TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Financing options

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by chmod a+wrx, Aug 14, 2012.

1. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Navy federal 1.99% 72 months.

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Does anyone know if Navy Federal caps auto loans at $70,000, like Penfed does? I can't find anything in their disclosure that says anything about an maximum loan amount. If not, I think I'll go with them and trade a slightly higher rate (1.79% vs 1.49%) to be able to finance the whole amount on my Performance 85.

3. dmunjal

dmunjal Member

Logix CU. 1.99% for 60 months and 100% financing.

Logix - Rates

4. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Navy federal does not cap at all. This is the 3rd loan we have had with them and they have been great each time. They had a local office for me and I was in and out in an hour with check in hand. Check is good for, i believe, 90 days. Now just need tesla to firm up my delivery date.

5. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I went with Navy Federal and their "preapproval" is good for 60 days. there was a cap for me (above 70), but I told them I had $xxxxx.00 set asside for the downpayment and they went $xxxx.00 above what I asked for as a safety margin. I was able to get 1.79 for 72 months. Still need the VIN for the "preapproval" to be valid.

6. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

That's strange about needing the VIN, they gave me a blank check and told me to fill in the VIN when I sign the check over to Tesla. They just asked how much I wanted to finance, no discussion aboutmmymdownpayment or how much the car cost.

7. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

Right, they need the VIN when you give it to Tesla, or it's not valid. Guess my loan person was more chatty.

8. ma91pmh

ma91pmh New Member

For those going with PenFed, are they ok with close to 100% financing? The only downpayment I planned on using was the original $5k reservation, I was going to finance all the rest. I saw mention elsewhere that some institutions may not be comfortable with high LTVs on new concept car.

Another one for the mix is Alliant Credit Union, a bit more expensive at 1.99%. I happened to find them looking for somewhere that did fee-free HSA's :)

9. Petrokalis

Petrokalis S P2420 / X S207

PenFed will max out at 70k. I've read here that they require 15% down to get that amount, but I don't recall seeing that on their website. Given that mine will be closer to 100k, I'm definitely putting at least 15% down to work within the 70k limit.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

To avoid any last minute hiccups with PenFed (and to boost Tesla's Q4 cash reserves! :)), I've just wired the balance of my downpayment (over and above the original $5k deposit) to Tesla and requested them to send me an updated MVPA that reflects

a) the balance due to them which would be the exact amount that I'll be financing with PenFed
    b) 2013 as the model year since I'll be getting mine in January (my original MVPA from August reflects a November delivery and 2012 as the MY)

The Tesla rep asked for a few days to get the paperwork updated (and I'm no rush till early January!) - they are probably swamped with all the December production craziness.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Has anyone on here financed over 70k with a lender or credit union? Which ones? I also planned on financing most of a fully loaded performance....

12. madeleine

madeleine Member

Curious - Do you really have to meet the requirements for membership to be able to apply for their loans?
    Navy Federal Credit Union: Eligibility Checklist

13. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

14. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether the PenFed 1.49% will still be offered into January 2013?

15. Raven

Raven Member

They told me the 1.49% would not be valid after EOY, however, the rate may still be the same in January, if that makes sense. I couldn't understand how they can say your approval is valid for 90 days then.

16. MTGMAN

MTGMAN Member

I spoke with PenFend today and they conformed 1.49% after New Year!:biggrin:

17. Raven

Raven Member

As did I. The latest CSR said 1.49% good even after EOY.

18. silbenny

silbenny Member

Alliant Credit Union- pay 10% and they'll finance the rest (around $80k) for me- 72 months for 1.99%.

19. GDH

GDH Banned

SWEET!....hope it lasts until the end of 2013 when my car is built lmao.

20. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

This is good. Thanks for that info!