Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally - national data on the number of BEVs and Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably for the brand. It has a significant recognition and you’d get it for peanuts. Plus probably a whole bunch of IP on the lean-thinking process that Edwards Deming developed and propelled Toyota to being an international giant.

It is very sad to see that they have been so resistant to electrification after getting a more than twenty year head start. The cars are very well made, it is just a corporate choice that will see people look elsewhere.

MG went bankrupt I think before it was bought by Chinese interests and Jaguar-Rover went through several hands losing money before Tata bought them.

Probably for the brand. It has a significant recognition and you’d get it for peanuts.
Could just buy Toyota to immediately shut it down.
b5d.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Hairyman
I think I remember hearing that the original Fremont factory was repurposing an ex-Toyota plant?
Yes, it was called the NUMI factory in its prior life, and made Toyota and GM badged cars. It was selected, mainly because at the time Tesla didn’t have the funds to build a new factory from scratch and Toyota effectively accepted $400M Tesla stock in exchange for the factory. Toyota have since sold their stake in Tesla and done very nicely out of the deal.
Tesla is a completely different and vastly larger company now and has the ability to build its own factories; something like NUMI would likely not be big enough for their needs now.

Reactions: johnchidgey