Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Finally! The new rear cupholders!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome!!! Would love to see those pictures! What is your VIN btw? I'm 158XXX...

I don't think VIN has a whole lot to do with it. It's more about built date... at least I hope. My VIN is 155xxx because it was assigned in August some time. Since then I've changed configuration but it does not look as though the VIN has changed. This tells me that the VIN was assigned but the car hadn't been built yet. FYI, my DS thinks I'll have the car by the end of the month and it doesn't look like they've started building it! They must be building cars quickly these days!

I don't think VIN has a whole lot to do with it. It's more about built date... at least I hope. My VIN is 155xxx because it was assigned in August some time. Since then I've changed configuration but it does not look as though the VIN has changed. This tells me that the VIN was assigned but the car hadn't been built yet. FYI, my DS thinks I'll have the car by the end of the month and it doesn't look like they've started building it! They must be building cars quickly these days!

No kidding, mine hasn't begun production yet, but I keep being reassured an end of Sept delivery... Sounds like crazy fast production. I hope they really are testing our 100 kWh batteries extensively and not rushing it.

Looks like a small side benefit of this slight delay was the rear cup holders and USB ports :)

Reactions: Lyon
The press release does not say that this limitation is due to lack of a 2nd camera.

Yes, true, although it would be very odd if it did say that, even if it was the truth, which in my view it is. We know that fully autonomous driving is available with more hardware (which obviously solves this problem) -- to quote Elon Musk:

But the limitation may not only be lack of a second camera, but also lack of sufficient processing hardware, both of which we know are coming, the only question is "when?". I know the next step is not full autonomy, but I use that example to show that the limitation is due to the lack of hardware, that is not solved simply by software improvements, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks like a small side benefit of this slight delay was the rear cup holders and USB ports :)

I've had rear cup holders, 2 usb's, (and 2 12volts!) since 2014...

IMG_20160911_14109.jpg
IMG_20160911_25133.jpg

Now if only I could retrofit AP as easily! ;)

It has been implied that the hardware will come before the M3 launches, which is about a year away...

That seems to be the conventional thinking but how do we reconcile that with this:

Speaking about Tesla’s progress in full Level 4 autonomy, Musk said that “what we’ve got will blow people’s minds, it blows my mind …it’ll come sooner than people think.

The article goes on to state that Musk said the issue is not one of hardware, except in relation to the computer, or processing hardware. So it's conceivable that the Model 3 will come out with the same radar and camera hardware as the Model S/X but will greater processing power to do more with them. I don't accept that view, but what do I know? Nothing really about this stuff, except for my gut feeling, and that's worth about what people are paying me for my opinion.

Lastly, Musk has said repeatedly that the Model S/X will always lead in all areas of technology over the Model 3 (that is, the new S/X's available at the time vs. the Model 3, of course, since a Model 3 will obviously be more advanced than older S/X's in certain tech areas). When we put this all together, unless the Model 3 has the same hardware (both cameras, radar and processing) as the current S/X, AP2.0 has to come out before the Model 3, but even that is just a guess.

Last edited:
That seems to be the conventional thinking but how do we reconcile that with this:

Speaking about Tesla’s progress in full Level 4 autonomy, Musk said that “what we’ve got will blow people’s minds, it blows my mind …it’ll come sooner than people think.”

The article goes on to state that Musk said the issue is not one of hardware, except in relation to the computer, or processing hardware. So it's conceivable that the Model 3 will come out with the same radar and camera hardware as the Model S/X but will greater processing power to do more with them. I don't accept that view, but what do I know? Nothing really about this stuff, except for my gut feeling, and that's worth about what people are paying me for my opinion.

Lastly, Musk has said repeatedly that the Model S/X will always lead in all areas of technology over the Model 3 (that is, the new S/X's available at the time vs. the Model 3, of course, since a Model 3 will obviously be more advanced than older S/X's in certain tech areas). When we put this all together, unless the Model 3 has the same hardware (both cameras, radar and processing) as the current S/X, AP2.0 has to come out before the Model 3, but even that is just a guess.
I understand that the current limitations on automatic lane change relate to sensor capability--they can't see a rapidly approaching car from behind in the passing lane. I am also concerned about the ability to make a turn onto a non-controlled highway with no merge lane without increased sensor range to the sides on the front of the car.

It seems to me that testing out the next generation of AP sensors in the existing S/X fleet would be better than waiting until a mass of Model 3's come out. They would already have data collected to make the Model 3 experience better from day one.

Yes, that's it. I use one in the back and one up front since I don't have a center console, and it also fits great in that spot, and I use it to hold my drinks rather than the arm rest ones. The one in the back is a bit deceiving though. That's a small water bottle. For larger bottles, you need to move it back a bit or they hit the top and don't fit. I use non-slip like this under it and it works great:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Multipurpose-Non-Slip-Mat-Furniture/dp/B00AVJ9GBY

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and HHHH
Just ordered it on amazon - thanks - I did go with the new high output wagman 6.2AMP cup USB kit.Wagan Tech 2886 Cupholder Adapter 6.2 - Walmart.com

Nice. I like that one. I note that the non-slip stuff I posted was $64! That's a rip-off -- I just googled it to find it as an example. I had some lying around since we used it in our travel trailer to keep the cups and dishes in place while driving. You can probably find it online a lot cheaper, or at RV stores. You will want to use it to keep it from moving around unless you anchor it some way more permanently.

No kidding, mine hasn't begun production yet, but I keep being reassured an end of Sept delivery... Sounds like crazy fast production. I hope they really are testing our 100 kWh batteries extensively and not rushing it.

I'm more excited about that than I should be. ;)

Yes, true, although it would be very odd if it did say that, even if it was the truth, which in my view it is. We know that fully autonomous driving is available with more hardware (which obviously solves this problem) -- to quote Elon Musk:

I don't think we know that full autonomy is available. I think they believe it will be available. But I still think it will be a while before we see anyone achieve it. You can have all the sensors you want, but the software challenge of navigating in the near proximity of unpredictable traffic, pedestrians, animals, and other road hazards will be a tough nut to crack.

Reactions: GSP

In context, this seems to apply to automatic emergency braking, not Autopilot. This is what Musk said at the press conference today:

When the Autopilot is not active, it will operate in an emergency braking mode. In that case, it’s more likely to mitigate the impact speed because if Autosteer it doesn’t know if the driver is actually going to get out-of-the-way of an obstacle or not. So it will only brake at the very last second.

If Autosteer is turned on, the car computer knows what its probable path is and whether it will actually turn in time or not. And so it will be a much more comfortable braking experience as opposed to the last-minute and in that case, we think mostly likely we will be able to brake to a complete stop instead of simply mitigating the impact velocity.​