Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally getting a model X. Some questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, I decided to not wait for the model 3 but go for a model X. I'm getting a blue 75D with white seats and EAP, no other options. The order is confirmed today and I cant wait for the delivery next month.

Before the delivery, I have some questions for you model x experts:
1) How's the build quality of model x these days? I read it was pretty bad at the beginning with low yield rate and large gaps between panels
2) I plan to get a HEPA filter in the near future but I cant find the item link on the online store anymore. How do I get it?
3) Has anyone slept in the model x for camping? How much power does the AC cost in summer and winter if you run it the whole night? I want to use it to camp outside for astrophotography, but I probably need to be super cautious since my battery pack is the smallest one. Lol
4) I know range varies based on environments. How much range do you normally get?
5) Any tips on maintaining a healthy battery? Not to charge 100% at all?

Reactions: hiroshiy
1) How's the build quality of model x these days? I read it was pretty bad at the beginning with low yield rate and large gaps between panels

Got mine at the end of 1st quarter and everything has been great so far.

2) I plan to get a HEPA filter in the near future but I cant find the item link on the online store anymore. How do I get it?

There used to be a link to order it after delivery but I can't find it either. Did they just quietly stop offering that option or did they move it to "My Tesla" page for those who didn't order the Premium package?

I guess you have to call up Tesla and ask.

3) Has anyone slept in the model x for camping?

Not me.

How much power does the AC cost in summer

When I had Model S, it costed about 5 rated miles per hour in 90F outdoor.

winter if you run it the whole night?

Heater would drain much more energy than A/C would.

I don't have exact number but LOTS!

4) I know range varies based on environments. How much range do you normally get?

I use AP2 almost all the time and within posted limit signs so a buffer of 50 extra miles on the battery is fine for me (If I need to take a 200 mile trip, I would make sure the battery is charged to 250 miles minimally.)

Please see:

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Finally, I decided to not wait for the model 3 but go for a model X. I'm getting a blue 75D with white seats and EAP, no other options. The order is confirmed today and I cant wait for the delivery next month.

Before the delivery, I have some questions for you model x experts:
3) Has anyone slept in the model x for camping? How much power does the AC cost in summer and winter if you run it the whole night? I want to use it to camp outside for astrophotography, but I probably need to be super cautious since my battery pack is the smallest one. Lol

Hepa filter can no longer be ordered independently from the premium upgrade package. Any links pointing to the $750 retrofit is dead.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
I had mine for a year and I am considered to be lucky since I never had door problems. My only issues consisted of rattles and the seals weren't very neat. I am sure both issues would be resolved by now!

Hepa filter can no longer be ordered independently from the premium upgrade package. Any links pointing to the $750 retrofit is dead.
The 'theory' is that it took away from PUP (Premium Package) sales since pieces of it keep evaporating or being able to be ordered separately (like the power lift gate). Another theory is parts availability, which I don't believe.

I subscribe to the PUP idea but some sources have said the individual option 'will be back'. I think it was a test and it was too successful. ;)

So, yeah, be careful on the options. Ones you used to be able to upgrade later are no longer available (another is the charger).

Regarding #5: Keep charges to 100% at a minimum and, if you do, be sure to drive shortly after so the time spent near 100% is minimized. Also, try and keep the average state of charge over time as low as possible. Lastly, keep the cycles as shallow as possible. Other than that, the BMS system will take care of the rest.

Regarding #5: Keep charges to 100% at a minimum and, if you do, be sure to drive shortly after so the time spent near 100% is minimized. Also, try and keep the average state of charge over time as low as possible. Lastly, keep the cycles as shallow as possible. Other than that, the BMS system will take care of the rest.
I disagree with this. In a static situation, don't let the charge go below 40%. Naturally, when you're driving you'll go below this.

The 'theory' is that it took away from PUP (Premium Package) sales since pieces of it keep evaporating or being able to be ordered separately (like the power lift gate). Another theory is parts availability, which I don't believe.

I subscribe to the PUP idea but some sources have said the individual option 'will be back'. I think it was a test and it was too successful. ;)

So, yeah, be careful on the options. Ones you used to be able to upgrade later are no longer available (another is the charger).

I do not think it will be back because:

1.) it cannibalizes PUP sales. It's not a theory as many people have stated here it was the main reason to get PUP, wouldn't get PUP now because it's stand alone.

2.) tesla does not want avoidable service calls for any reason when trying to ramp up the 3 in full force. Even a $750 retrofit doesn't want to make them get out of bed if they don't have to.

Moral if the story is if you see an option and you want it, get it today.

1.) it cannibalizes PUP sales. It's not a theory as many people have stated here it was the main reason to get PUP, wouldn't get PUP now because it's stand alone.

While I agree, I would also like to point out that @boaterva made a good point about PUP losing value as well. The loss of ventilated seats without a price decrease certainly made PUP a lot less appealing... add to that he HEPA filter being a separate option... (On the Model S side the power lift gate also being removed from the PUP and made standard...)

PUP, for a while at least, was not terribly good value - if it ever has been...

Reactions: boaterva
Check out the Delivery Checklist topic prior to delivery, so you can carefully inspect the entire car everywhere. Tesla Service will fix the imperfections, but it's good to list the issues from the start. Quality improvements have certainly been made. Most imperfections are cosmetic in nature and will be duly resolved.

I used a mattress from our camper, cut it to proportions and put it into our 5-seater Model X 75D. There is still a lot of space under the flat floor in the back and in the frunk. The roof is relatively low, so choose a mattress which isn't too thick. It's really great to sleep in because of the window tinting. I put a towel between the two front seats to block some more light, and when it was very cold outside, awoke to use the Tesla app to turn on the heater (or later possibly the airco) - might be more practical and warmer than to crawl and reach for the instrument cluster.
I have read that the Tesla AC can consume up to 6kW; however, I have not verified that, and the impact of (re)heating the car while sleeping and charging, seemed minimal. Might be different with -25 C outside.

It's not possible to leave the heater on for the entire night while charging. While the power provided by campsites isn't a lot, it might be sufficient to fully charge over a few nights if you're not driving too much during the day.
I understood that, when not connected to the the charger, it's possible to go into a kind of 'camper mode' state.

Interesting to know is that next to the wheel on the inside, close to the charge port, there's a specific key dead spot, so you can leave the key inside and still lock the car.

Battery wise, we have the lowest capacity, and - after having driven almost 10.000kms in the 2 months we have the Model X - the size of the battery; well, the 100D is a lot more expensive... But if I was offered to upgrade now for the price difference, I would accept the offer. Because I use it more for long distance travel than originally anticipated; thanks to the joys of the autopilot.
Maybe such an upgrade will come one day, as battery performance and weight continues to improve - and the battery cost will probably be less than now.

Attachments

• IMG_20170428_185333.jpg
    IMG_20170428_185333.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 79