Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally - national data on the number of BEVs and Teslas!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect BYD to outsell Tesla by the end of 2025, if not sooner

BYD currently make more BEVs+PHEVs than Tesla (1,857,379 vs 1,313,851 in 2022) hence the claim (rarely challenged by cut-and-paste journalists) that they are the world’s largest EV manufacturer.

The correct metric is that BYD are behind Tesla in BEVs - but they are closing the gap, and fast. In 2022, BYD sold 69% of Tesla’s BEV volumes (911,141 vs 1,313,851) while in 2021, BYD was only at 34% of Tesla’s BEV volumes (320,810 vs 936,172).

They will almost certainly overtake Tesla in 2025, possibly even in 2024.

• Informative
Reactions: Hungry Mile
My neighbour has an Atto 3, and whilst it’s no Tesla, it’s not a bad car. The fit and finish is good although the interior styling is not to my taste. What I would miss most versus the Tesla is the superior touch screen interface and the loss of auto trip planning. It’s also not very good at guessing remaining range and combined with a broken DC charger In Mittagong he has once run out of charge and had to have it towed home. On the other hand, we recently had a black out and he plugged in some lights, fridge and TV whilst we sat in the dark.

It’s also not very good at guessing remaining range and combined with a broken DC charger In Mittagong he has once run out of charge and had to have it towed home.
I am pretty sure this is one of the reasons Tesla doesn't have Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. They want to strongly nudge Tesla drivers towards using the built-in route planning with its good range prediction, to minimize the number of "had to be towed home" stories about Teslas.

• Disagree
Reactions: Burnt Toast
Quite a few Tesla owners are getting a BYD as their second car. They use the Tesla for road trips and the BYD for around town. I guess they don't want to pay the extra for both cars, if they don't need the features
I'd be keen to drive the BYD.

I drove a Polstar once in Adelaide through Hertz and wasn't that impressed honestly however I hear good things about BYD.

Reactions: Hairyman
BYD currently make more BEVs+PHEVs than Tesla (1,857,379 vs 1,313,851 in 2022) hence the claim (rarely challenged by cut-and-paste journalists) that they are the world’s largest EV manufacturer.

The correct metric is that BYD are behind Tesla in BEVs - but they are closing the gap, and fast. In 2022, BYD sold 69% of Tesla’s BEV volumes (911,141 vs 1,313,851) while in 2021, BYD was only at 34% of Tesla’s BEV volumes (320,810 vs 936,172).

They will almost certainly overtake Tesla in 2025, possibly even in 2024.
I was referring to BYD overtaking Tesla sales in Australia by 2025.
Worldwide BYD could overtake Tesla in BEV sales this year , but definitely will by 2024

A quick google search shows that to be false. They still sell tonnes of ICE cars. Remember, if it has an engine in it, it isn't an EV.
False.
The generally accepted objective definition of EVs is PHEVs & BEVs.
That is, a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle is considered an electric vehicle.
Typically, the term ICEV is not used to refer to PHEV, but rather a vehicle with a fossil fuel engine only

• Funny
Reactions: PC__LoadLetter
False.
The generally accepted objective definition of EVs is PHEVs & BEVs.
That is, a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle is considered an electric vehicle.
Typically, the term ICEV is not used to refer to PHEV, but rather a vehicle with a fossil fuel engine only
It has an internal combustion engine. It's an ICE vehicle. Your opinion is irrelevant.