Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

skyline

Former Vendor
May 7, 2017
Chicago
Hello TMC!

At Skyline, we have been hard at work designing and testing cool new accessories for the Tesla community! Last year, we introduced our Case-friendly Phone Dock for Model 3, and the feedback has been clear: Model 3 owners love it! Customers who have reviewed their purchase have called it “a must have”, “the best accessory for Model 3”, and that the car “Should have came with this from the factory”. We are glad you’re enjoying it, and we hope you will continue to check up on us as we introduce more products!

We love creating useful new products that improve the experience you have with your car every day. We decided to focus our attention on an area that was a bit lacking in the Model 3 interior: a place to store your sunglasses. The only decent options were to sacrifice the cup-holder space, or to store them in the center bin. We didn’t want to give up our cup-holders, and digging around for items in the center bin was awkward and distracting while driving.

Our usual design process involves several concepts and prototypes, but we took that to a new level with this project. Over a span of 6 months, we created and tested over 3 dozen different designs! The design goals were to create a convenient mounting solution that would work with all eyewear frames. We placed extra emphasis on a mounting location that could easily be reached while driving. The product had to install quickly and effortlessly, and be fully removable without damaging the console. Lastly, it had to be custom made specifically to the Model 3 interior, and look as though it were a factory installed part.

any frames.gif

We decided on a design that places the glasses on the undersize of the console lid. This location proved to be easy to reach while driving, and still allows the console lid to close and protect your shades. By far, the most difficult design challenge was to create a part that would securely hold nearly all frame shapes and sizes. A unique spring loaded wedge design was the key to a truly universal solution, providing force to hold your frames while also creating support for the nose bridge. The mount is secured to the Model 3 console lid with durable 3M adhesive tape, which can easily be removed without damage or residue (just apply light heat).

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Check out the videos below to see it in action!

The Model 3 Sunglasses Mount is in stock and available now! Be sure to check out some of the reviews from our early beta testers – we appreciate all of the feedback from the community, and we use this to create better products for everyone.

The Tesla Motors Club Community can save an additional 5% by using coupon code SAVE5TMC

Click here to order!

If this all sounds interesting, check out our other Tesla Products, and sign up for our email list to receive updates on your new product development!

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
Looks interesting, but will wait for reviews. Great location choice! A little concerned with ease of one handed use (should be seamless and easy to drop in or lift out, but it looks a little harder than that). Also wonder about long term effects of torque on mounting surface (assuming it's double sided tape?).

• Informative
Reactions: skyline
Looks interesting, but will wait for reviews. Great location choice! A little concerned with ease of one handed use (should be seamless and easy to drop in or lift out, but it looks a little harder than that). Also wonder about long term effects of torque on mounting surface (assuming it's double sided tape?).

These are some good points... One of the primary design intents with the mount is one-handed operation and "blind" install. We wanted user to never have to even take their eyes of the road and simply perform an install or removal of eye-ware with one hand. We believe we've accomplished this! Regarding the product unintentionally removing we've used the highest quality 3M double sided tape to prevent this. Furthermore, we of course offer 100% customer satisfaction and are more than willing to replace any defects should the mount ever fail. Lastly, we have customer reviews of the product on our site helloskyline.com

Understood. But I found that space to be rather useless with how frustrating it was to just reach into a pile of stuff in there. The organizer makes way more sense to me but glad to see some options for others that may like the cavern.

Agreed. Also, if the sunglasses are on the clip, it appears as if it still gets in way of being able to stick your hands down into the storage area easily. Then again, I have big hands haha

Too bad that it blocks the entire storage space below, which is something we wanted to avoid with our design!
Unfortunately, your clip would interfere with an accessory tray I added to my storage bin to make small items like change, cleaning solution spray, OTG adapter and screen cleaning cloths accessable. Seldom used items like a flashlight are stored under the tray in the deep bin. . I keep my sunglasses in the tray under the armrest.