mentioned, I went to my bank and took a cashiers check with me. I should have gotten one of those metal briefcases (complete with the handcuff to my arm) and popped it open like they do in the movies.

Right, I have the check part under control - thinking ahead to setting up direct bank payments for the finance.

Right, I have the check part under control - thinking ahead to setting up direct bank payments for the finance.
It depends on the bank used for Tesla financing. I got stuck with US Bank and they make it a major pain to set up automatic payments. You have to fill out a form and mail it like it's the 20th Century!

Okay that may be a total first world problem, but it is really annoying that I could easily set up automated online payments for larger loans than my Tesla (mortgage payment, student loan payment) entirely online without hassle. It's almost like US Bank is relying on some number of people f-ing up and getting charged late fees :rolleyes:

It depends on the bank used for Tesla financing. I got stuck with US Bank and they make it a major pain to set up automatic payments. You have to fill out a form and mail it like it's the 20th Century!

Okay that may be a total first world problem, but it is really annoying that I could easily set up automated online payments for larger loans than my Tesla (mortgage payment, student loan payment) entirely online without hassle. It's almost like US Bank is relying on some number of people f-ing up and getting charged late fees :rolleyes:

I was able to set up autopay with US bank online, just downloaded the app and put in the loan details...

For OP, I wouldn’t recommend wiring final payment, bring a check and don’t hand it over before you have gone over the car.

I was able to set up autopay with US bank online, just downloaded the app and put in the loan details...

For OP, I wouldn’t recommend wiring final payment, bring a check and don’t hand it over before you have gone over the car.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if I missed some auto pay option somewhere. It says autopay setup not available in the account management section but it's possible I'm not looking at the right thing.

Do they let you take the car with an ACH payment initiated there? They can be canceled, and even if it's a next-day one, money would get there until the next business day. I thought you'd have to make a W/T if you wait to inspect the car. In my case, I'd have to travel 5 hours if car is not delivered to my house. But if it's delivered to my house, I'm sure Tesla will ask for payment first. What's the likelihood of having issues with the car right off the bat? Has quality improved sufficiently to trust Tesla with payment sight unseen? Thx.

Do they let you take the car with an ACH payment initiated there? They can be canceled, and even if it's a next-day one, money would get there until the next business day. I thought you'd have to make a W/T if you wait to inspect the car. In my case, I'd have to travel 5 hours if car is not delivered to my house. But if it's delivered to my house, I'm sure Tesla will ask for payment first. What's the likelihood of having issues with the car right off the bat? Has quality improved sufficiently to trust Tesla with payment sight unseen? Thx.
Also wondering this. I plan to pay with my debit card, can I make payment there after accepting the car? Or would I need to comeback to pick up the car?

I picked up in Jacksonville FL. My SA is in GA. They took a personal check, no issues at all. I was told no credit cards or debit cards. I would have been all over that because of reward miles but no such luck. I mention the GA advisor because he said they take checks in GA and I had no issue in FL.

I used personal check for all but the $100 order fee. While there, I did overhear a delivery advisor saying they've recently setup to initiate ACH from inside the vehicle and he wanted to try it with someone else having their Model Y delivered. YMMV.

We are planning on a ACH (Money Bank Transfer) to Tesla this week. Has anyone ever done this before? My wife has concerns that paying before hand is not good in case there is something wrong with the vehicle upon delivery on 8/4/2021? She said she spoke with the local Tesla Sales people who told her to wait as long as she can. I myself want to pay ahead of time, so there is no glitches with the bank, and if there were, we have time to resolve them before the delivery date. 😟

We are planning on a ACH (Money Bank Transfer) to Tesla this week. Has anyone ever done this before?

We paid via ACH on 3/25, picked up our Model 3 on 3/27. Worked fine.

I was confident Tesla would make everything right, even if that meant rejecting the car and waiting for a refund.

On pickup day we were pleasantly surprised, the car was perfect. We got to the Tesla dealer a little early, had to wait 20 to 30 minutes for our car to come out. Once it was out we spent a few minutes inspecting things and then we were off and on the way home.

Best auto purchase ever. Nine days from order to pickup. We just happened to time the purchase just right (end of quarter).

Reactions: hcdavis3
We paid via ACH on 3/25, picked up our Model 3 on 3/27. Worked fine.

I was confident Tesla would make everything right, even if that meant rejecting the car and waiting for a refund.

On pickup day we were pleasantly surprised, the car was perfect. We got to the Tesla dealer a little early, had to wait 20 to 30 minutes for our car to come out. Once it was out we spent a few minutes inspecting things and then we were off and on the way home.

Best auto purchase ever. Nine days from order to pickup. We just happened to time the purchase just right (end of quarter).
It was the easiest ACH ever! Never had a hiccup or issue. Thanks DeltaOne!

Reactions: DeltaOne