Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Final test drive tomorrow am I making the right decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am taking a model y LR for an another test drive tomorrow and will make my decision whether to get this or a used M340d. If I get the Tesla it will be a business lease and the bmw would be a pcp personal.

I do have a few concerns I do around 25-30k a year and have around 2 journeys a week which will be around 200 miles will I be spending a lot on superchargers? Also I see they are getting busier will I be losing a lot of time in my day.

Also if the electric costs go up again it would be a problem but I am fixed at 25p per kWh on Octopus until November and understand I can use the cheaper night rate.

Let me know your thoughts I will be using the car for work and will be in it around 6 hours a day driving to different meetings I visit around 6 different places a day.

Thanks for any advice

I'd not be buying an electric car of any model with your job to be honest and the state of public charging networks. Sounds like you are far more suited to a diesel currently to be honest. Consider in winter for sure you won't make 200 miles without finding somewhere to charge. Depending on where that is you might be queuing for a while before you can even start charging. That'll get old fast.

200 miles sounds like a sweet spot for an MYLR TBH lots of miles but you should be able to do all your charging overnight at home. Maybe not all of it on cheap rate. 7KW charger, allowing 3mile per kw (given overheads and charging losses) means you will need to charge for 10 hours per night.
remember though that you can claim the mileage on the personal BMW from your company at a much higher rate than you can with a company EV so that might be a factor for you

Edit
One under appreciated benefit of an EV is preheating. You never need to get into a hot or cold car again and you will never need to de-ice. If you are doing a lot of multistage journeys like you said then for me this would be a bit attraction.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Thanks for the replies the Tesla would go through a ltd company so would be good for tax but I would be buying the bmw so the milage rates would be better and I might have something to show for it at the end

I come from a BMW and in all honesty I think that would be perfect for what you need. With that mileage and with the car being pivotal in your work I wouldn’t have said the Tesla is right at this time.
All it takes in one failed charge overnight or one poorly car that takes weeks to get a service slot then that would be an issue.
Plenty of time to experience Tesla, maybe not now though?

Reactions: CWT3LR
I have a model 3 and a model y, both LR and both leases through my own Ltd co. I have done 30k miles across the 2 over the last 12 months, and as an example, have done this week:

Monday in the M3 - Leicester to north London and back - left home with 90% got back with 23%. 200 miles covered
Tuesday in the M3 - Leicester to Bruton, Somerset and back, 360 miles travelled, left home with 100%, charged at michaelwood SuC on the way home for approx 30mins, spent 26.40, back home with 35% (probably charged too long, but was on the phone)
Wednesday in the M3 - Leicester to York and back - left home with 90%, got back with 13%. 220 miles travelled.
Thursday - no travel
Friday in the M3 - Leicester to Bermondsey, then Wimbledon then back. Left home with 100%, charged at south mimms SuC for approx 20 mins cost 9.03, got back with 17% 291 miles travelled

point is, they’re fine for doing the miles, even in mostly minus temps this week, just needs a bit of planning. The M3 gets used more in the winter than the MY just because it’s that bit more efficient…

around 2 journeys a week which will be around 200 miles will I be spending a lot on superchargers?

Put your frequent journeys into ABetterRoutePlanner choose Model and have a play with Winter and Summer temperatures (and dry / wet if you like)

200 miles is straightforward for a Long Range, even in Winter unless the temperature is sub-zero for the whole trip ... but ...

I see they are getting busier will I be losing a lot of time in my day

For my business journeys (unlike you I'm visiting one client) I make sure I can get there! that way I don't have to worry about charging making me late. So I aim to only charge on the return journey, and if I'm held up that's on "my time".

Do you have emails to do? - I either do mine whilst sitting charging, or I have to do them when I get home, so charging on the return trip is usually time-neutral for me (even if I had to queue, provided not too often / for too long)

I am fixed at 25p per kWh

You'd get about 3 - 4 miles per kWh - so 6-8p per mile. You'd need to be driving an "Eco box" to get down to 10p a mile on Petrol / Diesel, and a guzzler is going to be around 20p a mile. And that's before you've factored in that some of your charging will be on a cheaper Off Peak charging rate and that EVs have less maintenance costs per annum.

around 6 hours a day driving to different meetings I visit around 6 different places a day

Now this IS a snag.

In Winter there is a set-off penalty - both the cabin and, more importantly, the battery are cold. When leaving from home you can pre-condition the car (off the mains) and so you leave with 100% in the battery AND everything nice and warm. Winter temperature (5C average lets say, not -5C :) ) will use about 10-15% more than summer - but that is for a single-leg journey.

Each time you stop, for an hour or so, your battery will get cold and you'll have the set off penalty. If you can plug in to even 13AMP whilst you are parked that would help negate that problem. I'm never shy about using a 13AMP socket that I find in a company / hotel car park :) Maybe the places you visit have chargers?

So I think this is the one thing you would need to do some review of ... not sure how you would simulate that in ABetterRoutePlanner - perhaps learned folk here can come up with a guesstimate kWh "cost" each time you have to set off with a cold battery, so just add 5x that "set off cost". I have no idea what the number would be, but if I guess 3kWh then setting off "five times" (i.e. not the first one in the morning) in the day would use 5 x 3kWh - which would steal 60 miles of range :(

Consider in winter for sure you won't make 200 miles without finding somewhere to charge

That's very pessimistic compared to my experience, but the O/P's need to visit 6 sites would be a problem in winter.

All it takes in one failed charge overnight or one poorly car that takes weeks to get a service slot then that would be an issue

I've never had a failed overnight charge (I've had Tesla as daily-driver since 2015). Right back at the beginning I installed a commando socket as backup, and now I have two EVs I also have two wall chargers. My experience of getting a Tesla repaired is much the same / just as bad as any other brand I've owned.

Intelligent Octopus, providing you have a smart meter, will allow a full charge each night on the cheaper rate.

I think there is another, small, snag with this too ...

Typical "best" Off Peak rates are for 4 hours - that's 4 hours x 7kW x 4 miles = 112 miles (unless by some miracle you have 3-phase power ...) . So on days when the mileage was 200+ its going to take some Peak Rate charging too. It may be worth considering if Ecconomy-7 (7 hours Off Peak each night, but more expensive than the 4 hour Off Peak rates) would work out cheaper overall - 7 hours x 7kW x 4 miles = 196 miles

If the 200+ mile days are not back-to-back then you can partly charge (on 4-hour Off Peak) the first night, and again the second night ... to have more range on day 3

I think there is another, small, snag with this too ...

Typical "best" Off Peak rates are for 4 hours - that's 4 hours x 7kW x 4 miles = 112 miles (unless by some miracle you have 3-phase power ...) . So on days when the mileage was 200+ its going to take some Peak Rate charging too. It may be worth considering if Ecconomy-7 (7 hours Off Peak each night, but more expensive than the 4 hour Off Peak rates) would work out cheaper overall - 7 hours x 7kW x 4 miles = 196 miles

If the 200+ mile days are not back-to-back then you can partly charge (on 4-hour Off Peak) the first night, and again the second night ... to have more range on day 3
I don't think there's a snag here. Intelligent Octopus schedules the periods that your car requires charging dynamically each day in order to meet your required SOC by your requested departure time the next day.

Even if you don't plug the car in at night, you get 6 hours at 10p per kWh from 11:30pm-5:30am. If your car requires more than 6 hours to charge to your requested SOC then they convert some typically peak periods into off peak on that day in order for you to charge at the 10p rate. Any additional off peak periods provided so that the car can meet it's SOC by your requested departure time also mean general household electricity consumption is at the off peak rate too.

Intelligent Octopus works out when to charge your car in 30 minute blocks in order to lessen the load on the grid, using periods where electricity availability is most abundant.

The snag/trade off perhaps is that the peak rate is a bit higher than the price cap, however if you're doing high miles each day it should work out cheaper overall, and you won't be in the house during the day to use much energy at the peak rate.

I think you may have been thinking about Octopus Go, with the fixed off peak hours each night?

I've just got a Model Y LR in December and don't have the option of home charging. Done 2K miles with a couple 200 mile road trips. Literally been a stress free experience and have hardly thought about charging. Just today I done a 100 mile round trip in cold weather, left home with 55% got back with 28% and I'm doing another 50 miles tomorrow before I charge again.

I'm expecting to do 20K miles in first year.

If you can home charge really think the mileage your talking about isn't an issue. Only think it's an issue if your consistently doing 300+ miles in a day and will need to charge publicly every day.

For your benefit, I'm based in South East England and charging facilities are pretty ok here.

IO schedule for reference. 9 hours of cheap rate at 10p and the car and battery are warm for when I want to leave.
B463CB89-A467-4B1C-9DC1-D5E5AD4D240F.png

• Informative
Reactions: Astrape
Hi I am taking a model y LR for an another test drive tomorrow and will make my decision whether to get this or a used M340d. If I get the Tesla it will be a business lease and the bmw would be a pcp personal.

I do have a few concerns I do around 25-30k a year and have around 2 journeys a week which will be around 200 miles will I be spending a lot on superchargers? Also I see they are getting busier will I be losing a lot of time in my day.

So, like me. My office is 160 miles away, I do 20-25k miles a year (I arrive to office and stay in hotel over night). I used SuperChargers about 10 times in 12 months. I arrive to office can charge there or at the hotel. 99% of my charges happens at home.
Also if the electric costs go up again it would be a problem but I am fixed at 25p per kWh on Octopus until November and understand I can use the cheaper night rate.

Let me know your thoughts I will be using the car for work and will be in it around 6 hours a day driving to different meetings I visit around 6 different places a day.

Thanks for any advice
You will use SCs or other chargers a bit more often than me. Bit it's not an issue.

Reactions: WannabeOwner