Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Financing Tesla vehicles in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please explain based on my numbers if you do t mind - thx
you didnt include enough information.
is 85k before or after tax?
payment term? how much did you put down? etc
try using this calculator but what I mean is when you financie 85 k at 5.66% and you pay $1100, some of the money will go to interest. say ~600-700 will go to principal, rest will go to interest, so even after 8 months you principal hasnt gone down by 8800. but I am simplifying it.. but you get the point

Reactions: mrElbe and TezlaTO
you didnt include enough information.
is 85k before or after tax?
payment term? how much did you put down? etc
try using this calculator but what I mean is when you financie 85 k at 5.66% and you pay $1100, some of the money will go to interest. say ~600-700 will go to principal, rest will go to interest, so even after 8 months you principal hasnt gone down by 8800. but I am simplifying it.. but you get the point
Ya found a calculator online.

As I heard from others, Tesla loan is top-end heavy interest.

My payment is basically $770 to principal out of $1100 for now.
Over some years it’ll offset in my favour more and more but for now, almost 30% of payment going to interest is a huge ouch

Maybe you can maintain that loan and get a new loan for the difference?
That's going to depend on your lending institution, I suppose. But my understanding has always been that the asset that you got the loan for still has to be in your possession as collateral against the amount owing. The only way to assign a new vehicle to it would be to renegotiate the loan, effectively paying out the old one with a new contract.

Has anyone leased recently? Curious about:
  1. Do Tesla offer lease protection (cover for damage at lease end)?
  2. How is the lease return process and do Tesla handle inspection or a third party?
  3. Can you still not buyout the car at lease end?
  4. What are the interest rates and residuals - not a lot of detail on the calculator?
  5. I’m 99% sure the answer is yes but a lease is still valid for for iZEV right?
Any other tips welcome.

Has anyone leased recently? Curious about:
  1. Do Tesla offer lease protection (cover for damage at lease end)?
  2. How is the lease return process and do Tesla handle inspection or a third party?
  3. Can you still not buyout the car at lease end?
  4. What are the interest rates and residuals - not a lot of detail on the calculator?
  5. I’m 99% sure the answer is yes but a lease is still valid for for iZEV right?
Any other tips welcome.
  1. Do Tesla offer lease protection (cover for damage at lease end)? No.
  2. How is the lease return process and do Tesla handle inspection or a third party? Not sure yet. Still 2.5 years away. I guess they deal with a 3rd party.
  3. Can you still not buyout the car at lease end? No you can't.
  4. What are the interest rates and residuals - not a lot of detail on the calculator? In Feb 2022, the interest rates was over 4%. You can get a quote from Tesla at there Service Center. All the informations will be written on the paper they'll give you.
  5. I’m 99% sure the answer is yes but a lease is still valid for for iZEV right? Yes. Federal and Provincial if any in your province.

For those of you who took delivery of your cars, if you made a down payment using a bank draft, did Tesla give you a receipt for it? Tesla told me they don't give receipts. A bit nerve racking giving away a draft without any proof, other than the car of course :)

For those of you who took delivery of your cars, if you made a down payment using a bank draft, did Tesla give you a receipt for it? Tesla told me they don't give receipts. A bit nerve racking giving away a draft without any proof, other than the car of course :)
Well, in your contract it says that you paid the downpayment in X amount and then you and Tesla will both sign it at the spot. Plus, you'll have the copy of the bank draft which the bank gives it to you. So, don't worry about it. Done it 3 times with Tesla and had no issues.

Not a Tesla thing. Paid off my GMC lease a couple of weeks ago and they couldn’t give me a receipt either.